advertisement

Who is brave enough to post a selfie?

Not exactly a selfie. The technology did not exist when this photo was taken by my Norwegian grandmother [Mormor] in the late eighties or early nineties so in my late twenties or early thirties:

IMG_2364 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Apart from even less hair, I am just as ugly today!

Best wishes from George

Your trousers date this to the 1930s, George!

Your trousers date this to the 1930s, George!

Back in the day you could buy these trousers made of a sort cambric in M&S, and honestly I miss the cut. Enough material [with pleats] to allow plenty of ball-room, so you never sweated in the heat or froze in the cold. And the material was completely wind-proof.

No doubt that I could have such work-a-day trousers made today, but the truth is that I cannot afford tailoring, then or now!

Best wishes from George

try some ex army gear. Army surplus UK has a good range of kit which may not habe the style(??) of your old troos, but will outwear them with ease.

It’s very Viking? Made to withstand a year’s pillaging?
I’ve still got my OS cami jacket from 1989. 34 years of all weather wear and still looks fine.

It’s very Viking? Made to withstand a year’s pillaging?
I’ve still got my OS cami jacket from 1989. 34 years of all weather wear and still looks fine.

I've still got my Pa's 1945 WD issue leather jerkin, and very fine it is too.

I think actually that at most army surplus stores the kit comes from all over the place. I've got a pair of excellent sleeping bags, ex-Bundeswehr. And a perfectly functioning Jerry can marked Wehrmacht and dated 1943!

I'd bet that the Norwegian cold-weather kit is good though.

Outside the Ballet with my cultural companion twenty minutes ago. Now awaiting the curtain with a glass of unpleasant Shiraz.

20230929184701-16981dad.jpg

OK....this is a photo thread...but how was it - music forum fine, but we wanna know!!

advertisement

Back