advertisement

Whisky II

Excellent whisky, sherry matured in the finest casks from Jerez. But it has become exceptionally overpriced. The 18 YO used to be around £70 but it’s now well north of £300 (and that’s if you can get your hands on it). There is equally good sherry cask whisky available much cheaper (eg. Glenfarclas). As WE says, it’s one of those brands, like Johnnie Walker Blue Label, that has become associated with luxury, therefore desirable as a status symbol. But if it’s free, then wire in and enjoy.

Had some 12 and 18 and was given a (small) bottle of M Copper to take home, all done at the Coburg Bar in the Connaught. Very pleasant afternoon. I'll try some Glenfarclas, and compare.

Interesting article by Roy Duff (aka Wally) on pricing on Islay wrapped around a Bowmore 2022 Feis Isle review.
https://www.dramface.com/all-reviews/bowmore-15-2022-feis-ile
Consistently good writing on that website. Depressing trend, and I think it was last week Ralfy alluded to some murmurings of a drop in quality of recent bottlings of that old stalwart Ardbeg 10.
I guess the Independent bottlers are where the value lies. Speaking of which, my lowly £20 blended Adelphi bottling is a cracker for the price. First pour had a slight 'grainy' (I presume) note, but couldn't detect it on further pours. Must explore Ardnamurchan.

Clynelish 14 is superb for that kind of money.
Lots of noises about batch variation of late and no way of picking out the gooduns given Diageo's sparse bottle information.
The bottle I had last year (from Amazon) was meh.
Price above, great as it is, is also Amazon Prime only...still it's been £35 as a normal price reduction very recently.

Little, it would seem, can be done. All those bulging new investor wallets will ensure prices remains silly. Sad to hear of Bunnahabhain going down that road. It was always one of the more down to earth Islay distilleries.
To hell with it, it's just footballer stuff. Let them part with stupid sums for Crystal, Hennessey and now, it seems, Ardbeg. What grieves me more is brands like Bowmore and Oban selling out and duping people with crap like Little Bay and Bowmore No. 1. You can catch me out once with a mistake purchase, after that f** you, I won't buy again.

Lots of noises about batch variation of late and no way of picking out the gooduns given Diageo's sparse bottle information.
The bottle I had last year (from Amazon) was meh.
Price above, great as it is, is also Amazon Prime only...still it's been £35 as a normal price reduction very recently.
First bottle of Clynelish I had was fantastic. The last one, bought last year, was still decent, but had lost a bit of the magic from the first bottle. Less waxy, a bit more subdued. I nearly bought another yesterday from Amazon sale, but held back and bought something else instead - Compass Box Orchard House.

.... bought something else instead - Compass Box Orchard House.
Good spot, ordered. Hopefully some other interesting bottles will appear today..I'll be sure to alert you all when they knock 50% off the surplus stocks of Springbank
(30% off Tarquin's gin should keep the wife sweet when another whisky bottle falls on the doormat...)

advertisement

Back