advertisement

Who's bought their last tank of petrol?

TCO excluding depreciation and insurance over 16k miles is about £100.

Only £100? Bloody hell, I really haven't been paying much attention to electric cars up to now but even so didn't think they were that cheap to run.

I reckon my diesel Jag (at a slightly ambitious 10 miles per £) would do 1,000 miles for that much. When I was going to the office to work 16k was about my annual mileage, so that'd be a £1,500 a year saving on fuel and over 10 years £15,000.

Lots of ifs, buts and variables in there but the numbers are looking better than I'd thought they might. Now I'd like to know what running costs others are seeing.

Not a chance. Paucity of infrastructure and appalling shambles of apps and connection types before you even get to wait ages for a charge, no thanks.

Poor chap I met in France this summer mapped out a trip there in his new EV and was frazzled from range anxiety and complicated and lengthy delays. Sod that.

There will need to be something that more closely replicates the speed and convenience of current refuelling before I'm interested and I seriously doubt that will happen with this generation of tech.

How many times would you need to charge it per day away from home? Surely you'd start every day with a full battery?

I bought my last tank of fuel a year ago. I have a car that can get me from my home to Durham in one charge, that’s 240 miles. We stopped en route to get lunch and a quick charge and now have enough range to pootle about up here for days. It also turns out that over the summer the hotel I stay at has now installed two new charging points and it’s now sat there charging while I eat cake and enjoy the spa.
Range anxiety isn’t a thing.
Charger anxiety isn’t a thing, even in the last year there are twice as many fast DC chargers round here than the last time I visited earlier in the year. It turns out I didn’t need them.

How many times would you need to charge it per day away from home? Surely you'd start every day with a full battery?

If my car was a shopping trolley that didn't go far but it's not. Get ranges up over 400 miles and full charges done in a few minutes roadside and I'm in. The charging situation is dependent on relatively low use, so enjoy yours until it becomes more crowded.

The cost difference isn't that big, especially if you use some of the public charging stations as they can charge (no pun intended) up to 50p per KW - at home most of us pay 10p to 16p per KW
I am holding off for two reasons. Waiting for the infrastructure to sharpen up (some charging stations you need an app, others you can use your card, and good many are broke) and also the costs of the vehicles to come down to a more realistic price (20% to 50% price difference for a comparable ICE version of the car means I can use the ICE version for 5 years and still be better off...)

I have been following the electrification of vehicles for 5 years or so, I am no expert but just what I see and heard.

at home most of us pay 10p to 16p per KW

Look again, prices are through the roof. You can’t get it for less than 20p now and prices are expected to jump further in October. The increased demand from EV users is only going to increase domestic energy prices for everyone, we’ll all be paying. Anyone whose electricity deal is coming to an end is in for a very nasty shock.

There is no “charging situation”. Hundreds of new charging points are being intalled each week.

There are big issues with it here and hundreds won't cut it if there is any significant move across. Not all of these are in service either. Then better make sure you have the correct App and connection.

My quote is based on the vast majority of fee-free charging that we benefited from between Nov ‘19 and the end of 2020. Since the start of the year it’s incurred a fee. But our mileage is pretty low and £7 gets us around 150-180 miles on a typical charge.

If my car was a shopping trolley that didn't go far but it's not. Get ranges up over 400 miles and full charges done in a few minutes roadside and I'm in. The charging situation is dependent on relatively low use, so enjoy yours until it becomes more crowded.

A lot of them are doing up to 80% charge in 20 minutes or so, so you need 400 miles plus an 80% charge on a daily basis?

I am holding off for two reasons. Waiting for the infrastructure to sharpen up (some charging stations you need an app, others you can use your card, and good many are broke)

just to let you know that with our car we got supplied with an rfid dongle that you just swipe and charge no matter what the provider. Works very well and no messing about with apps etc.(apart from registering with the initial car manufacturers website and adding payment details).

steve, with the latest EVs such as the ioniq 5 you can get nearly 300 miles of range and charge from 10-80% in 18 minutes. How often are you going to drive more than that without a break?

Not aimed at you in particular, but i just get the feeling people are resistant to change and are putting artificial obstacles in the way of what is actually a big step forward in terms of many aspects of driving.

A lot of them are doing up to 80% charge in 20 minutes or so, so you need 400 miles plus an 80% charge on a daily basis?

No but I don't regard having a car that's available, rather than the one I might want or waiting around for 20 minutes to part fill a car up as progress, that assumes that the charger is available and I have the right connector and app.

I'm happy for others to live through this phase, it's not for me yet. The experience will have to more closely match what I have now.

steve, with the latest EVs such as the ioniq 5 you can get nearly 300 miles of range and charge from 10-80% in 18 minutes. How often are you going to drive more than that without a break?

Not aimed at you in particular, but i just get the feeling people are resistant to change and are putting artificial obstacles in the way of what is actually a big step forward in terms of many aspects of driving.

It's not a resistance to change at all, if the experience mirrored what I have now, I'd be all over it. The mileages you quote don't pan out in practice - see #5. I preferred my 9 hours from La Rochelle to Hythe inc breaks with no stress to his 15 and a bucket of hassle with different systems.

Steve, I’ll raise you kris rifa in an Audi e-tron GT, 1200 km in one day with just 120 minutes of charging stops.

of course the e-tron is not an affordable car but it does show what is possible now.

I wouldn’t call circa £45K an artificial obstacle. These cars are the preserve of the very wealthy who then actually want to spend that much on a vehicle. Everyone else will be paying through higher electricity bills.

I wouldn’t call circa £45K an artificial obstacle. These cars are the preserve of the very wealthy who then actually want to spend that much on a vehicle. Everyone else will be paying through higher electricity bills.

why does everyone else pay with higher electricity bills? Please enlighten me!

why does everyone else pay with higher electricity bills? Please enlighten me!

Increased demand (from EV’s) will increase electricity costs. Maybe it’s different in CH but in the UK right now electricity costs are exploding.

advertisement

Back