advertisement

Who should pay for social care ?

There is no way a £1700 a week care home will take you if you aren’t a self payer.
The first question they ask when you phone and enquire about vacancies is “are you self financed or not?”
Say yes and there a vacancies. Say no and…

Well if we use KSs example of his Dad from a few posts further up, they would appear to be in the region of £150-250 a week which is not a million miles from the £187 a week figure on the NHS website.
You are utterly deluded.
You want to join the real world instead of pretending you have the faintest idea of what you are posting about.

I cannot find a care home that will take my cousin who is as I describe for less that £1500 a week.

She is in Scotland and currently at home where you are allocated the £187 a week allowance for NHS provided care.
This gets her 4 half hourly visits a day from NHS care workers to get up her up and showered and breakfasted, lunched, and prepared for bed in the evening. They are supposed to change and manage her urostomy bag as well. No food is provided we buy it all. At all of these tasks they are utterly incompetent. The first time they came they did not how to change the bag. They have left her on several occasions sitting in urine soaked clothing because the bag has leaked and their allocated time is up. They microwave a bought in meal for her and plonk it down then leave. They openly discuss her incontinence in front of her causing great distress. They even try arguing with her, a woman with dementia. They do nothing else.
All her other personal care has to be bought in through a private care firm, 6 hours a day 7 days a week at £25 an hour.

Do you really think in a nursing home the £187 a week suddenly provides what you talk about?

Self funders currently subsidise local authority patients, this is to be outlawed by the govt, meaning that local authority patients will just not taken in by these homes.

Dream on.

^ My grandmother had the sort of 'care' you describe. I didn't blame the woman herself because she was a nice person, working long hours for not very substantial return, for a privatised company (or semi-private or whatever horseshit they come up with) and had dozens of patients to see. This is a government problem and failure because it is mandated to provide healthcare. Every little exception is a dereliction of duty.

You are utterly deluded.
You want to join the real world instead of pretending you have the faintest idea of what you are posting about.

I cannot find a care home that will take my cousin who is as I describe for less that £1500 a week.

She is in Scotland and currently at home where you are allocated the £187 a week allowance for NHS provided care.
This gets her 4 half hourly visits a day from NHS care workers to get up her up and showered and breakfasted, lunched, and prepared for bed in the evening. They are supposed to change and manage her urostomy bag as well. No food is provided we buy it all. At all of these tasks they are utterly incompetent. The first time they came they did not how to change the bag. They have left her on several occasions sitting in urine soaked clothing because the bag has leaked and their allocated time is up. They microwave a bought in meal for her and plonk it down then leave. They openly discuss her incontinence in front of her causing great distress. They even try arguing with her, a woman with dementia. They do nothing else.
All her other personal care has to be bought in through a private care firm, 6 hours a day 7 days a week at £25 an hour.

Do you really think in a nursing home the £187 a week suddenly provides what you talk about?

Self funders currently subsidise local authority patients, this is to be outlawed by the govt, meaning that local authority patients will just not taken in by these homes.

Dream on.

I was using the delta between the cost of a care home and nursing home from KSs post. They are similar to what we found recently whilst looking for the father in-law. A lot of the care required by a resident with dementia is the same as an ordinary care resident which explains why the majority of the costs are loaded onto the latter.

We were quoted £1100, £1200 and £1500 per week for the ones we looked at. Here’s hoping my diet of fried bread, Newcastle Brown Ale and Capstan Full-strength saves me from going into one of these hell holes in the future.

Absolutely not. Apologies if it came across that way, I was just trying to set out the scale of some of the numbers involved in the context of how we pay for it.

OK, thanks Ponty, no need for an apology, sorry from me for being a bit touchy.

Each of us are only offering up our thoughts and opinions, life’s too short for falling out :).

The bit I have difficulty with now a cap is in place is the idea that young people starting out in the world of work and not earning much are helping to pay for an old person’s care who may well have assets worth a couple of million pounds in order to ensure the benefactors of their will have a decent inheritance.

Last edited:
I was using the delta between the cost of a care home and nursing home from KSs post. They are similar to what we found recently whilst looking for the father in-law. A lot of the care required by a resident with dementia is the same as an ordinary care resident which explains why the majority of the costs are loaded onto the latter.

We were quoted £1100, £1200 and £1500 per week for the ones we looked at. Here’s hoping my diet of fried bread, Newcastle Brown Ale and Capstan Full-strength saves me from going into one of these hell holes in the future.
I wasn’t talking about different homes, I was talking about the costs in the same home in the same room; that is, £1250 pw for a room in a residential care, between £1350 and £1450 for the same room with nursing. More again for residential + nursing care + dementia care.

The point is that only the nursing and dementia care is covered. Anyone who goes into a care home with over £120,000 in assets will still have to pay the residential element which on the example above will still be somewhere in the region of £1250 pw. Someone with between £20,000 and £120,000 in assets can apply for means tested help from their local authority.

The bottom line is that anyone going into a care home is going to have to find significant sums of money and Johnson’s promise that no one who does go into a care home will lose their house, is not the case….Johnson has only said that people will not lose their own house to pay for ‘personal care’. They might still lose their house to pay for the residential part of going into a care home.

I wasn’t talking about different homes, I was talking about the costs in the same home in the same room; that is, £1250 pw for a room in a residential care, between £1350 and £1450 for the same room with nursing. More again for residential + nursing care + dementia care.

Yeah I know.

Yeah I know.

Sorry, but I don’t understand why you objected to my post in response to ‘Johnson government has put in a plan to deal with the cost of social care issue’.

My contension is that Johnson has not put in a plan to deal with the cost of health care issue, his ‘plan’ at best tinkers with certain relatively insignificant aspects of social care, it does not deal with the substantive issues.

Sorry, I was using the figures you quoted regarding your Fathers care as an example of the difference between Nursing Care costs and Social Care costs in response to points raised by Bob Mc.

Sorry, but I don’t understand why you objected to my post in response to ‘Johnson government has put in a plan to deal with the cost of social care issue’.

My contension is that Johnson has not put in a plan to deal with the cost of health care issue, his ‘plan’ at best tinkers with certain relatively insignificant aspects of social care, it does not deal with the substantive issues.
It is hugely beneficial to people living in big houses who can stump up the first £80k towards live-in care.

You are utterly deluded.

Dream on.
a very difficult situation, these bags can be incredibly hard to stop leaking . Even very experienced senior nurses have trouble stopping them leaking . Urine seems to find its way out so easily and they are not always easy to reseal.

advertisement

Back