advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lagavulin 16 is one of my favourite whiskies. Their distillers edition is pretty much an even nicer and more refined version of it (I tried it at a taster session at the distillery last year), and is on my list of potential purchases for this year.

Tonight I've had a dram of the Glenfarclas 25, which was very nice.

The Lagavulin 16 is one of my favourite whiskies. Their distillers edition is pretty much an even nicer and more refined version of it (I tried it at a taster session at the distillery last year), and is on my list of potential purchases for this year.

Agreed 100% I never tire of it, distillers is an occasional treat as well, used to be a duty free fav when I travelled.

Slightly extravagant, I followed up the Glenfarclas 25 with a old fashioned using Jack Daniels Gold. Lovely.

Had some good news on annual bonuses today, so might treat myself to the purchase of something nice. Octomore or the Lagavulin Distillers being front runners.

Slightly extravagant, I followed up the Glenfarclas 25 with a old fashioned using Jack Daniels Gold. Lovely.

Had some good news on annual bonuses today, so might treat myself to the purchase of something nice. Octomore or the Lagavulin Distillers being front runners.

If you haven't already; you have to go for an Octomore

a) it'll be nothing like you've tasted and b) it'll last you absolutely ages...

Mine was bought July 2019. It's still 4/5ths full!

It's a once is enough dram as that dram will last ages, unless you're a lush :D

6.1 here - smoky but not massively so.

The 9.3 is massively peated...

It's very interesting neat; hot as you'd expect at 63.9% but very flavoursome...

Add just a drop or 2 of spring water and it's opens up hugely and the flavours are so complex... One dram will last you an hour and the taste stays with you for days :D

Last edited:
As someone who doesn't like whiskey (Southern Comfort anybody?) what's the best one to start with?
Is Speyside the easiest one to start with - if not, then please tell me what to look for..
Nevis dew ' special reserve ' about £18 online it's quite good..on fact you might not need to try anything else?

This is nonsense. You are not comparing like with like. Blended Irish whiskey Is no better or worse than blended Scotch. And how many Irish single malts have you tried?
Irish whiskey is very drinkable..in fact it's too drinkable..the irish make fine whisky and fine cider too and of course the wonderful guinness..I had a pint of brain's version in a Cardiff bar..and it was better! So creamy so smooth..never thought I would say that! Long way to go though for a pint...sadly

The 9.3 is massively peated...

It's very interesting neat; hot as you'd expect at 63.9% but very flavoursome...

Add just a drop or 2 of spring water and it's opens up hugely and the flavours are so complex... One dram will last you an hour and the taste stays with you for days :D

I was toying with going with the cheapest option, the 10.1, but did a bit of googling and based on that and the comments on here have ordered a bottle of the 9.3. Very much looking forward to giving that a try when it arrives!

I've not done the tour at Bruichladdich yet, despite it being walking distance from where we normally stay in Port Charlotte - but fingers crossed we'll do that later this year when we hopefully make our annual pilgrimage. My wife has family connections to Islay so, despite not being a whisky drinker, she loves it there. It's also very dog friendly and has nice beaches so is one of Ludo's favourite islands as well! Very convenient, considering my preference for the Islay malts.

I was toying with going with the cheapest option, the 10.1, but did a bit of googling and based on that and the comments on here have ordered a bottle of the 9.3. Very much looking forward to giving that a try when it arrives!

I've not done the tour at Bruichladdich yet, despite it being walking distance from where we normally stay in Port Charlotte - but fingers crossed we'll do that later this year when we hopefully make our annual pilgrimage. My wife has family connections to Islay so, despite not being a whisky drinker, she loves it there. It's also very dog friendly and has nice beaches so is one of Ludo's favourite islands as well! Very convenient, considering my preference for the Islay malts.

One of the few Islands my wife & I haven't visited

We'll be looking to sort that as soon as we're allowed to :)

Can't get to Dunkeld this Feb due to the lockdowns (very angry about that as it's a superb week away, more so when it's snowy and it was to be the celebration for my Dad & his twin brothers joint 70th)...

But we're determined to see more West Scotland when we can; more so as I've just bought a Thule roof box for the touring :D

One of the few Islands my wife & I haven't visited

We'll be looking to sort that as soon as we're allowed to :)

Can't get to Dunkeld this Feb due to the lockdowns (very angry about that as it's a superb week away, more so when it's snowy and it was to be the celebration for my Dad & his twin brothers joint 70th)...

But we're determined to see more West Scotland when we can; more so as I've just bought a Thule roof box for the touring :D

We'd rented a cottage beside the Crinan Canal at the start of February (already moved to then from November 2020 due to lockdown changes) but have now moved that all the way out to November 2021 and hopefully will be able to take it then.

Hopefully once things subside we'll get a chance to get away with the motorhome again later this year, with Islay almost certainly being one of the trips and I'd also like to get out the Western Isles again as we didn't manage that last year. We've got quite a few distilleries in day/weekend trip distance and I'll try and fit a couple of visits to those this year if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back