advertisement

Who's bought their last tank of petrol?

Steve, I’ll raise you kris rifa in an Audi e-tron GT, 1200 km in one day with just 120 minutes of charging stops.

Very nice and how much would that be, cheap runaround is it? Will it's purchase be taking the dirtiest vehicles off the road, or replacing one of the cleanest? ;)

Gov are talking about banning sales of gas boilers fairly soon - so old boilers as they die will have to be replace with sumat else.

I’m 62 and a heating engineer that won’t happen in my life time.

They tried to do away with gas boilers back in 2016 and abandoned it cause all electric houses just don’t work, yet!

There was a few trials run in new build housing estates (central England I think) but they ended up ripping out the non gas stuff and retrofitted gas central heating boilers.

I’m sure it will happen but even 2030 will be too soon although in saying that my local merchant have hybrid systems currently on display they’re ASHPs and gas central heating boilers so no doubt the move away from gas is already on btw ASHPs need to be installed in really well insulated properties and there are far too many properties in the Uk where insulating them to a high standard is almost impossible.

Gov are talking about banning sales of gas boilers fairly soon - so old boilers as they die will have to be replace with sumat else.
Utter nonsense!
All they are doing is not allowing them to be installed in new properties soon.

Increased demand (from EV’s) will increase electricity costs. Maybe it’s different in CH but in the UK right now electricity costs are exploding.

I think you are not quite understanding the economics. If there was a fixed amount of electricity out there, then yes, supply and demand would cause costs to increase if there was higher demand. However, the cost of generating electricity is dropping, as we're getting better at working out how to produce renewables. Here for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_...:3-Learning-curves-for-electricity-prices.png

Basically, demand drives installation of more supply, and economies of scale, and experience of how to do it means we're able to reduce the costs and increase the production from the installations.

And then when you get your first ev, you’ll be saying to yourself ‘why on earth didn’t i do this sooner’ ;-)

I looked into buying an EV van about seven years ago and the numbers didn’t add up then.

One of my neighbours has a Nissan 200 EV £25,000 he paid less the government grant think it was £18k he paid in reality.

He works part time in a local hotel about three miles away, his van rarely moves but he is a big SNP supporter so maybe that’s why he bought it.

I looked again at buying one last year after speaking with him, mainly to reduce my NI & Tax for this current financial year but the vans are all old tech or were last October so I gave up.

Last edited:
I think you are not quite understanding the economics. If there was a fixed amount of electricity out there, then yes, supply and demand would cause costs to increase if there was higher demand. However, the cost of generating electricity is dropping, as we're getting better at working out how to produce renewables. Here for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_...:3-Learning-curves-for-electricity-prices.png

Basically, demand drives installation of more supply, and economies of scale, and experience of how to do it means we're able to reduce the costs and increase the production from the installations.

Well, we’re seeing the exact opposite in our bills.

Yeah
And back in the 50s we were told nuclear power was going to make electricity free…

Well, we’re seeing the exact opposite in our bills.

Totally agree I’ve just changed supplier and I’m now on 18p/per Kw/hr and 18p standing charge per day.

Wasn’t that long ago electricity was about 11p a kw/hr

Gas is currently 3.15p kw/hr

I wouldn’t call circa £45K an artificial obstacle. These cars are the preserve of the very wealthy who then actually want to spend that much on a vehicle. Everyone else will be paying through higher electricity bills.
Many people don't buy, they lease. I know a taxi driver who's gone from £30 diesel a night to £3 electric. 250 working days a year, £6500 saving pa. That's over £500 a month to his lease, over and above the lease he would pay on his diesel car. He's not going back.

Many people don't buy, they lease. I know a taxi driver who's gone from £30 diesel a night to £3 electric. 250 working days a year, £6500 saving pa. That's over £500 a month to his lease, over and above the lease he would pay on his diesel car. He's not going back.

Still a financial commitment, however you dress it up. What happens if he can’t work, say, because of a global pandemic. Still on the hook.

Still a financial commitment, however you dress it up. What happens if he can’t work, say, because of a global pandemic. Still on the hook.
That's taxi driving and running a business. Any business. I'm not dressing it up. The man has done his sums. Yours is just the typical refusenik answer. "Ooh, but what if?" What if nothing . He lives in the real world and has driven his taxi in the pandemic. He's still here. Meanwhile you just don't want to hear of a real world example that goes against what you want to believe.

Well there’s the price of the car to factor in too or the leasing costs.

When I looked back in 2014 the cost of the EV van was about £25k less a grant from the government and the van had only a six year life down to the batteries.

I bought a brand new Citreon NEMO top of the range 1.4 enterprise for £12,500 including vat delivered from Wales of all places.

That's taxi driving and running a business. Any business. I'm not dressing it up. The man has done his sums.

How much is the leasing costs versus a diesel/petrol equivalent?

Currently you can lease a Citreon Berlingo doing 8000 miles a year for less than £200 including vat a month think that’s over three years.

Pretty sure the charging station is now about £1500 installed

hey’re ASHPs and gas central heating boilers so no doubt the move away from gas is already on btw ASHPs
No idea what ASHP stands for but the Ideal boiler being installed in my flat on Thursday is equipped to run on hydrogen (or maybe can be tweaked) Maybe a gimmick.

I'm quite keen to adopt an EV within the near future, seeing that my journeys are nearly all local and my current diesel is 12 years old. However I'd want another estate and I haven't seen or read of one yet. A previous poster touted one advantage of EVs as not having to change gear. For me, this would be a DISadvantage; I'd've had an automatic if I didn't like gear changing!

They are too pricy at the mo' and power-point installation is also costly and I'm not comfortable with the eventual (8 years or so?) cost of battery replacement and dwindling capacity up to then. I wonder if lower or less frequent servicing/MOT costs mitigate against these

EVs are still in their infancy, to my mind, but it is the way things are going; maybe in 3 to 5 years? B.t.w., how much does it cost to charge when en route?

advertisement

Back