advertisement

Wiim mini

I have been using the Wiim mini for a few months and I like it. I've been waiting for a product like this to come along for quite a while. I like to stream from my NAS and sometimes from Spotify. The CCA didn't do this and I felt I might be wasting money buying a node since I have the JoLida DAC. Anyway, it has been a welcome addition. I got tired of Raspberry Pi and re-flashing etc so much so that I have done without the NAS for about 18 months.

However the mini is not without fault. When reading the album or artist folder from my NAS it doesn't ever go past "J" in the the alphabetised list. It isn't the end of the world because I can scroll through artist index where the lists are sub-sectioned A-C, D-F, etc. I cannot get BBC Sounds to connect to the Wiim either - Jon Hopkins at the Proms anyone? Does anyone else have these problems and know of a fix?

But yeah - it is a good piece of kit. I have three Chromecast audio that are now just in a box.

£399 Wimm Amp
60W Class D streaming amplifier

Yep - there's a lot coming out from WiiM in the coming months.
The CI (custom install) products are looking great too (4 zone WiiM streamer/amp) plus this one which I think will be a game changer for those looking for easy to use, multi-room solutions that are easily scalable!

So what speakers would be good with this streamer/amp for kitchen system?
Small bookshelf or Inwall / In Ceiling for WAF

I’ve had a day off today (Son has Covid) so I’ve been playing about with the graphic eq on the wiim mini.
First I used some test tones & measured them with the decibel ex app. Bit basic I know but it gave me db levels from 30hz through to 18khz.
Quite a few peaks & dips so adjusted what I could to get somewhere near similar db levels across the spectrum within reason.
Wow it works really well.
Next to play with the parametric eq.
This thing is insane for £89.

I’ve had a day off today (Son has Covid) so I’ve been playing about with the graphic eq on the wiim mini.
First I used some test tones & measured them with the decibel ex app. Bit basic I know but it gave me db levels from 30hz through to 18khz.
Quite a few peaks & dips so adjusted what I could to get somewhere near similar db levels across the spectrum within reason.
Wow it works really well.
Next to play with the parametric eq.
This thing is insane for £89.
I need to do the same and an App called Hoise Curve was recommended on the Will FB group.

I managed to pick up some immaculate AVI ADM9T’s for £400 last year, Wiim Mini was £71 on promotion. I cannot imagine anything would touch that system for under £500! The software is absolutely brilliant and constantly updated too.

I need to do the same and an App called Hoise Curve was recommended on the Will FB group.

I managed to pick up some immaculate AVI ADM9T’s for £400 last year, Wiim Mini was £71 on promotion. I cannot imagine anything would touch that system for under £500! The software is absolutely brilliant and constantly updated too.
I will have a search for that app thanks Jez.
It’s weird but my normal listening level was 88db now it’s 80db.
Obviously turning it up to hear certain frequencies better but they are all pretty balanced now within reason.

I like my little Wii puck..but when I compare it to my Chromebook via usb into jolida DAC ( Wii puck uses the toslink into same jolida DAC ) Chromebook so much better! But the convenience of the Wii puck is fantastic..all my internet radio and BBC sounds and Qobuz is just there..all from my phone! It's odd though? You would think both devices going into same DAC would sound the same?

Get your popcorn out!

I was powering my Mini with a USB charger and replaced it with an unassuming xiaomi power brick. Give it a try, be interesting to compare notes.

I like my little Wii puck..but when I compare it to my Chromebook via usb into jolida DAC ( Wii puck uses the toslink into same jolida DAC ) Chromebook so much better! But the convenience of the Wii puck is fantastic..all my internet radio and BBC sounds and Qobuz is just there..all from my phone! It's odd though? You would think both devices going into same DAC would sound the same?
Not necessarily.
It maybe that the usb input on the jolida is superior.
Bit tricky if it’s not apples for apples.

Get your popcorn out!

I was powering my Mini with a USB charger and replaced it with an unassuming xiaomi power brick. Give it a try, be interesting to compare notes.
Not given trying a different power supply a thought.
How much are they & what improvements are you hearing?

Not given trying a different power supply a thought.
How much are they & what improvements are you hearing?

You could try any battery power brick if you've got one hanging around.

I just found the music more engaging via Mojo2/Eligia. I'm not really into analytical listening, with so many variables what I experience will unlikely be a good indication of your experience. But this is so cheap, I just thought it worth mentioning.

👍

You could try any battery power brick if you've got one hanging around.

I just found the music more engaging via Mojo2/Eligia. I'm not really into analytical listening, with so many variables what I experience will unlikely be a good indication of your experience. But this is so cheap, I just thought it worth mentioning.

👍
Power supply - something like this? It's a portable charger with power bank.
INIU Power Bank, 10000mAh Slimmest Fast Charging Portable Charger, 22.5W Mobile Phone Charger PD3.0 QC4.0, Powerbank USB C Input & Output Battery pack

Power supply - something like this? It's a portable charger with power bank.
INIU Power Bank, 10000mAh Slimmest Fast Charging Portable Charger, 22.5W Mobile Phone Charger PD3.0 QC4.0, Powerbank USB C Input & Output Battery pack

Yes. Something like that. I just had one so tried it.

Several people have found the IFI’s to be a useful upgrade.

Isn’t it generally known that battery packs are pretty dirty supply wise and therefore to be avoided?

Several people have found the IFI’s to be a useful upgrade.

Isn’t it generally known that battery packs are pretty dirty supply wise and therefore to be avoided?
Battery is dirty? Didn't know this..how? I have used a AA battery pack on some of my t amps and it sounded very good!

Get your popcorn out!

I used a little portable charging bank just with about 90 seconds of an acoustic recording of Mirel Wagner and switched back to the stock Wiim power supply. The first thing that struck me was the difference in floor noise. I'll need a bit of time to listen some more but that is a nice wee tip. My power bank is just an Anker device I bought to take camping, certainly nothing fancy.

advertisement

Back