advertisement

Wiim mini

Just checked and it now says… on the Pro page
  • Roon Ready - currently in certification with Roon (est. by early Q2 or earlier)

Reactions: RoA
It is supposed to be released certified in this month. - I will wait until then. Once that is done it looks like an upgrade to a CCA.

Update on my WiiM pro experience, well I've returned it to Amazon.
It sounded impressive initially but over a few weeks as more and more tracks took on a hard slightly fierce and in your face sound that was fatiguing I found myself switching back to my Squeezebox touch, the difference wasn't subtle.I'd even tried a heavily built well specd linear 5 v dc supply which failed to improve things, a 192/24 Ziggy stardust would strip the enamel off your teeth.
I was aware of the hardness from the off but suspect the mellowing effect that I had attributed to warm up was in fact the onset of a covid infection bunging up my ears.
Give it a go though you may like it. As to how bit perfect can sound harsh is anyone's guess but it was easy to hear via essentially pro gear(BM DAC2+ATC SCM100ASLs).

That isnt my experience, but then my rig is much smaller in cost and size (WiimPro into a Loxjie D40 dac and AE actives).

I’ll try Wiim Mini v Bluesound Node2i with Fidelity Audio upgrades. Into a Weiss DAC202 and ATC SCM40A’s.

I’d expect the Bluesound to be better (damned well should be!) but we will see…

Update on my WiiM pro experience, well I've returned it to Amazon.
It sounded impressive initially but over a few weeks as more and more tracks took on a hard slightly fierce and in your face sound that was fatiguing I found myself switching back to my Squeezebox touch, the difference wasn't subtle.I'd even tried a heavily built well specd linear 5 v dc supply which failed to improve things, a 192/24 Ziggy stardust would strip the enamel off your teeth.
I was aware of the hardness from the off but suspect the mellowing effect that I had attributed to warm up was in fact the onset of a covid infection bunging up my ears.
Give it a go though you may like it. As to how bit perfect can sound harsh is anyone's guess but it was easy to hear via essentially pro gear(BM DAC2+ATC SCM100ASLs).

Do you have the EQ and the MQA switched off? Otherwise if you’re using the devices digital output, which is bit perfect, I’m not sure how that can change over time to give a ‘harder’ sound.

Do you have the EQ and the MQA switched off? Otherwise if you’re using the devices digital output, which is bit perfect, I’m not sure how that can change over time to give a ‘harder’ sound.
Read my posts again. Eq off, mqa off, full output level, digital coax out. My initial impression of a hard/ harshness turned out to be the correct one in my system at least, the change over a few weeks was probably due to my covid infection and the associated congestion clearing over time.

I was tempted to go for one of these because although i have a pi4 sat in a box it gives me a nosebleed every time i drag it out and try to get it running. I’ll just stick with the MacBookpro into the dac I think

IMG-4174.jpg

It’s a versatile thing. I fancied a “now playing screen” so I did this today as a test. Installed on a spare Raspberry Pi and outputting to a TV for now. Copied the details from here:

https://github.com/retired-guy/WiiM-HDMI

Worked first time. Then I worked out how to set it to auto run at startup. It’s a bit overkill at TV size though so the next step is to find myself a little screen for the Pi.

Read my posts again. Eq off, mqa off, full output level, digital coax out. My initial impression of a hard/ harshness turned out to be the correct one in my system at least, the change over a few weeks was probably due to my covid infection and the associated congestion clearing over time.

Apologies Cooky couldn’t see where in this thread you said that the EQ and MQA were off?

Mine seems to sound identical to the rest of my streamers via my dac.
I don’t have the pro though.

I was tempted to go for one of these because although i have a pi4 sat in a box it gives me a nosebleed every time i drag it out and try to get it running. I’ll just stick with the MacBookpro into the dac I think

I might be able to help you with the rpi4 and I recommend a hot poker for the nosebleed :eek::oops:

Drop me a PM is you like o_O....or not:p

ronnie

advertisement

Back