advertisement

Who's heard the new ProAc SM100's?

Elite Audio are a great dealer. Bought virtually all of my hifi from them over the last month or so.

As far as amps are concerned I'd be tempted by the Audiozen I have (sure Elite would do you a good deal in light of what's happened) or the Spec amp for sale by Purite on here.

That's superb of EA/Mark, you can't go wrong with buying from him or his brother Gary/AE - have i got that/them the right way around... can't remember now.

I'm using an Audionet DNA 2.0 http://en.audionet.de/machines/dna/
Sugden are superb, they are an amazing bastille or ye old days where the customer really comes first.
Naim is a good match but runs out of steam when needed. IMHO
You just missed the sale of my DNA 1 which i sold for just under 3K, thats 7.5K new - a great match for the SM100's 120w but never ran out of steam and drove them perfectly.
Alternatively look out for a Densen B150 or Ask Elite for a price on a B175XS ;-) i was v close to buying that one and an outboard DAC.
Another one would be a used Rega OSIRIS + DAC...

They are certainly highly recommend from me in future.

I like the A21.
Demo of SN2 at home revealved that the Sugden was holding a little back.

However before I jumped back in Naim I wanted to explore other things. So the Densen or the DNA sounds interesting.

How would you say a Densen B130 or B150 compares to an equal price Naim.
Say an SN2? Or 200/202.

There are some reasonable priced B130s going online and wondered if it would be a good intro to Densen? One at EA.

Cheers
Adam

Before you write off buying new, ask EA for new prices... you'd be surprised what kind of discount they'll offer you.
The B150XS would be the sweet spot if you don't want to fork out c5K for the B175XS - both kick the SN2 into the long grass IMHO

The DNA 1 & SM100s is again in another league, beautiful combo with built DAC and streaming.

Are you using roon?

The B130XS is superb in all aspects. I do not see necessary the extra power and investment of the B150xs to amplify the proac. I prefer to add an external 1NRG power supply to the B130XS (not to be confused with DNRG). Catapult of stratospheric shape the qualitative level of the amplifier placing it at a level of tremendous benefits. It should not be an upgrade option, it should be sold together.

21615979_749462848578948_1489120289548909532_n.jpg

32782239_803664133158819_956732148759396352_o.jpg

Cheers

However before I jumped back in Naim I wanted to explore other things. So the Densen or the DNA sounds interesting.
Cheers
Adam

Comparing the Densen to the Audionet directly would be difficult; the Audionet DNA1 is an integrated solution, the Densen is just an amp. As an amp alone, the Audionet is in a completely different league to the Densen 130 and 150 (I've had both). The elements (i.e. DAC, streamer and amplifier) in the DNA1 work wonderfully together to produce a really superb piece of kit. No synergy concerns, no interconnects, streaming and network player, more than adequate app to control it.

On the Naim front; the Nova would be the obvious comparison to the DNA1 (they both offer very similar functionality). No contest on SQ front, IMO (and, yes, I've heard the Nova in my system). The Audionet is far in front. Mind you, you might expect that from the price difference!

I do like Densen amps, but the 130 and 150 are not exceptional, IMO. I've not heard these with the power supply alluded to above. But in comparison to a DNA1; apples and pears.

Incidentally, I bought Cereal Killer 's DNA1 and it is, by some margin, the best SS amp I've had (and I've had over 50 amps over the past 40 years or so). I'm not sure I'd pay £7,200 for one new but if you can find a decent example used then I doubt you'd ever be disappointed.

Thanks for the info guys.

The Audionets are out of scope for at least 6 months. But keen to move on from Sugden A21 soon. I find it glassy or fattened up in the mids and lacking real transparency. As well as slighty rounded off in the highs and lows.

SN2 would be fine but cant help but wonder what else is out there. Tried Croft, Exposure, Soneteer, Audion (Valve), Classe, Naim but none of them did much for me apart from the SN2 which was clean but has that Naim thing.

The Densen B130XS is going for a decent price and could be a good step into Densen without gambling on a big purchase. The 175XS has rave reviews.

Is the Densen 130 is open, musical and rhythmic?

I love music when it is spacious, atmospheric and when it sparkles / shimmers. I want to hear those highs twinkle and flow.

The Sugden is doing my wig in. As much as sometimes it's nice. It just can't do the things I need it to!

My system:
Innuos Zenith (Not Roon setup yet)
Chord Hugo2
Sugden A21
ProAc SM100 (and Studio 118s)

Cheers
Adam

The B130XS acting without the 1nrg source is already an amplifier full of accentuation power and expressive component. Presentation full of air and a sense of space. With the arrival of the 1nrg, not nrg, it becomes an amplifier madness with endless harmonic decompositions and quality of the extremes of addictive tonal balance, especially at the upper end, which is liquid and shines through natural extinction times.

