advertisement

Who should pay for social care ?

Your post came across as saying that if people haven’t earned enough then they don’t deserve/qualify for looking after.

Absolutely not. Apologies if it came across that way, I was just trying to set out the scale of some of the numbers involved in the context of how we pay for it.

Thing is, these numbers are just colossal. IIRC, you need to earn circa £50K a year to be a net financial contributor in UK. Below that and someone else is funding you on a macro level. I know we could spend months arguing about that figure but just accept it for a moment. If you earn £50K a year, you pay £12,350 a year in tax and NI. A year in Bob’s Cheshire care home is nearly 7 years of tax and NI contributions of a £50K salary. Let alone all the other public services which need to be paid for. I just can’t see how we can square the circle. Sure, go after tax dodgers but it’ll be a rounding error in the scale and size of the problem.

Hang on what about all the VAT I pay when I buy stuff and come to think of it how about car tax, the tax on insurance, the tax on petrol and when I had my own company Corporation Tax.

Hang on what about all the VAT I pay when I buy stuff and come to think of it how about car tax, the tax on insurance, the tax on petrol and when I had my own company Corporation Tax.

There are countless other public services which need paying for, not just care. Per the above, I was just trying to set out the scale of some of the numbers involved in the context of how we pay for it.

Firstly at least the Johnson government has put in a plan to deal with the cost of social care issue, something previous administrations of different colours had declined to do.

The cost of these places are frightening and with the baby boom generation about to start developing Alzheimer's/Vascular Dementia in large numbers and needing care for god knows how long- this is indeed a nettle that needs grasping.

I believe the original plans were based on care costs from the average length of time a person spends in care (about nine months) and each of us would have to build a ring fenced pot equal to that amount during our working lives. The pot would be taken by the State if, for example you drop dead of a heart attack after England win the Ashes down under, without drawing on it. Conversely, if you live in a care home for ten years after going ga ga then the State will cover the extra costs long after your own pot was exhausted.

This has advantages and disadvantages over what has been introduced.

There are countless other public services which need paying for, not just care. Per the above, I was just trying to set out the scale of some of the numbers involved in the context of how we pay for it.
Why is it only public services that cause the ‘how do we pay for it’ concern. Why are there not similar sharp intake of breath concerns when it comes to starting a war, paying for a vanity project like HS2, paying for the monarchy, or throwing millions of Covid money at Tory supporters in a VIP lane?

The problem is not finding the money, the problem is finding the political will

Firstly at least the Johnson government has put in a plan to deal with the cost of social care issue, something previous administrations of different colours had declined to do.

The cost of these places are frightening and with the baby boom generation about to start developing Alzheimer's/Vascular Dementia in large numbers and needing care for god knows how long- this is indeed a nettle that needs grasping.

I believe the original plans were based on care costs from the average length of time a person spends in care (about nine months) and each of us would have to build a ring fenced pot equal to that amount during our working lives. The pot would be taken by the State if, for example you drop dead of a heart attack after England win the Ashes down under, without drawing on it. Conversely, if you live in a care home for ten years after going ga ga then the State will cover the extra costs long after your own pot was exhausted.

But Johnson has not put in place a plan to deal with the cost of social care.

The money he has allocated will go to the NHS in the first place, only if there is any surplus will it go to Care.

Neither does he propose to pay for care for nursing or dementia’s Care. Those with savings under £120k can apply to their local authority for means tested funding, but where are local authorities to get the money from?

The £86k ceiling is meaningless as it only applies to ‘personal care’, it does not apply to the ‘hotel fees’ element of the cost of staying in a care home, which is the majority of the total fees.

As an example, I am in the process of have looking at a Care Home for my father. The Care home costs will be £1250 per week for residential, which rises to £1350 to £1400 for nursing care and £1400 to £1500 for dementia care. Johnson’s promise that no one will have to lose their house is a nonsense because the vast majority of the cost of staying in a care home is not ‘personal care’ but residential costs. My father for example, will still have to fund the vast majority of his overall cost of staying in a care home.

If you think the govts plan is for the state to pick up a bill of £1700 a week once the £86K threshold has been met you are living in cloud cuckoo land.
Also don’t forget that the govt will not cover board and lodge costs element of a care home stay. These can approach £1000 a week.
In fact all the govt have done is tinker with a few thresholds.
Most people will still have to sell their homes because they won’t have a spare £86K hanging around.

Neither does he propose to pay for care for nursing or dementia’s Care.

These are already covered by the NHS-funded Nursing Care Allowance which is paid at a flat rate of £187.60 a week directly to the home. I recognise that this may not always be sufficient depending on the level of support needed for the individual.

It's comical, yet annoying that they say 'if there is a surplus' it will go to social care services. As if they're managing a village credit union or something. Knob-heads.

These are already covered by the NHS-funded Nursing Care Allowance which is paid at a flat rate of £187.60 a week directly to the home. I recognise that this may not always be sufficient depending on the level of support needed for the individual.

So not covered at all then.
What a fatuous post.
How much do you think the nursing needs of an incontinent 82 year old with dementia actually cost?

Also don’t forget that the govt will not cover board and lodge costs element of a care home stay. These can approach £1000 a week.

Surely board and lodge is exactly what Residential Care costs are intended to cover.

From the Carehome.co.uk website:

A residential care home provides accommodation and 24 hour personal care:

meals throughout the day
getting in/out of bed
help with toileting, bathing and dressing
medication

There is also an example in the governments own document which is based on a poor chap who moves into a residential home in order to show the difference the proposed changes will make.

It's comical, yet annoying that they say 'if there is a surplus' it will go to social care services. As if they're managing a village credit union or something. Knob-heads.

Is that surplus after the 40 hospitals that BJ promised at election time ? Remember those ? Because BJ doesn't. I don't believe anything anymore.

The £86k ceiling is meaningless as it only applies to ‘personal care’, it does not apply to the ‘hotel fees’ element of the cost of staying in a care home, which is the majority of the total fees.

It depends what you mean by Hotel Fees but the basics of accommodation, food, medication and ablutions are covered by social care in a residential home. If on the other hand it refers to free use of the gym/spa facilities and the nine hole golf course- then no that would be outside the scope.

How much do you think the nursing needs of an incontinent 82 year old with dementia actually cost?

Well if we use KSs example of his Dad from a few posts further up, they would appear to be in the region of £150-250 a week which is not a million miles from the £187 a week figure on the NHS website.

Is that surplus after the 40 hospitals that BJ promised at election time ? Remember those ? Because BJ doesn't. I don't believe anything anymore.
The only surplus they are willing to expend is their vast surplus of lies.

Sorry if I didn’t make it clear but I am recognising that ‘personal care’ is what Johnson is on about, not residential care. And yes, I am of course aware of the Care allowance already available.

But my point was that if a person goes into a care home there is still the bulk of the care home fees that fall outside ‘personal care’ to pay for.

So yes, there is already the NHS Care Allowance, and Johnson’s proposals might add a bit to that, but he has made it clear that the ‘hotel fees’, which are by far the largest proportion of the overall week charge, will still have to be paid.

It depends what you mean by Hotel Fees but the basics of accommodation, food, medication and ablutions are covered by social care in a residential home. If on the other hand it refers to free use of the gym/spa facilities and the nine hole golf course- then no that would be outside the scope.
At present Care home fees are only covered if you have no other means of paying them. At present anyone with assets such as a house are expected to sell their house and pay up.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back