advertisement

Which amplifier for Dynaudio C1

@Killersteve Can't help but think the room has got to do with it, might well be wrong.
What's your room size and how's that treated?

Yes , class d amps vary in quality. My current Ghent audio are diy and ok but xlr sockets are not the best quality , the locking thingie is a bit thin and weedy compared to bel canto or other stuff

Ps audio stuff looks ok but it's not cheap
Bel canto new is expensive too
There are a few more kids on the block like march audio which Keith sells and of course Nord which so many love

Have seen some photos from the Amp inside already. Very well built. I am near to order a stereo amp with largest modul and silver plated connectors. Just to try and maybe to be surprised about Class D. Will sleep one night and decide tomorrow.

@Killersteve Can't help but think the room has got to do with it, might well be wrong.
What's your room size and how's that treated?

Not sure why the room should be the problem. Had other speakers without any problem. The Dynaudio are the first with only 4Ohm load and need of 170W power. My personal view is that the Teddy‘s are not powerful enough on 4Ohm load. Have tested a Copland CTA408 which easely drived my C1 but not meets my personal likes. I know my room under the roof is not the best solution but have already implemented some gimmicks like carpets, curtains on the opposite wall, positioning 1,5m away from the rear.

Will be good to hear how you like the amp if you go ahead and order it. Please let us know how it goes.

As far as could be spot actually Copland CTA408 is rated at 2x75W into 3 ohms or 8 ohms load, whilst, Yair from Teddy told you the MB100 delivers 150W on 4Ohms.
Could it be you like the C1 bass with the CTA408 more because it is less powerful? i.e. the room is not as much excited?

How is bass from C1s+MB100s at low listening level? and/or at what listening level does the bass get bloated with C1s+MB100s in your listening position? do you also get this bloated bass at the same volume level in all other positions in the room or only at the listening position? silly thing but.. do the perceived bloated bass change with open doors and open windows?

As far as we know your problem might be also related to lousy driving capability at 4 ohm of MB100s, but the bloating thing you get with C1s+MB100s could also be well due to some masking effect you get from the C1s' interaction with the room (peaks and nulls of stationary waves which masks/take away/override info from the music message).
We have actually no information related to earlier 8ohm possessed speakers nor room dimensions so my guessing could not be justified.

If I was to step back and give a suggestion about a good amp for the C1s I would consider the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170, I did not directly tested this combo, but it is so much praised in Dynaudio's threads, you might want to make a search if it might appeal to you.
It is a digital amp and you would have the benefit of room correction technology (..in case my gut feeling is right..) and a Power rating of 2 x 170 W @ 4Ohm.

As for old fashioned/analog amps I've listened to good vibes with a Vtl IT-85 integrated and C1s MK1 at a friend's house, whilst I think I would prefer a bit of less coloured sound, which could be achieved with an amp such as a Graaf GM 100 instead..

Worth considering the Gato Audio Amp 150AE. 250w Into 4 ohm from a MOSFET design. I’m obviously biased as I bought one, but a useful step up from Bel Canto monoblocs I had previously - there is an inherent smoothness and musicality to the sound whilst still retaining plenty of punch. Best amp I’ve heard below £6k including Luxman, McIntosh etc.

Worth considering the Gato Audio Amp 150AE. 250w Into 4 ohm from a MOSFET design. I’m obviously biased as I bought one, but a useful step up from Bel Canto monoblocs I had previously - there is an inherent smoothness and musicality to the sound whilst still retaining plenty of punch. Best amp I’ve heard below £6k including Luxman, McIntosh etc.
Did you demo the Gato monoblocs? I’ve been tempted to try Gato as I use a dealer that keeps them but not got round to it yet. Flipped the Bel Cantos out for a 590AXII last weekend, jury is out...

Did you demo the Gato monoblocs? I’ve been tempted to try Gato as I use a dealer that keeps them but not got round to it yet. Flipped the Bel Cantos out for a 590AXII last weekend, jury is out...

I haven’t but, have to admit to being curious about just how good they are. I suspect very. If bonuses weren’t significantly down this year at work I suspect it would be an itch I’d be inclined to scratch. Perhaps not a bad thing though as I continue to be very impressed by the integrated.

This is very interesting as Gato and Lyngdorf have great reviews. It’s good to hear first hand experience.

