advertisement

Whisky II

Who needs Springbank?

Report back please.
Having just bought the Whiskybroker Glen Moray I've decided to crack these two that have been sitting:
Latter picked up on sale at Aberdeen Whisky at £50.

Glen Morays - The North Star is not bad but a bit cloying and too sweet... haven't had that with oloroso before. The amontillado is really nice...well-integrated is what I'd say if I knew what I was talking about
Opened the Old Perth PX. It's coming across hot and young, reminds me of the Glenallachie 10yo cask strength. Hmm. Hope it calms down with time.

I've tried the Ardnahoe on Friday and a decent 20 year old blend from Fragrant Drops, both were very good. The whiskybroker stuff was picked up safely today, I thought the Glen Moray might be a tad darker for an almost double matured (vs finish) and a nice touch with individually numbered bottles though not sure what to make with getting number 13.

Report back please.
Well I wouldn’t trust my opinion, but it’s decent enough. Bit prickly so for me needs a fair bit of water, but the GS character is definitely there.
I've tried the Ardnahoe on Friday and a decent 20 year old blend from Fragrant Drops, both were very good.
Glad to hear this has been positively received by the wider community. They seem to be doing everything right with presentation. Don’t want the old guard of Islay getting complacent, eh? Understand the price tag but can’t justify a bottle.

Just renewed my subscription to SMWS and took the opportunity to add a cheap mystery bottle in with that (I think it might have been an additional £20). That's arrived today and it's "Library Fees", a 9-year old Glen Moray that's 58.3% and finished in ex-bourbon barrels. Reviews are reasonable and I don't have a Glen Moray so happy enough with that.

The review (based on it being £60) said: "On the nose there's dusty old books, orange marmalade, and sugar syrup. Actually there’s a lot of orange as we keep going back to it. The palate has sugar cubes, orange juice, a touch of milk chocolate, ginger nut biscuits and leather. Drinkable but a little one dimensional and nothing too special."

The SMWS tasting notes are their usual oddness: "We opened an old library book, each page having been gently buttered by a toast obsessive. We then dunked a new wellington boot in dark cherry jam and decorated it with fennel. The palate was leathery, with bergamot, a pinch of mace, juicy plums, and lemon and honey lozenges. Water introduced a fruit salad to the nose, along with sandcastles on the beach and waxed cotton jackets. To finish, the palate became much sweeter, as condensed milk joined almond butter and madeira cake dusted with Chinese five spice."

Good stuff! I think you’d love the GS Victoriana then. Not tried the latest release but last year‘s is still one of my favourite drams.
Just found this old post from 2022 recommending GS Victoriana to me, and I've only just got around to following it, thanks to the nudge from Weekender. I must say I'm loving the burnt-caramel bomb. Not complex but wonderfully rich. It's up there with Machrie Moor Fingal's Cut Quarter Cask as my recent favourites.

edit: Sold out - didn't last long. Bagged one plus a Kilkerran 12

And:

advertisement

Back