advertisement

WigWam Scalford 2014 pics etc

Just to correct a couple of points about Snells. Peter Snell died in 1984. PQ carried on selling the original Snell designs (K, J/II, E/II, C, A/II and A/III) until about 1990 when Snell finally decided not make those any more & push their newer Kevin Voecks designs instead. Audio Note did not buy or get any empty cabinets from Snell. Almost immediately they decided to opt for higher sensitivity & undoped cones so never really made any actual recreations of Ks Js or Es. They are good speakers in their own right but dont really sound like their Snell equivalents.

Kevin Voecks of course went onto Harman to head up the design team at Revel.

I fondly remember PJ in Guildford selling the Snells along with Guy's amps and the Rock TT.

Someone will be bigging up Missions next :)

Just to correct a couple of points about Snells. Peter Snell died in 1984. PQ carried on selling the original Snell designs (K, J/II, E/II, C, A/II and A/III) until about 1990 when Snell finally decided not make those any more & push their newer Kevin Voecks designs instead. Audio Note did not buy or get any empty cabinets from Snell. Almost immediately they decided to opt for higher sensitivity & undoped cones so never really made any actual recreations of Ks Js or Es. They are good speakers in their own right but dont really sound like their Snell equivalents.

I agree. The Snells and the Audionotes are two different lines of speaker, although with some shared design history.
I tend to prefer the Snells, but they are very elderly these days. A nice pair of Snell As are just lovely, even if they resemble wardrobes.

There's Missions and Missions.
Missions designed by Farad Azima, Robin Marshall, Peter Comeau, likely many more.
None of them sound very alike.

So, Guy, can you give us any comparative impressions of Snell Js vs AN/Js, out of interest?

The Js we've heard at Scalford for the last couple of years are such direct speakers; horns are full bodied and trumpets leap out. They are undoubtedly bright, but in a realistic way, like trumpets. (This is in contrast, for example, to some active studio monitors I might mention, with shrieking tendencies.) I don't really have a developed idea of ANJs. But I know Es sound nothing like the Snell Js and Ks I've heard.

There's Missions and Missions.
Missions designed by Farad Azima, Robin Marshall, Peter Comeau, likely many more.
None of them sound very alike.

I thought your setup was really good - I was keen to get back upstairs and fire a track from Spotify to your fancy little Airplay receiver - I did not get chance to - so I will leave it to you how good this track sounds on your system - please get back to me with your reaction...

The Spotify track is "The Curse" "Agnes Obel . Aventine"

I thought your setup was really good - I was keen to get back upstairs and fire a track from Spotify to your fancy little Airplay receiver - I did not get chance to - so I will leave it to you how good this track sounds on your system - please get back to me with your reaction...

The Spotify track is "The Curse" "Agnes Obel . Aventine"

Ah yes, I remember you were trying to get signal on the iPhone.
Really bad signal in that place.
Thanks for the comments on the kit - quite a few people went away saying their next port of call was eBay looking for old Marantz and AR, so if this nice old gear gets more exposure that's job done IMO.

I'll take a listen to the track this evening.

I really enjoyed you set up Stefan,it sounded excellent in that room,
Keith.

Thanks Keith,

I never managed to get to your room, sorry, there were some very positive comments over on the WAM about it though, next year hopefully ill get out more!!

Keith didn't have a room (though I would have loved to hear the Monaco).Purite North had a room and PureSound had a room (that was very good).

Which quadrophonic system was Serge using, Robert? QS, SQ, or CD4?

Chris

It was SQ.
Serge found a chip set for sale so bought them and made up the decoder. There are not many SQ records available so the choice of music is very limited. When I was there the record being played had the musicians surrounding the audience. More a novelty than high fidelity.
Hats off to Serge for doing something different (and making it evident why these systems never caught on)
If I understood correctly the system had an inter channel crosstalk of only -3dB and used some sort of manipulation to increase it.

It was SQ.
Serge found a chip set for sale so bought them and made up the decoder. There are not many SQ records available so the choice of music is very limited. When I was there the record being played had the musicians surrounding the audience. More a novelty than high fidelity.
Hats off to Serge for doing something different (and making it evident why these systems never caught on)
If I understood correctly the system had an inter channel crosstalk of only -3dB and used some sort of manipulation to increase it.

Yes a great effort to do something different.

Some of the old US built receivers have SQ decoders fitted. For anyone wanting to experiment that might be a simpler and more economic proposition. Asuming you can find any discs of course.

You need 10K posts on the Wam before you can say things like that!

Haha. I've said it over there so I guess Ill be banned from next year.

I really enjoyed our chat about bass systems on Sunday afternoon, i'd like ot learn more about that, any posts or white paper you can point me to?

Stefan

I don't know - they are certainly very different people and appear to do entirely different stuff

Purite Audio North was demonstrating two systems one with Sonneteer electronics and another using some of ours. Both via Acoustic Energy speakers iirc. I didn't have any involvement in it. They seemed to be doing a perfectly good job by themselves.

I'm not sure what the connection to Keith's company is. Some shared stock items presumably.

I'm afraid I didn't bother with either of the Puerile North demos as they weren't sufficiently interesting.

advertisement

Back