This is very interesting as Gato and Lyngdorf have great reviews. It’s good to hear first hand experience.
Lyngdorf amps offer a different solution, the 3400 is a fantastic “super integrated”. Well worth a demo if it’s feature set appeals. I ran the Bel Canto Monos from a 3400 operating as a DAC/Pre, the Room Correction is truly excellent. I’ve always wanted to give a big Class A Jap Amp a go hence the Luxman currently in the system.

yes midland audio have a nice 590 ax 11 at 5k . audio emotion have had some gato pwr at 6 k which would be lovely to hear

The great thing about the bel canto monoblocks vs the luxman integrated is the ability to play with wonderful pre amps into them

I recall using a superb belles vt01 into the bel canto ref 1000 ( coherent modded) and it was very enjoyable indeed. Texture and sense of presence in bucket loads

The great thing about the bel canto monoblocks vs the luxman integrated is the ability to play with wonderful pre amps into them

I recall using a superb belles vt01 into the bel canto ref 1000 ( coherent modded) and it was very enjoyable indeed. Texture and sense of presence in bucket loads
Plan to give the Luxman a thorough work out this weekend, after a few days use so far it’s not the “wow” I was expecting. Will be dropping the Bel Cantos back in once my new DAC arrives, it has XLR and RCA out so a quick flip of speaker cable will let me get a good idea how the Class A compares to the Class D.

Brill , look forward to it . If I saw a pair of ref 500 affordable I would be thinking about them. Personally I think bel canto make some of the most rugged class d amps .They seem to go on and on ...... for years .

As far as could be spot actually Copland CTA408 is rated at 2x75W into 3 ohms or 8 ohms load, whilst, Yair from Teddy told you the MB100 delivers 150W on 4Ohms.
Could it be you like the C1 bass with the CTA408 more because it is less powerful? i.e. the room is not as much excited?

How is bass from C1s+MB100s at low listening level? and/or at what listening level does the bass get bloated with C1s+MB100s in your listening position? do you also get this bloated bass at the same volume level in all other positions in the room or only at the listening position? silly thing but.. do the perceived bloated bass change with open doors and open windows?

As far as we know your problem might be also related to lousy driving capability at 4 ohm of MB100s, but the bloating thing you get with C1s+MB100s could also be well due to some masking effect you get from the C1s' interaction with the room (peaks and nulls of stationary waves which masks/take away/override info from the music message).
We have actually no information related to earlier 8ohm possessed speakers nor room dimensions so my guessing could not be justified.

If I was to step back and give a suggestion about a good amp for the C1s I would consider the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170, I did not directly tested this combo, but it is so much praised in Dynaudio's threads, you might want to make a search if it might appeal to you.
It is a digital amp and you would have the benefit of room correction technology (..in case my gut feeling is right..) and a Power rating of 2 x 170 W @ 4Ohm.

As for old fashioned/analog amps I've listened to good vibes with a Vtl IT-85 integrated and C1s MK1 at a friend's house, whilst I think I would prefer a bit of less coloured sound, which could be achieved with an amp such as a Graaf GM 100 instead..

Thanks for your help. Have not tried to check the bass with open window/door.
Will do, but my personal view is, that‘s the speaker itself.

The bass of the 408 seems more powerful. Hearable also at small volumes. With the MB100 not. The bass looses it‘s power in lower volumes. But the 408 is not the solution for me. A lack in details and the bass is not as dry as i like it. Sometimes also too bumpy.

Yesterday I got the Copland DAC 215 from my dealer for a Homedemo. Out of the box I had some really good impressions. The first was that bass is more powerful now. Had no problem with my TT in the past, only with the digital. Tests will go on in the next days. Maybe the solution for my problem. If not I will go on with looking for a Class AB or Class D solution. Have read also some nice reviews of the Lyngdorf amps but will go on with KJF Audio first. Really good communication with Stefan and the amps are nice looking and well built.

@Killersteve .. some other things coming to my mind as you give details.. is your C1s mk1 model? (or mk2 or signature or platinum)

The mk1 model is said to be shy on bass at low volume listening level (they would benefit from a subwoofer, not from different amps IMHO, you might have one around to try this out?), the other newer C1 models are said to be improved under this aspect (how much I don't know).

So, will go on with the Copland DAC and see how the improvement works for me. Maybe I will come back later to this topic but in the moment it seems it solves my problems. Can also use it as a Pre-Amplifier with Valve power. There is one input for a analog source to connect my Phono Pre. Also a headphone amp, but not needed.

Glad you’re sorted. If you’re still going ahead with the KJF amp it’ll be good to hear how it compares to the Teddy Pardo amps.....keep us posted. It’s been a really interesting and helpful thread, thanks.
Happy listening!

advertisement

Back