advertisement

Which Uni courses are likely to lead to jobs in future ?

Yep, the famous Yorkshire men sketch.
I'm a Yorkshire man, I work in manufacturing and my father and his father were both coal miners. I howl every time I hear the sketch because I've heard it in real life a thousand times. @DV, Remember that Michael Palin grew up in Sheffield, this sketch has his fingerprints all over it. Just as "I want to be a miner, father" does. I too have seen the South Yorkshire factory worker , coal miner, steel worker, a thousand times. They still exist in towns like Barnsley,and they still have a chip on their shoulder and think that they are something special.
That's why it's funny. But if you haven't seen these people, you won't recognise the characters and the joke won't work.

Mick,

To be honest Joe, I would have thought a Bees bum is less attractive than a front facial view. Still each to his own.

Every picture has a story...

As an amateur nature photographer I prefer to not alter a scene to get a photo as a point of pride. That bumblebee was buzzing around the fleabane for an hour and each time I moved to get a frontal view for a photo, it hovered somewhere else, giving me the bum instead. After a while I thought I'd make the most of it.

Occasionally, however, I get the photo I had hoped for, though this is a different bee, different time.

52707248934_d53876084a_h.jpg

Joe

I'm a Yorkshire man, I work in manufacturing and my father and his father were both coal miners. I howl every time I hear the sketch because I've heard it in real life a thousand times. @DV, Remember that Michael Palin grew up in Sheffield, this sketch has his fingerprints all over it. Just as "I want to be a miner, father" does. I too have seen the South Yorkshire factory worker , coal miner, steel worker, a thousand times. They still exist in towns like Barnsley,and they still have a chip on their shoulder and think that they are something special.
That's why it's funny. But if you haven't seen these people, you won't recognise the characters and the joke won't work.
I have family in Mexborough, fair to say I’ve seen & heard some things. Makes Barnsley posh & Donny is seen as the big city…

Yes, I also spent 30 years as a careers adviser/psychologist, plus a licensed psychometric test user. For 15 years I was also the career advisor for the major English ballet companies, so I got to meet many of our top dancers in transition, which was very rewarding. A battery of tests and questionnaires will give a range of choices that are probably in the ballpark, and useful for "don't knows". Plus questionnaires are basically just a way of getting people to express themselves. Bottom line is that it's always the true inner motivation of the client that you want to bring out. The questionnaires are mostly for generating a deeper discussion, you don't ever use them in a prescriptive way, as you say.

Talking of "prescriptive", I'd say that the whole thread is full of prescriptive advice, starting from the title of the thread. The assumption is that "you study what gives you a well paid job". Fine for many, but for others not enough. I was a jazz musician for 15 years - never made much money but absolutely loved it, and I'd do it again.

Well yes.. I qualified via my degree, (which handily contained a fair mix of Psychology, Economics, Sociology etc.. though I picked as many Politics courses as I was allowed.), followed by the 1 year FT Diploma in Career Guidance Pt. 1, followed by a Probationary Year to acquire Dip CG Pt 2.
I also gained British Psychological Society qualifications in Psychometric Testing and assorted other stuff.
Psychometric Testing certainly has its uses as a tool for challenging perceptions, generating ideas etc.. although it was rather fading from view a bit towards the end of my tenure. I absolutely agree that the use of Psychometrics without proper explanation, preparation and follow up guidance can do much more harm than good.

As for degree league tables.. what gets the best paid employment..and morphing into talk of 'Mickey Mouse' degrees etc.. is almost always a front for a political agenda of some sort.. or just a lot of ill-concealed envy.
It was that odious little prick Gove, who famously 'dissed' Arts Degrees, in his ignorance of the huge value of the UK Fashion, Media etc..industry..and even if by 'Arts' he meant the broader definition, he rather overlooked the fact that half the bloody cabinet had degrees in PPE.