As for its boogie factor, this video collects that aspect very well, even though at the time of the video the B130XS barely had 5 hours of use.

I know that audionet is very good. The old SAM 2 possessed a tonal balance of style to the bow Wazoo and densen DM10MK2.

The B130XS allows you a more comfortable initial investment to later comfortably go climbing with a 1nrg and even the possibility of inserting a fabelcast card inside.
I currently enjoy a tablette ten signature next to my DM10MK2 that recently made a full recap and original values of bias and DC.

Try to try, if you can, both the Densen and the Audionet.

If you could borrow an Audiozen Alchemy I think you might be surprised.

Has plenty of power with some delicacy and a wonderful top end.

I got mine from Elite and they may be able to advise you on this.

The Audionets are out of scope for at least 6 months. But keen to move on from Sugden A21 soon. I find it glassy or fattened up in the mids and lacking real transparency. As well as slighty rounded off in the highs and lows.

SN2 would be fine but cant help but wonder what else is out there. Tried Croft, Exposure, Soneteer, Audion (Valve), Classe, Naim but none of them did much for me apart from the SN2 which was clean but has that Naim thing.

The Densen B130XS is going for a decent price and could be a good step into Densen without gambling on a big purchase. The 175XS has rave reviews.

I love music when it is spacious, atmospheric and when it sparkles / shimmers. I want to hear those highs twinkle and flow.

The Sugden is doing my wig in. As much as sometimes it's nice. It just can't do the things I need it to!

My system:
Chord Hugo2
Sugden A21

Cheers
Adam

Just a thought on this. I've not been that impressed by the Chord Hugo to be honest, particularly at its current price level. Unless you absolutely love it, you could sell it and your Sugden and then be a long way towards a 'better' amp.

On the amp front, I think you might like Moon. The 240i would also give you digital inputs, whilst the ACE would additionally provide network play/streaming via the excellent MiND module. the 240i is £2K new. There are a few ACE models around ex dem at present. I had an ACE and it's a very capable package. Open and spacious, certainly comes to mind. If you want to move further up the ladder, then the 340i is the next stop. You can usually pick up one of these with the digital input options for around £2500 or less (well over £4K new).

My system:
Chord Hugo2
Sugden A21

Cheers
Adam

Perhaps try Hegel. Seems to be treading a nice path between more characterful examples of the breed. Network player/DAC functionality too.

Going back to SM100, can those who have listened describe what end of the tonal spectrum they are on, warm or bright? Too much top end or too little? Forgiving or unforgiving? Fast or slow bass timing? Thin or thick sound? How do they compare with other speakers they have tried? Thanks.

Last edited:
Going back to SM100, can those who have listened describe what end of the tonal spectrum they are on, warm or bright? Too much top end or too little? Forgiving or unforgiving? Fast or slow bass timing? Thin or thick sound? How do they compare with other speakers they have tried? Thanks.

I have found that they react perfectly to whatever you feed them with. They are very flexible and work well with amps 12 watts and up with no issues. With a 12 watt SET amp they sounded huge, on the warmer side of neutral with an expansive soundstage. With a Sugden A21 they sounded clear and direct.

The closest speaker that I have been able to compare them to was a pair of Harbeth 30.1's. They wiped the floor with those speakers in virtually every area.

Just a thought on this. I've not been that impressed by the Chord Hugo to be honest, particularly at its current price level. Unless you absolutely love it, you could sell it and your Sugden and then be a long way towards a 'better' amp.

On the amp front, I think you might like Moon. The 240i would also give you digital inputs, whilst the ACE would additionally provide network play/streaming via the excellent MiND module. the 240i is £2K new. There are a few ACE models around ex dem at present. I had an ACE and it's a very capable package. Open and spacious, certainly comes to mind. If you want to move further up the ladder, then the 340i is the next stop. You can usually pick up one of these with the digital input options for around £2500 or less (well over £4K new).

Where would you go DAC wise? If not the Hugo2. And why not impressed?

Cheers
Adam

Where would you go DAC wise? If not the Hugo2. And why not impressed?

Cheers
Adam
I haven't heard the Hugo2 but have owned the Mojo and 2Qute. Assuming the house sound is similar I always felt that the presentation of both Chords was a little on the unnatural side. There was masses of information and detail but at the expense of musicality to my ears. I can understand why some people may like the presentation though - just wasn't for me.

I preferred the Aries Mini's internal DAC to be honest which was bested by an Audio Note 0.1x and subsequently a Schiit Gungnir Multibit.

advertisement

Back