advertisement

Whisky II

JW Experience has its own bottle ('Princes St') in the shop, usually based on the season or it has done so in the past. They apparently offer some samples if you are keen, this is what I heard from one of my mates who pops in regularly, I have not been yet. The bar upstairs also stocks different drams from across the Diageo range and the views are apparently very good, also hearing this 2nd hand. If you are up by the Edinburgh Castle, there is the Scotch Whisky Experience and they have a decent shop. Royal Mile Whisky or Cadenhead would be my two recommendations if you are heading down the Royal Mile. Enjoy Edinburgh mate!

The Johnny Walker tour in Edinburgh is quite different from distillery tours and I enjoyed it, as did the other folks I was with. It is very slick and professional and focuses more on the Johnny Walker story than about making whisky, plus most of the drinking is about other ways to enjoy whisky e.g. in cocktails etc. The whisky shop was quite well stocked if I recall correctly, however I ended up going for one of the seasonal blends they do and which you can bottle yourself, mine being a winter blend.

Cheers folks, I'll report back on which I go for. And Cadenheads/RMW are definitely on the list to visit. Lived in Edinburgh for a year a long time ago, and before I got a taste for the good stuff.

It's been some years since I treated myself to a peaty malt.
Mainly because it's so much more expensive here than in Europe.
I've completely given up on my favourite Lagavulin 12 or 16 which are well north of £100 here.

However, I found a lonesome bottle of Ardberg 10 on a clearance price, normally £75 down to a snadge under £50, I had to have it!

Now opened and scrumptiously delicious ;)

It's been some years since I treated myself to a peaty malt.
Mainly because it's so much more expensive here than in Europe.
I've completely given up on my favourite Lagavulin 12 or 16 which are well north of £100 here.

However, I found a lonesome bottle of Ardberg 10 on a clearance price, normally £75 down to a snadge under £50, I had to have it!

Now opened and scrumptiously delicious ;)

Great buy; it's a very, very good dram and you have to spend a lot more to better it IMO

FYI if you can get it, Laga 8 is well worth the buy and IMO, more in-depth and complex than the 16 - non coloured/chillfiltered too! Unlike the 16!

Agree on the Laga 8 - it is also higher abv than the 16! But, I think Port Charlotte 10 is a contender for Ardbeg's crown, being similarly priced, both ncf and 4% higher abv. It's my current peaty dram on the go and the bottle is lowering at an alarming rate. I do have an Ardbeg 10 and Uigeadail arriving tomorrow (after a couple of years hiatus) and intend to blind taste between them. Not that there has to be a winner - I'm sure there is room for both in my life..!

Agree on the Laga 8 - it is also higher abv than the 16! But, I think Port Charlotte 10 is a contender for Ardbeg's crown, being similarly priced, both ncf and 4% higher abv. It's my current peaty dram on the go and the bottle is lowering at an alarming rate. I do have an Ardbeg 10 and Uigeadail arriving tomorrow (after a couple of years hiatus) and intend to blind taste between them. Not that there has to be a winner - I'm sure there is room for both in my life..!

See I like PC; but find Ardbeg is deeper and more rounded... PC doesn't last long for me...

The Ugi is a superb dram; TBH I haven't had a bad Ardbeg yet. Quite liked the Wee Beastie and very drinkable and the Corry is about my favourite

Yes, Ardbeg was what made me fall in love with a peaty dram, and Corry is superb. There is a meatiness about their whisky that is lacking elsewhere on Islay. They can be a bit heavy on the marketing though, and I recall grumblings last year of a drop in consistency with the 10, but hopefully a batch blip and not indicative of anything more serious.

Great buy; it's a very, very good dram and you have to spend a lot more to better it IMO

FYI if you can get it, Laga 8 is well worth the buy and IMO, more in-depth and complex than the 16 - non coloured/chillfiltered too! Unlike the 16!

I did a back to back tasting at the distillery which included the 8 and the 16, and agree that the 8 is very decent. The 16 is better though, and the Distillers Edition better again (and not that much more expensive than the 16 at the moment).

I did a back to back tasting at the distillery which included the 8 and the 16, and agree that the 8 is very decent. The 16 is better though, and the Distillers Edition better again (and not that much more expensive than the 16 at the moment).

Distillers never tried; but does interest me...

Agree, the 16 is good; but for what it is and what price its at, I'll always favour the 8YO more, for me it's better bang for buck and personally; I think it's a better dram

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Was just looking at those. Very tempted as I have a £5 voucher as well. Big fan of Laga 8, but not sure I can stump up 60 for the 16. Of the two Caol Ilas which is the one to go for?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001HU7THE/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Arse, can't use the £5 on alcohol. What's the point of that eh? :)

Was just looking at those. Very tempted as I have a £5 voucher as well. Big fan of Laga 8, but not sure I can stump up 60 for the 16. Of the two Caol Ilas which is the one to go for?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001HU7THE/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Arse, can't use the £5 on alcohol. What's the point of that eh? :)

I've got the Moch myself currently and it's more 'thick' than the 12 with quite a bit more going on; but both very good and I'd recommend both...

I wouldn't pay the current asking price for the Laga 16, it's not worth it IMO

Quite happy to stick with the 8 personally

advertisement

Back