As it was when I was working.. All of the required information for Degree Course choice could be had from two books. 'Which Degree?' and 'Degree Course Offers', which detailed entry requirements, course content etc., even down to the male: female ratio of the student cohort, etc.
I haven't looked, but I'd rather hope that something similar is still available in print, online, or both.
In Merseyside, we also organised a 'H.E. Conference' annually. Students from all 6th Forms and other Level 3 Institutions were bussed in to explore a 'Marketplace' of HE Institutions with their recruitment stuff, plus literally hundreds info sessions of specific subjects in HE, delivered by course leaders/lecturers.
Of course all of that is now gone, and I fear for most kids in school as Career Guidance is extremely patchy.. again.. mostly thanks to Gove.

yes i agree - this is often the direction school teachers who possess limited knowledge send their students in when they see interest in computer games.

Which of course is why 'yer average' teacher should not be attempting to issue Career Guidance. There were very sound reasons for having an independent, properly qualified cohort of Career Advisers to ensure that every school student, school leaver, young employee and trainee, had access to impartial advice and guidance, based on actual knowledge and experience.
Just something else in the endless list of public services etc., either broken, flogged off, or just deleted by the sodding Tories.

I'm born, bought up and only lived in pit towns and live in one now! I'd say around here at least that mentality is quite rare, they've mostly died off. The other stuff still exists like overt racism and "woke" warriors but the pit mentality is seemingly long gone, just like the pits and even the manufacturing that replaced it.

One thing does still exist even amongst quite a few young people and that is any sense of wanting to leave the town, even for a nice day out shopping/eating etc. It's like they'll turn into a frog if they step out of the town, unless it is to go to Skeg Vegas, which is pit-town-by-the-sea obvs.

Why would any sane person want to work down a pit, it must have been the most dirty, uncomfortable and dangerous job in the UK. Any father who sent his son down the pit must have been truly evil.

Maggie should have been awarded a Noble prize for getting rid of it.

Why would any sane person want to work down a pit, it must have been the most dirty, uncomfortable and dangerous job in the UK. Any father who sent his son down the pit must have been truly evil.

Maggie should have been awarded a Noble prize for getting rid of it.

You may not be aware, Mick, but the country is kept running by millions of people doing horrible, dirty, smelly, dangerous jobs.

I have a 16 year old nephew. The question is for him. He doesn't know what he wants to study. He is perhaps just above average smart.
I agree that Uni courses do not have to lead directly to jobs, but let's just say he would like a good chance of a job after studies.
The lawyer, doctor, accountant, dentist type professions are a given but apart from those ?
The future job market looks more uncertain than ever with AI and robotics likely to cause many changes in the next 5-25 years.
Even if he wanted to ride the tidal wave of AI or robotics itself what would he study at Uni ?
Yes it will be his choice.
Tks for any advice.
Criminal psychology is the way to go.

Yep, the famous Yorkshire men sketch.
Didn't they (or was it somebody else) do a variation on that sketch about sleeping in a cardboard box etc? (yeah I know that's also in the sketch but the one I'm vaguely remembering wasn't the yorkshieman one - unless my memory is really playing tricks on me, which is possible).

Didn't they (or was it somebody else) do a variation on that sketch about sleeping in a cardboard box etc? (yeah I know that's also in the sketch but the one I'm vaguely remembering wasn't the yorkshieman one - unless my memory is really playing tricks on me, which is possible).
Every am dram group has done a take on it. A mate was a med student, they spoofed it and the punchline was "you were lucky! I used to work in the NHS!" I did one for a mountaineer ing club where the privations were ever more hideous and based on other members. "Nowt t'eat but John D's tuna pasta slop" etc.

Reactions: gez
I’d say if he’s not the academic type then don’t waste his time and money going to uni, it’s not the be all and end all…it seems a cliche but get a trade, choose one and contact local firms or self employed people in the area, by the time he’s 20 he will be working for himself.

Good luck whichever path he Chooses, it’s a mad house out there.

I’ve always considered the idea of anyone choosing a degree to get a job a sure sign of bovine stupidity. I’m not sure that doing a degree to get a degree is much better.

advertisement

Back