advertisement

Whisky recommendation, GBP40 budget

Not really in the spirit of the OP price level but I tried a dram of Port Charlotte 2010 MRC: 01 and find myself needing to buy a bottle now.

port-charlotte-mrc-01-7-year-old-whisky.jpg

Is it good? I thought about buying some in Waitrose @£34 last week as an £8 voucher was burning a hole in my pocket. In the end I went for 15yo sherry cask Glenfiddich @£40/75cl, which is horrible.

Yes, extremely good. IMO pound for pound one of the best value whisky's I have. It does benefit a splash of water but is still very drinkable without. It tastes like a £100 plus bottle so for under £40 it is a bargain.

It has a massive flavour, not for a whisky dilettante and far from the mellow smoothness of Glenfiddich. When I tasted it first it blew my socks off and I can see myself buying a few more bottles over time.

I'm not guaranteeing that it applies to all branches but my Tesco had some interesting bargains this morning including:

Highland Park Dragon Legend down from £40 to £22
Talisker Skye down from £39 to £26

I don't know if there's another thread for gin but they had these two half-price offers:

Japanese Roku for £15
Tanqueray Sevilla for £12.50

IMG_0721 by Malcolm Connah, on Flickr

Blimey, Sevilla at £12.50 is cheap. Cheapest is usually £20. If the Skye is your thing, see if my link upthread still works at £21.49.

Yes, extremely good. IMO pound for pound one of the best value whisky's I have. It does benefit a splash of water but is still very drinkable without. It tastes like a £100 plus bottle so for under £40 it is a bargain.
It (Nikka From the Barrel) is still £34 at Waitrose, and I have received a new batch of £8 off vouchers this morning. I might have to go back when the river outside has reverted to being a road. I’ll make use of the time by waxing my Barbour and ironing my cravat - then hopefully security won’t eject me again.

Away in a cupboard I have a presentation case in side is a bottle and bottled size copper still both 1966 Loch Lomond Malt Number 49 of 49. For my daughter told her put to Auction in 30 years.

I'm really missing the bottle of Lagavulin 16 I finished recently, in spite of the Bunnahabhain I have to keep me going. Does Black Friday work for whisky?

I'm really missing the bottle of Lagavulin 16 I finished recently, in spite of the Bunnahabhain I have to keep me going. Does Black Friday work for whisky?

Amazon often have a deal on Whisky and I got my Lagavulin 16 for £43.99 last week but it is back up to £48.95 now. Keep an eye out.

My local Tesco had Ardmore Legacy on offer for £18 on Monday (down from £30). Perfectly acceptable for a midweek gargle.

advertisement

Back