advertisement

WigWam Scalford 2014 pics etc

There's Missions and Missions.
Missions designed by Farad Azima, Robin Marshall, Peter Comeau, likely many more.
None of them sound very alike.

.... and your Missions sounded very good considering their age. I have the opportunity of buying a good pair of old Mission 781's for £30 - are they worth a punt for this price? Are they designed by one of the above mentioned...?

It was SQ.
Serge found a chip set for sale so bought them and made up the decoder. There are not many SQ records available so the choice of music is very limited. When I was there the record being played had the musicians surrounding the audience. More a novelty than high fidelity.
Hats off to Serge for doing something different (and making it evident why these systems never caught on)
If I understood correctly the system had an inter channel crosstalk of only -3dB and used some sort of manipulation to increase it.

I have about 50 of the buggers! Santana S & G, John Lennon, It's A beautifil Day, Miles Davis, ....

Chris

You could have definitely raised the interest levels in Serge's room with some of those...

Paul

.... and your Missions sounded very good considering their age. I have the opportunity of buying a good pair of old Mission 781's for £30 - are they worth a punt for this price? Are they designed by one of the above mentioned...?

Those were AR4xa from 1972/3.

The 781 is a Mission/Cyrus hybrid sold under both names. Smooth and refined - quite warm sounding compared to most Mission designs. Quite early models and in-house Azima designs.
There were three in that range, Cyrus 780, 781 and 782 which is a 781 with two bass drivers in a taller sealed cabinet. All are worth a punt and I still haves some little 780s knocking around somewhere. The two larger models have rubber driver surrounds so should still be working well. 780 has foam and would need some work by now.

A steal for £30, grab them.

I thought your setup was really good - I was keen to get back upstairs and fire a track from Spotify to your fancy little Airplay receiver - I did not get chance to - so I will leave it to you how good this track sounds on your system - please get back to me with your reaction...

The Spotify track is "The Curse" "Agnes Obel . Aventine"

Great track, thanks for the heads up :)

Speaking as an exhibitor I'd just like to thank anyone who came along.
We are all enthusiasts, both here and on the Wam, and it needs exhibitors showing their kit and attendees paying their money to work.
Please dont forget this is not a commercial show.
We're not trying to sell stuff.
Just happy to be there amongst like minded individuals.
Soundwise, it aint easy.
Many only got access to rooms at 0900hrs, the show starts at 1000hrs.
In terms of music, if you dont like what's playing, ask for something else.
I personally was delighted to play anything anybody asked me, irrespective of my tastes. I use the word "taste" in respect of my music very loosely. ;-)
It was a really fun weekend and I sincerely hope the paying public got something out of it.
Hope to see you next year.
Cheers
Steve

Good points well made Steve.
I've exhibited myself twice.
Its a massive undertaking.
Strip all your hifi down, box it all up, cram it (records, cd's, cables, your
clothes) into a car or hired van.
Drive often 100's of miles to Scalford and then cart it into the hotel (often in the rain) & up some stairs.
Then rebuild your hifi & pray hard it still functions.
And then...it will sound worse, due to the room you're in.
Spend Sunday swapping records/cds, answering questions and being diplomatic & patient.
Then take it apart & drive home again.
A huge amount of time, expense, planning and you will be totally knackered for days afterwards.

Thing is...it is not a commercial show.
So cutting exhibitors a fair bit of slack is reasonable & to my mind shows an understanding of how hifi behaves in the real world, as opposed to a test bench.
But more than that, you must have a sense of humour.
Thankfully there are still a sufficient number of hifi enthusiasts with one.
And thats what The Scalford Show is about.

Well said.

This was my first Scalford as exhibitor and it was great fun.
It's all about presenting a huge variety of different kit and a massively different range of sounds - stuff you just won't see at a commercial show in most cases.
Trade shows can seem quite 'samey' and boring after you've been to a Scalford :)

Shame it's so short. All that effort and it's over in a flash.
It really needs to be 2 days IMO, or at the very least finish a bit later - perhaps 7pm, since it's impossible to get around everything without rushing. That presents its own problems of course as people need time to set up and get home in reasonable time.

The answer Rob is stay over saturday nite & get a preview of the systems.
And a hangover.
Then get to Scalford early on Sunday so you're ahead of the hoards.

And to put another angle on this thread, I've seen a band (Midlake) play the same set in 2 diffrent venues.
One was the gig of my life & the other was just good.
So the room/venue/environment has a significant influence on the sound.

It (Scalford) is a equal mix of graft and fun for the exhibitors. Saturday is hard enough, especially having to drink all the horrible beer, and eat curry. Then you have to endure the ritual pisstake from the Yorkshire Massive.
(Being of a shy retiring nature I always find this to be very hard.)

Sunday is a different type of hard work. You have maybe 60 to 90 minutes to try and sort the system and sound before the clatter of boots comes down the corridor. (I did not get my room right at all this year) Then you are trying to vary what you play, chatting to the visitors etc. Come closing time you are ready to collapse a while. Instead you have a system to strip, re box and hump back to the car/van.

On the upside it is great that more people are bringing music with them and asking for it to be played, the exhibitors know the music they have brought, so a change and new to them really is welcome.

It is really nice, for a weekend a year not to be the odd one out, you can talk about music, kit, and live events with people that have as much enthusiasm and experience (or more) as you do .

I hope the visitors enjoy the day as much as the exhibitors do.

Please don't go down the 2 day route, for one my liver could not stand it, and the financial implications do not stand thinking about, both for the exhibitors and the show as whole. It works as is because its the Wams annual social.

It's all about presenting a huge variety of different kit and a massively different range of sounds - stuff you just won't see at a commercial show in most cases.
Trade shows can seem quite 'samey' and boring after you've been to a Scalford :)
I couldn't agree more.

Hmm, looks like I should have gone instead of spending my Sunday rewiring a tonearm. It must be said that Scalford is tiny compared to trade shows, I easily covered last year's event in one afternoon.

You did well then. 50 rooms at 5 minutes each takes over 4 hours.

There'd always be quite a few rooms I'd want to stay longer in or go back to.

That's about right. Well, I did skip the rooms I wasn't interested in and revisited others I liked. And there were a few I could never seem to get into.

The answer Rob is stay over saturday nite & get a preview of the systems.
And a hangover.
Then get to Scalford early on Sunday so you're ahead of the hoards.

Did that. Far too much guinness on the Saturday night, and on top of the excellent) curry. Hangover and DTs on Sunday :(
I'd probably have been ready for action by about Monday afternoon :D

I agree. The Snells and the Audionotes are two different lines of speaker, although with some shared design history.
I tend to prefer the Snells, but they are very elderly these days. A nice pair of Snell As are just lovely, even if they resemble wardrobes.

Last time I was in the testing room of ASC (where they design Tube Traps), they were using a pair of Snell Type A speakers. In that room/setup, they were completely amazing.

If they were small standmount loudspeakers then they were transported in the boot of my car, both there and back. There was someone interested in using them but I don't think that they got in contact during the show. They were also going to be a backup in case the Quads failed to work!

If they were small standmount loudspeakers then they were transported in the boot of my car, both there and back. There was someone interested in using them but I don't think that they got in contact during the show. They were also going to be a backup in case the Quads failed to work!

Oh, we could have swapped those around with the ARs.
They'd have probably worked as a direct swap without much faff.

Sorry James, it would have been interesting, especially in Robert's system, which was right next door.

Paul

advertisement

Back