advertisement

Whisky recommendation, GBP40 budget

Woodford's has a high percentage of rye in the mash, which gives it a spicy bite and is good in an Old Fashioned. Don't tell yer kids that tho'... give 'em the rough stuff.

Makers Mark is a good easy-going bourbon, sweet due to higher corn content.

Four Roses and Knob Creek also good value. Hard to go wrong really, although I find Jim Beam and, especially, Jack Daniels (not a bourbon) pretty bland and overpriced.

Woodford's has a high percentage of rye in the mash, which gives it a spicy bite and is good in an Old Fashioned. Don't tell yer kids that tho'... give 'em the rough stuff.

Makers Mark is a good easy-going bourbon, sweet due to higher corn content.

Four Roses and Knob Creek also good value. Hard to go wrong really, although I find Jim Beam and, especially, Jack Daniels (not a bourbon) pretty bland and overpriced.

Cheers. Makers Mark and Knob Creek I've had before and enjoyed. Don't think I've had Four Roses though so will look out for that. The Jim Beam Double Oaked I've found decent enough, and the Gentleman Jack is pretty cheap but a big step up from the run of the mill stuff. The Gold label bottle I bought on a whim while I was bored in an airport in the Middle East somewhere - it's pretty good but was something like £80.

Possibly the nicest bourbon I've had is one called Angels Envy, but I've not been able to source it in the UK.

I've just had a drop of...ahem...a Swedish whisky - Mackmyra Brukswhisky...absolutely delicious!

Some wines are put on the shelf at an inflated price as a marketing wheeze to be sold at 'discount' later. I guess the same happens with whisky and probably most other consumer items.

No, wine is a pretty unique case in this regard. In food the deal is the manufacturer has to have so many timetabled promotions where the reduction is set and the manufacturer covers the loss. No, I'm not kidding. If you don't play, no shelf space. I think whisky is about the same.

advertisement

Back