advertisement

Wiim mini

Just playing with my Pro. First impressions with ifi silentPower PSU playing Radio Paradise flac over Chromecast and digital coax out are that it doesn't outperform my CCA with glass Toslink, Ethernet adapter and ifi silentPower. Early days though.
But, the app features and interface are very nice indeed and native Radio Paradise and BBC radio are an unexpected bonus. Looks like a Node killer.

Last edited:
Just acquired some speakers for my cabin to match the Wiim Mini. Need to decide where to put them now! AVI ADM9T’s:

09406282-B751-4CBB-BBDD-A0A755E2F33D.jpeg

Wiim pro user here, i havent tried the coax output yet to compare with my digi+ with hat, and only tried Radio Paradise so far, but I am very impressed. So much 'cleaner' a solution to the Pi. Dont get me wrong, I love PI's but I have been waiting for an unrestricted streamer for ages. This will form the front end into my DAC for a long while.

Another new and extremely happy Wiim Pro user here. Got it yesterday, took about 5 minutes to unbox, set up, and start playback from Spotify or Plex. It looks good, feels well-made, the app is great, and it sounds better with Spotify than the outgoing Chromecast Audio since it uses Spotify Connect and not the Chromecast protocol which Spotify restrict the bitrate when you use it. I'm using Ethernet rather than wi-fi, so it's super snappy in operation.

Great product, long may it be supported and I look forward to seeing what else they come up with in the future.

Is the DAC in the pro any better?

They are apparently the same, I have a pro and haven't tried the analogue out, I just use coax to external DAC, very satisfying. Big improvement over using my aging Mac pro as source. I am using using apple music as streaming source but haven't done the comparison between local files and streamed versions over Airplay2. I've certainly used both and couldn't really say that I could pick a significant difference, local file seem maybe bit fuller.

They are apparently the same, I have a pro and haven't tried the analogue out, I just use coax to external DAC, very satisfying. Big improvement over using my aging Mac pro as source. I am using using apple music as streaming source but haven't done the comparison between local files and streamed versions over Airplay2. I've certainly used both and couldn't really say that I could pick a significant difference, local file seem maybe bit fuller.

Thanks, I’ve wanted one for ages to see about breaking free from the Sonos world. That helps me make my mind up. I’m in the market for a new amp so may get one with a DAC and see how I go.

Hooked up a Pro yesterday, 2 mins out of the box and streaming Qobuz via Ethernet/ coax out into Benchmark dac2. Initial sound was a tad hard/ harsh/ budget cd but after an hour or so it calmed down and sounded excellent. Bass and space are areas where it outperforms my old friend the Squeezebox Touch( connected in the same manner), bit perfect out via coax must have something to do with it.
An amazing bargain(£149) that can only get better when they sort LMS compatibility.

Been using my Pro for a couple of days now, using digital coax out into my Saturn-R DAC.

One word of caution, the recessed coax socket on the Pro meant I couldn't use my 1 metre Chord Digital coax interconnect as it has a plastic sheath on the end of the plug which is a larger diameter than the recess on the Pro. Fortunately my 1/2 metre Mark Grant Digital interconnect was just long enough.

Like cooky I had it up & running in a few minutes, in my case using Tidal Connect. First impressions entirely positive. Made so many changes to my system recently that make any meaningful comments over sq improvements impossible but what I can say is streaming from Tidal hifi sounds superb, certainly just as good as playing a CD.

Use an iFi 5v PSU with mine, not done an AB comparison with a standard phone charger PSU so not sure what improvements, if any, that brings.

TS

Should also add that I use WiFi with mine, connected instantly, just like the WiiM Mini unlike the faff I used to have to go through every time I had try & reconnect my Allo Digione Sig.

TS

Been using my Pro for a couple of days now, using digital coax out into my Saturn-R DAC.

One word of caution, the recessed coax socket on the Pro meant I couldn't use my 1 metre Chord Digital coax interconnect as it has a plastic sheath on the end of the plug which is a larger diameter than the recess on the Pro. Fortunately my 1/2 metre Mark Grant Digital interconnect was just long enough.

I noticed this too, the boggo cable I used only just squeezed in, let alone anything fancy. Seems like a bit of an own goal on their part.

Not had any trouble using chord prodac lead with plastic coated vee plugs here..might not be so lucky with a couple of others I own though.

How is the professional superior to the cheaper version if they’re both bit perfect and employ the same DAC?

advertisement

Back