advertisement

Which Uni courses are likely to lead to jobs in future ?

medicine
dentistry
veterinary
midwifery
nurse
physiotherapy
Engineering could probably be added?

Also, the idea up thread that apprenticeships are a viable alternative is rather misleading, incredibly hard to get one.

It’s pretty tough out there for youngsters.

I gave up on the list as I couldn't be bothered with an odd view of the world - but yes some areas of ENG

Also, the idea up thread that apprenticeships are a viable alternative is rather misleading, incredibly hard to get one.
this is true. Interestingly demand for Degree Apprenticeships is growing in STEM.

I gave up on the list as I couldn't be bothered with an odd view of the world - but yes some areas of ENG

this is true. Interestingly demand for Degree Apprenticeships is growing in STEM.
Degree level apprenticeships are a pretty tough path also, very hard work so suit a more ‘grown up’ teenager.

It’s very difficult to predict what the ROI is on many degrees, it’s down to the individual to make the best use of their skills. Ultimately you still have to apply & interview for roles.

I’m not sure that doing a degree to get a degree is much better.
I graduated in 1995 but went back to HE in 2010 and have been studying on and off since then. PGCert at the OU, a BA and I'm now halfway through a distance learning Masters.

Motivation is about half career and half my own interest. I really believe in the value of learning for its own sake. I'm going to keep exercising my few remaining battered braincells for as long as I can.

Just reading an interesting book on this subject:
"Shop Class As Soulcraft. (An inquiry into the value of work)" by Matthew B. Crawford

The basic thesis is that while the assembly line deprived the manual worker of pride in individual skill and workmanship, today corporate systems and computers have deprived the white-collar, supposedly "thinking" worker of any decision-making, since everything is pre-decided by the corporate, or pubic administrative, system on the basis of programmed parameters.

The conclusion, if I understand correctly, is to nurture manual skills as a student is growing up in school, since these develop logical and analytical thinking, then send him/her to university to study literature, philosophy, economics, sciences or whatever. He/she can then decide between a white collar job, if it is a good one that allows for real creative thinking, or becoming a builder or electrician or mechanic.

Not economics apparently. Son #1 has sterling pre-uni academic record, a good degree from a top university for that field but still looking for an economics-related job one year on. Ideally it will have been a development economics role but he's not picky & can't afford to be. Looks like he will have to go into a computer programming type job if this carries on (he's a nifty at that type of stuff). In the mid 80's, I had an offer before I graduated in Mech Engineering with a far worse academic record from what was one of those "newer" universities.

In the mid 80's, I had an offer before I graduated in Mech Engineering with a far worse academic record from what was one of those "newer" universities.

that sentence feels full of disdain - presumably not an ex poly? A mere 1960s red brick?

It’s pretty tough out there for youngsters.

Seemingly they can't get enough apprentices over here (NI) especially in Engineering.
There's (IMHO) some great opportunities for kids, an apprenticeship with a firm that pays the kids to go to college and at the end if successful they have a degree, a job and no fees to pay.
No such thing existed when I was of school leaving age.
Maybe it's different in your neck of the woods.

Seemingly they can't get enough apprentices over here (NI) especially in Engineering.
There's (IMHO) some great opportunities for kids, an apprenticeship with a firm that pays the kids to go to college and at the end if successful they have a degree, a job and no fees to pay.

are you talking about Degree Apprenticeships? or more traditional apprenticeships

In a degree apprenticeship the tuition fee is covered by the levy companies pay into, and the government tops up 10%. Employers with a pay bill of over £3m pay into the levy at 0.5% of their pay bill.

Companies must tie in with an apprenticeship approved HEI, then they recruit apprentices like any other job. Candidates must meet the criteria to gain employment and satisfy the entry requirements of the HEI.

The institute for apprenticeships issues the standards companies and HEI use. The delivery and QA of apprenticeships is monitored at both HEIs and employers by OFSTED - in the same way as they treat schools (a bit of a shock some HEIs who will rarely have provision inspected by OFSTED).

Entry to Apprenticeships is hard. Our degree apprenticeship is growing, and they are among the best students we have at undergraduate level. One can also do masters degree apprenticeship.

I think of those ‘degrees‘ as vocational qualifications like plumbing and the like. Sort of white collar apprenticeships.
add Opthalmology, Law, Archticture, probably a few others. I think Engineering, for example, is too broad for a list like that

I think availability varies massively. For example, would be electricians are finding it very difficult to get proper training. A lot of students do something practical post GCSE which can lead to nothing.

It’s a bit of a mess to say the least.

Probably defined by students taking the course for the money. It's interesting that people who miss out of a place in e.g. medicine almost never take a STEM degee despite having the STEM A levels...

Health related. My niece missed medicine but ended up in Physio.

Health related. My niece missed medicine but ended up in Physio.
Same is true for Law. It's the perception real or otherwise of financial reward. They're typically students who cram rather than those who learn a subject for the appreciation of the academic side. I always found it a bit sad.

Yes @gintonic I was talking about Degree Apprenticeships, on the little that I've read (I was trying to get my son interested) and heard on various NI news programmes I thought they looked like a great opportunity for youngsters.

There's also opportunity available for kids to do traditional Apprenticeships, over the past couple of years (finished now)we've been renovating and refurbished our house, whilst I've done alot of the work myself for certain jobs we've had trades here, everyone of them has had an apprentice with them.

There's also been alot of talk of jobs in the NI tourism and especially the film industry but I've no idea if any of these may be linked to colleges or apprentice programmes.

advertisement

Back