advertisement

Whisky II

I've been informed by the lovely wife that we have a major anniversary due this summer. I've also been informed of the gift she is expecting (jewellery, naturally...). She has suggested that she might like to reciprocate by buying me a nice bottle of whisky. Now, I'm a firm believer in diminishing returns and understand supply and demand rather than quality can dictate prices...but... if you absolutely had to...where would your hard-earned pennies be going up to £200-ish? Other than avoiding anything with fancy packaging and sold as a luxury commodity, I'm open to ideas. Chin-chin.

I've been informed by the lovely wife that we have a major anniversary due this summer. I've also been informed of the gift she is expecting (jewellery, naturally...). She has suggested that she might like to reciprocate by buying me a nice bottle of whisky. Now, I'm a firm believer in diminishing returns and understand supply and demand rather than quality can dictate prices...but... if you absolutely had to...where would your hard-earned pennies be going up to £200-ish? Other than avoiding anything with fancy packaging and sold as a luxury commodity, I'm open to ideas. Chin-chin.
IB 17yo cask strength Macallan:
https://www.nickollsandperks.co.uk/...05-Cask-29-Cask-Strength-Collection-Signatory
Top rated Whiskbase entries:
https://shop.whiskybase.com/us/top-25/

It looks like a few places have popped up w Signatory ‘Macallan’, it seems an odd bottle. 17 years, cask strength, sherried, ‘only’ £130-150 and about four different casks? A distillery own bottle at cask strength would easily go with an extra zero on it. So what’s wrong with it?

RMW released one today too £130

It looks like a few places have popped up w Signatory ‘Macallan’, it seems an odd bottle. 17 years, cask strength, sherried, ‘only’ £130-150 and about four different casks? A distillery own bottle at cask strength would easily go with an extra zero on it. So what’s wrong with it?

RMW released one today too £130
I'm guessing it's Macallan new make put into Signatory sherry butts. The Whiskybase reviews suggest it is straight good modern sherried whisky so probably not like the older Macallan stuff
https://www.whiskybase.com/search/whisky?q=Signatory&bottler=&brandname=Secret Speyside&vintage_year=&bottle_date_year=2023&itemsforsale=&rating=
House of Malt had a site wide 10% offer on last week and I took a punt at £125...figured it's probably the only way I'll likely try Macallan. Will it beat the 22 Bunna 12 CS...?
What I don't know is how decisions are made about what can be sold under the Macallan name and what can't e.g.:
https://www.whiskynotes.be/2023/macallan/macallan-laphroaig-bowmore-25-years-symingtons-choice/

Has the 25 been sat in a butt selected and stamped by Macallan in the Signatory warehouse? Whereas the 17s are in "lesser quality" Signatory butts...?

Just back from a week in Edinburgh, with these.

339424791_172233025733565_36173923287075424_n.jpg

Just finished an Arran Machrie Moor. Really enjoyed it. What to replace it with?

Default would be another MM, but wondered about one of the other Machrie Moor expressions - Fingal’s Cut maybe? Thoughts on that? I have three other Arrans on the go, so will be looking for something peated. I also have a Port Charlotte Islay Barley and a Bunna Something Unpronounceable And Hard To Spell open.

Just finished an Arran Machrie Moor. Really enjoyed it. What to replace it with?

Default would be another MM, but wondered about one of the other Machrie Moor expressions - Fingal’s Cut maybe? Thoughts on that? I have three other Arrans on the go, so will be looking for something peated. I also have a Port Charlotte Islay Barley and a Bunna Something Unpronounceable And Hard To Spell open.

I’ve had both the quarter cask and Sherry cask fingals cut - both very nice! I preferred the Sherry cask, but I’m always a huge fan of peated whiskeys aged in Sherry casks so no surprise there! I don’t think you’d be disappointed with either.

advertisement

Back