advertisement

Whisky II

Anyone else feeling lingering resentment about missing out on Springbank?
Adequate consolation is widely available.

Nope! Springbank is lost to the flippers.
Whilst I'm in the fortunate position of having all the Springbank I'm ever likely to want to to drink, the small but nagging discomfort in drinking my profit, along with the spirit, is inescapable.

Whilst I'm in the fortunate position of having all the Springbank I'm ever likely to want to to drink, the small but nagging discomfort in drinking my profit, along with the spirit, is inescapable.
I know the feeling well. I started seriously collecting around twenty years ago. I never bought a single bottle that I didn’t intend to drink. But the prices have just gone crazy. I’ve flogged off quite a few, but I’ve kept a select few to drink, including an old 1990’s Springbank 21 YO. It might be amongst the best I’ve ever drank, or it might be a disappointment and I’ll think “eff me, I could have had a new central heating boiler installed if I’d flogged that.” But hey, life's a gamble, and- unless you’re a Buddhist- you’re only here once.

Slightly cheaper here: https://aberdeenwhiskyshop.co.uk/products/kilkerran-heavily-peated-batch-10
Or you could bundle with:
For free postage.
I hear the Kilkerran 2023 16yo is good. (Blue text on front label).
I agree with the writer - I preferred the 12 over the previous vintage 16 when I did a head to head a while back.

Funny old world, I don’t get on all that well with Hazelburn. I find akin to a Diet Springbabk.
For myself it depends on the Springbank. Not much compares to an S15 but a Hazelburn 10, 11 or 12 compares favourably to a S12. The S12 and S15 are really quite different. I miss the S15 I recently finished. My S12 is still existing. The S10…that was meh so I finished it and I don’t desire another.

For myself it depends on the Springbank. Not much compares to an S15 but a Hazelburn 10, 11 or 12 compares favourably to a S12. The S12 and S15 are really quite different. I miss the S15 I recently finished. My S12 is still existing. The S10…that was meh so I finished it and I don’t desire another.
Yeah the 10 only hints at the true greatness of Springbank. You really need the cask strength 12 to begin to see what all the fuss is about. I’ve got a 15 squirrelled away and it will be my last. It’s now priced well beyond my affordability- even if it was possible to lay my hands on a bottle.

Yeah the 10 only hints at the true greatness of Springbank. You really need the cask strength 12 to begin to see what all the fuss is about. I’ve got a 15 squirrelled away and it will be my last. It’s now priced well beyond my affordability- even if it was possible to lay my hands on a bottle.
It is the cask strength 12 that I have, there’s a couple inches remaining. It’s very good for sure but the 15 is very different and very special.

It is the cask strength 12 that I have, there’s a couple inches remaining. It’s very good for sure but the 15 is very different and very special.

Many moons ago, the guy who worked at The Whisky Exchange (when it was at London Bridge) insisted I buy a bottle of this. It was the best piece of advice I’ve ever received. Heavenly! Orgasmic! Nectar of the Gods.

advertisement

Back