advertisement

Whisky II

Yes they're really good for that.
Young but with a lot of first-fill which compensates - definitely one for the wishlist.
Would be fascinating to compare with Glenfiddich's new Orchard Experiment.
I bought both the Orchard House, and the Glenfiddich Orchard this week, so will report back.

Forgotten to update this...

Had a few glasses of JW Gold last night that I bought the other week; now that my taste buds and olfactory is back working as it should be... It's crap :D

Nah; it's not that bad; but much prefer the Green over the Gold. I wouldn't pay full whack for either, but Green is better for me

Haven't tried the Clynelish 14 yet but will do soon enough...

The Ardbeg Wee Beastie has opened up a lot since I got it (should do as I've drunk half the bottle) ;) It's actually very interesting; a lot of hear with it being 5 YO, but you know it's an Ardbeg from that usual tongue-slap you get on the first snifter and then the flavours really develop! There''s a lot of 'overdone cinder toffee' in it for me and I quite like it

I've thought black label was ok as a starter dram though I gave most of the bottle away to a work colleague who really liked it. One of the most underwhelming drams I have ever had was JW Blue, a lot of hype and at the time I thought a Dalwhinnie 15yo was much better. I have not tried the ones inbetween the black and the blue, yet. I have a mate who works at one the distilleries under Diaego, not got any deals lined up but they do have some decent staff discounts from time to time.

I've thought black label was ok as a starter dram though I gave most of the bottle away to a work colleague who really liked it. One of the most underwhelming drams I have ever had was JW Blue, a lot of hype and at the time I thought a Dalwhinnie 15yo was much better. I have not tried the ones inbetween the black and the blue, yet. I have a mate who works at one the distilleries under Diaego, not got any deals lined up but they do have some decent staff discounts from time to time.
Black Label, for me, is a belter of a dram and puts many a single malt to shame. Totally agree about Blue Label, thoroughly mediocre- especially at the price. Green label is a blended malt. I seem to remember it being discontinued then reintroduced, not sure how current bottlings compare to older expressions. I last tasted it before it was discontinued and it was very good indeed.

Black Label, for me, is a belter of a dram and puts many a single malt to shame. Totally agree about Blue Label, thoroughly mediocre- especially at the price. Green label is a blended malt. I seem to remember it being discontinued then reintroduced, not sure how current bottlings compare to older expressions. I last tasted it before it was discontinued and it was very good indeed.

All JWs whiskies are blends; the Red, Black, Double Black, Green, Gold & Blue

The Green is the standout for me of the lot; the Double Black is a great decanter filler; but then again I prefer Black Bottle

I had a bottle of JW Blue; I'd never pay for it myself. It was good, but that's it.. Didn't wow or anything and at that price, I'd rather have 2 SMWS 15 YO cask strength bottles rather than one 'aged' Blended

Trying this tonight. I really enjoyed it at a Cadenheads tasting, interesting to see how it gets on at home.

5082-A973-DFC9-4-EFD-89-AD-02482-B565244.jpg

PS Having tasted again this is strong proof that decent spirit and careful use of great casks can trump an extravagant age statement.

PPS I also bought a Manzanilla cask Ben Nevis of a similar age at the same tasting. I slightly preferred it to this, so I've a lot to look forward to.

Trying this tonight. I really enjoyed it at a Cadenheads tasting, interesting to see how it gets on at home.

5082-A973-DFC9-4-EFD-89-AD-02482-B565244.jpg

PS Having tasted again this is strong proof that decent spirit and careful use of great casks can trump an extravagant age statement.

PPS I also bought a Manzanilla cask Ben Nevis of a similar age at the same tasting. I slightly preferred it to this, so I've a lot to look forward to.

Interesting Ardbeg rant from Ralfy based on the recent multi-million ££ cask sale, marketing bullshit and declining quality of the range

Linking these two together I suspect that the best value in the future is going to be small scale independent bottling of; decent, low profile, but not especially low volume distillery product. You need to grit your teeth to pay £50 for relatively young whisky but once you've submerged yourself it is fine.

To back that up I've also got a 12 year old, Laphroaig cask matured, Ardmore from Whiskybroker that is very different to this Cadenheads version but just as interesting. Maybe not as an enjoyably full on assault on my senses but great for calm and contented sipping.

The difference with Ardbeg, and why I'd worry about Ardbeg's future is that they have just more than doubled production and will need to find thousands more acceptable casks to fill. That's when they have clearly been struggling to find good ones to accommodate the old two still process. Cadenhead's, Whiskybroker and the like only need to find casks in 1s and 2s and they can market the content when it is at its best.

advertisement

Back