advertisement

Whisky II

What do the learned think of this? A cask strength 17yo Signatory bottling from the (in)famous distillery beginning with M..? I guess it's a fraction of an official bottling, but still quite pricey. Are these released quite often / snapped up quickly?

https://www.houseofmalt.co.uk/product/signatory-vintage-17-year-old-secret-speyside-2005-cask-strength-collection-57-speyside-single-malt-scotch-whisky/?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Macallan 17 Signatory Vintage&_kx=A-uC6f__X4mA3LLFP946tCBaT7o_3S2Hn2kfROmEV24=.UvUsPs
They are definitely Macs. They usually go out of stock pretty quick at £140ish, but some Retailers have been asking £150 plus and then they have hung around. This is the first one that has hung around for a while but there have been at least a dozen different casks released in the last couple of months so the wind may be going out of purchases. From the cask numbers there could be 50 of them as there is a cask #1 from House of Malt above and there has been a cask #50 (if there is a cask for each number at Signatory*) each with 600+ bottles (big sherry butts) so there is plenty of them...that's 30,000+ bottles!

Some comments from the Slackers of MRR:
Mr A. "Not going to see any OB cask strength soon, so these seem the next best thing. I'm on 8 now...at this price it's an easy buy"

Mr. B "Perfect...been looking for another at a good price. They're def. good drinkers at £140, but I've also tucked away one of each cask for a long term hold. I only put aside what I'd be happy to drink if it all goes t*ts up. Had 6/7 and most are cracking drams."

One of the earlier releases: https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/229538/secret-speyside-2005-sv

This is the House of Malt cask: https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/233612/secret-speyside-2005-sv
I bought one last week. :D:rolleyes: No I haven't...you guessed it...opened it yet.

*Edit - 13 listed so far: https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies...ntage_year=2005&type_id=&itemsforsale=&votes=
Lowest rating is 87.5 and highest 91.55 but early days and not too many opinions.

What do the learned think of this? A cask strength 17yo Signatory bottling from the (in)famous distillery beginning with M..? I guess it's a fraction of an official bottling, but still quite pricey. Are these released quite often / snapped up quickly?

https://www.houseofmalt.co.uk/product/signatory-vintage-17-year-old-secret-speyside-2005-cask-strength-collection-57-speyside-single-malt-scotch-whisky/?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Macallan 17 Signatory Vintage&_kx=A-uC6f__X4mA3LLFP946tCBaT7o_3S2Hn2kfROmEV24=.UvUsPs
Ridiculously over priced for what it is. For a sherry bomb I look to Arran, Mortlach, Glendronach or Glenfarclas. MoM are knocking out an own label sherry cask Miltonduff for £42 right now. I had a sherried Miltonduff a few years ago that was sublime, so I’ve taken a punt on this. Can’t go wrong at the price imo.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiski...r-old-2008-single-cask-master-of-malt-whisky/

Ridiculously over priced for what it is. For a sherry bomb I look to Arran, Mortlach, Glendronach or Glenfarclas. MoM are knocking out an own label sherry cask Miltonduff for £42 right now. I had a sherried Miltonduff a few years ago that was sublime, so I’ve taken a punt on this. Can’t go wrong at the price imo.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiski...r-old-2008-single-cask-master-of-malt-whisky/

Well, yes, maybe... but across the industry at current prices I'm not so sure. There are some new distilleries producing, what, 3-4 year old whisky (admittedly probably very good spirit) at over £50? Cask strength at £60,£70..more? How much are 18yo OBs now?

Yes, there are some great value whiskies (from recent purchases - Macleans Nose, Thomson Bros), but unfortunately, I came to the Scotch party late, and this is a way to tick off the Macallan, with a well aged, well presented bottling from a reputable indie. That's what I've told myself and I'm sticking with it!

On the sherry front, I'd probably say the Edradour Signatory 10 would be my preference under £60, but I could happily live with the Thomson Bros TB/BSW 6yo at almost half that. Damn good dram that, and a useful benchmark against pricier single malts.

Yes, there are some great value whiskies (from recent purchases - Macleans Nose, Thomson Bros), but unfortunately, I came to the Scotch party late, and this is a way to tick off the Macallan, with a well aged, well presented bottling from a reputable indie. That's what I've told myself and I'm sticking with it!

On the sherry front, I'd probably say the Edradour Signatory 10 would be my preference under £60, but I could happily live with the Thomson Bros TB/BSW 6yo at almost half that. Damn good dram that, and a useful benchmark against pricier single malts.

Fair do’s. Fill yer boots.

I wasn’t bowled over by Macleans nose tbh, but blown away by this

https://www.lochlomondwhiskies.com/products/distillery-edition-two?variant=44117432533206

that @Weekender put me on to.

