advertisement

Who's bought their last tank of petrol?

Cesare

pfm Member
I'm interested in how people who have taken the plunge with electric cars are finding things, especially those who have *only* electric cars. If you can share your experiences it might be helpful for those of us who have yet to join, as this is clearly the direction we'll all be going in the coming years.

I won’t be unless my work changes hugely. Yes there are compromises. I wouldn’t take it to France like I have several of my cars, but a long journey in this country wouldn’t phase me. Went to Newcastle and back in a day yesterday, no problem at all. Just a 50 min charge before I came home. The car is infinitely nicer to drive than any ICE car I’ve driven, just quiet and smooth. Plenty of power as well but not crazy, it’s only a Zoe. Charging isn’t difficult, I can slot it in around my work. I often have my lunch parked up anyway, so might as well do it plugged in. Occasionally I stop for 30 mins on my way home.

Not a chance. Paucity of infrastructure and appalling shambles of apps and connection types before you even get to wait ages for a charge, no thanks.

Poor chap I met in France this summer mapped out a trip there in his new EV and was frazzled from range anxiety and complicated and lengthy delays. Sod that.

There will need to be something that more closely replicates the speed and convenience of current refuelling before I'm interested and I seriously doubt that will happen with this generation of tech.

Me. Though I still have a VW campervan so need the occasional (big) tank of V-Power diesel.

Daily drives about 45 mile return trip to Edinburgh. Not so often these days. Plus taxiing the kids and dogs around. Overall fantastic experience; up here the EV charging infrastructure is good. TCO excluding depreciation and insurance over 16k miles is about £100.

I'm interested in how people who have taken the plunge with electric cars are finding things, especially those who have *only* electric cars. If you can share your experiences it might be helpful for those of us who have yet to join, as this is clearly the direction we'll all be going in the coming years.

3 months ago my wife took delivery of an EV. it is so good to drive in the ways we find important (way better than any ICE car) that I am now sorely tempted to ditch my Mercedes and buy and EV for myself. I hardly drive the merc now. Living over here on the mainland, we have no fears for charging on long road trips as the infrastructure is just fine.

So we are currently half way there

I wonder then if the cost saving over the expensive stuff is negated?

E10 is nowt to do with cost saving.... it is to put a higher percentage of 'new' carbon into your fuel - so using a little less 'old carbon' out of the ground.
As such it is created as 9small) environmental measure.

But lots of small things add up - like taking out old fashioned hot wire light bulbs. Like new cargo ships using alternative power than heavy bunker oil. Like the idea of taking out regular gas boilers, removing most coal fired power stations, the list goes on.

3 months ago my wife took delivery of an EV. it is so good to drive in the ways we find important (way better than any ICE car) that I am now sorely tempted to ditch my Mercedes and buy and EV for myself. I hardly drive the merc now. Living over here on the mainland, we have no fears for charging on long road trips as the infrastructure is just fine.

So we are currently half way there
Better in what ways?

E10 is nowt to do with cost saving.... it is to put a higher percentage of 'new' carbon into your fuel - so using a little less 'old carbon' out of the ground.

But lots of small things add up - like taking out old fashioned hot wire light bulbs. Like new cargo ships using alternative power than heavy bunker oil. Like the idea of taking out regular gas boilers, removing most coal fired power stations, the list goes on.
“Taking out regular gas boilers…”
When was that announced then?

I was thinking from a users point of view - as E10 is supposed to harm plastics and rubbers more than the old E5. eg It is not a good idea to leave E10 in your tank if you do not intend to use the vehicle for some time. So putting aside environmental issues is there no longer a cost disadvantage from using the super petrol since you get more miles/gallon than the cheaper E10

Bought a brand new Kia Soul all electric car at the end of May this year and never looked back it has been a faff getting a charging station put in at home mainly due to covid issues but it is now sorted.

I agree with NeilR in the above post it is so easy and relaxing to drive and above all so cheap to run.

advertisement

Back