advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably use bourbon (or other US whiskies) about half the time - Gentleman Jack and 1792 are both great for old fashioneds. The ones with malt are quite different though, as does the type of malt used. The Bowmore 12 is another I mostly use for old fashioneds as well.
I made an OF with Gentleman Jack this very weekend, it was very nice. I used Bowmore No 1 for OF a while ago, but only to use it up. As you say they give a different drink and it was better than drowning it in ginger, this being Plan B for the rubbing alcohol variants.

I made an OF with Gentleman Jack this very weekend, it was very nice. I used Bowmore No 1 for OF a while ago, but only to use it up. As you say they give a different drink and it was better than drowning it in ginger, this being Plan B for the rubbing alcohol variants.

Old fashioneds and Smoky Cokey's (for peaty ones) is how I get through the whiskies I've bought but not got on all that well with, although it might seem like sacrilege at times. Laphroaig quarter cask used to be one of those but I've found it's been growing on me of late.

Tonight I'm having a rum old fashioned, with orange bitters and using Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 rum (which is also very nice as a sipping rum) which is lovely, even if the rum itself is perhaps overkill. I don't have many rum options at the moment, having finished the bottle of Bacardi 8 year old which is my usual option for rum old fashioneds.

20210120_204035 by uh_simon, on Flickr

on the nose I get orange, dried oranges, perhaps caramelised apple- kind of Xmas without spice

Initially on the palate, there is a short lived hit of sweetness (good in my book as I hate sweet expressions). Then I get a smokey tar like flavour, with a hint of saltiness.

Finish is long, and smokey with some spice heat.

I like it, it is my kind of whisky. It isn’t a peat monster like the Octomore, nor an ashtray like Laphroaig

At the MoM flash sale price, I think this is a good buy.

One whisky I'm tempted to splash out on is the £160 is the Redbreast 21. I've had a taste of it a couple of years ago in Dublin Airport and was blown away by the flavour and complexity.

Was this just a one-off with my taste buds or do others find this a special one?

I have never had that particular pleasure but as a general rule I find that the best way to aid the suspension of sound fiscal sense isn't an appeal to sensory suspension. If I am contemplating a significant investment in spirits I remind myself that that duty starts at around £8 for 40% by volume and tops out at £12 for 60% by volume, that's for a standard bottle. You pay VAT on the duty as well as the goods so it follows that the more you spend the better the value you are getting.

By that reckoning this Macallan is an almost peerless bargain.

Sadly this magic thinking doesn't work in airport duty free.

I've just taken delivery of the Seaweed and Aeons, a 15 yo Glen Scotia and 11 yo Black and Gold bourbon.

Sadly, I am isolating due to a positive Covid test last week so they will have to wait until next week.

The totrture of looking but not touching is worse than the Covid!

Euan

I've just taken delivery of the Seaweed and Aeons, a 15 yo Glen Scotia and 11 yo Black and Gold bourbon.

Sadly, I am isolating due to a positive Covid test last week so they will have to wait until next week.

Euan
Hope you are doing OK with it...

...my resistance, such as it is, has crumbled...just ordered a Loch Lomond 12 at £29.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N3SVH6J/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I really like Master of Malt. They are not the cheapest but delivery is quick and packing is top notch.
Agreed - they also do a much wider variety than Amazon.
Just checked and I made eight orders ( :eek:) with Master of Malt in 2020, so I'm not fully in with Amazon by any means (and I'm aware that Tony benefits from links to the Bezos Behemoth).

Thinking I might have a proper tasting of the Laga 16 year old tonight...

Only had one dram out of it, so time to get the Glencairn glass dusted off ;)

Euan
Here’s hoping you don’t lose your sense of smell, or if you do, it comes back quickly!

Got my Masters of Malt delivery today, here is the haul:

50862845526_ac99602a9c_z.jpg

Euan

Drink some now, before your sense of taste goes away for a couple of weeks, that’s an even worse torture.

Hope you get an easy ride, and a quick recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back