I think it's horses for courses and I'm interested in trying the Macallan; add in the element of "arriving late to the party" which also applies to me and £140 for a 17yo cask strength IB Macallan can almost be justifed. Almost. Well I bought one anyway. You only live once.
The Signatory compares well price-wise with the Gordon & McPhail Speymalt 19yo cask strength which was about £250 iirc.
Of the OB sherry-bombs I've had the Arran Bodega* and it is very good but doesn't stand up to the Glendronach 18 which I had for under £90 a couple of years ago; but is now oos and £180 where available. Bunna 18 is £128 at RRP...maybe should have gone for that offer on HoM at £96. I'd be interested to hear @jimbob75's opinion on the Bunna vs the Signatory Mac.
Glenallachie have just released an 18 (at 46% ofc) and they want £135 for it...
The Thomson Bros stuff is brilliant value for the money but I could def. taste the metallic grain sweetness in the TB/BSW 6yo. Still - a no-brainer for the price.

*Mind I have not had the Arran 18...wow its £115 and oos...last time I looked it were £90.

The Springbank 15 is £75...no wonder they're unobtainium.

Last edited:
Current best value sherried is definitely the Thompson Bros blend imho, the Campbeltown Loch most recent blend is also decent followed by the rarer Springer 15. My fav's in the past have included Glendronach 15 or 21, I never quite got on with the 18 though? I liked a couple of Glenallachie single casks, the Bunna 18 (older bottling) was spectacular and have had several glendronach single casks which have been truly unique esp the ones from Billy Walker days. The Macallan Edition 2 & 4 were both very good, though their prices have shot up on the secondary.

I was fortunate enough to try a Macallan Oscuro side by side with a Glendronach 30 yo single cask last week, not sure if it was something with the virus I was getting over but both had a hint of chlorine to the nose, the palates were both decent enough but glad they were only samples and not paid for the full bottles, the finishes were quite short for me and not particularly memorable (sadly).

18yos for 2023 which is kind of on-topic:
I nearly bought the Longmorn a few months ago...it then went from low £80s to about £100.:rolleyes:
Don't think I'll ever try the Talisker now...from previous comments think I'll be perfectly happy with the 10.
Cracked my first Leading 18 on holiday last month and it went down very well with me...and Dad and my brother...relatively good value too at £80-odd.

Only listened to the intro, but interesting re: Bunna 18 inconsistency. The chap that did our warehouse 9 tasting (2021) said it had older whisky in it so was a bit of a bargain at the price. I’ll have to wait until the end of July to report back on mine!
The Signatory however, gets opened tonight..

Cask #3 reviewed:
https://www.whiskyfun.com/#150623

Well, I had a wee snifter last night...it's massive, rich, intense, overwhelming - like the best cask-strength aged bourbons and rums I've had, but far more complex...cognac-y? I'll reserve judgement for now, in case there was a bit of psychological influence from the price tag, but this is going to take a long time to unravel...

Well, I had a wee snifter last night...it's massive, rich, intense, overwhelming - like the best cask-strength aged bourbons and rums I've had, but far more complex...cognac-y? I'll reserve judgement for now, in case there was a bit of psychological influence from the price tag, but this is going to take a long time to unravel...
Time and water are your friends.

Oh it was definitely taking the water… but perhaps a tad rushed. Nothing like the Bunna 18 I had a coupla years ago btw. A tasting beside my Signatory Edradour straight from the cask might be in order though.
Will be interested to hear your thoughts when you open the bugger..

Waiting for the train back from the Manchester Springbank Society tasting...bit disappointed that there was not a transit out the back full of cases of 12yo CS but £11 for several drams of Campbeltown's finest I'm not complaining.
Hic.

Last edited:
Venue was The Whiskey Jar on Tariff St in the basement tasting room. Nice space but lots of hard surfaces so the acoustics were a tad harsh as the night went on and the crowd of approx. 50 became more...enthusiastic.
The drams were:
Hazelburn 11yo 2023 54.2% - a Society release from 2020. Recharred bourbon. Floral, vanilla, eau de Cologne.
Hazelburn 12yo sherry cask 49.9% - clean sherry and very easy drinking. Slightly preferred the 11.
Springbank Local Barley 2023 55.1% - This has 55% sherry casks but you wouldn't know it; I asked if they were refill but the Rep, didn't know. Similar in impact to the standard 10 but with oomph and coconut on the nose and palate.
Springbank 12 cask strength 2023 54.1% - let's have a look at what you could've won. The nose on this...I can't describe it...it was bleedin' lovely. Vanilla, biscuit, light smoke and that dunnage/funky thing on palate. My dram of the night. Last chance at retail is the Whisky Exchange by my reckoning and it will probably be ballot so...£160 on secondary.:(
Springbank Palo Cortado 59%ish - the next in the sherry releases after last year's PX monster which divided opinion. Didn't get to try that but this is a winner for me. The distillate not overpowered by cask.
Longrow Red 6yo cask strength 59% - young, bold, peaty in wine is not to everyone's taste but good for me. Tasting notes becoming even more vague than normal but I got a mushroom/umami thing that was v. nice.
Tickets were £11.55 and a good time was had by all. Certainly a great perk to membership and hopefully Springbank will be back in Manchester soon.
My head is a little sore...not helped by the Mrs passing half-finished drams over.

advertisement

Back