advertisement

Which amplifier for Dynaudio C1

Hi, I’ve got the TP amps like you and thinking of a change but not really knowing where to start. There was a review of the Parasound A21+ a couple of years ago on Positive Feedback that said that it had all the positives of the MB100s but with more power. It’s a big beast and for that reason it’s not for me and I’ve never heard it but wonder if it’s worth investigating.
Good luck, I'll be really interested to hear what you end up with.
Parasound quality is nothing near to the quality of a Teddy Pardo product so might not be the best investment for the long term. Tone is probably more accurate on the Teddy Pardo as well.

I am not sure how the MB100s qualify however.. is the OP sure that the amps are the weakest link? How about the room, is this threated or not? How about speaker positioning?

As C1s take some beating, when listening at higher than normal listening level the room is much more excited.. And changing amps imho would only risk to be a side step and real problems not properly addressed..
Not an expert here, only a Dynaudio fan.. Just my 5c to try to broaden the overview.

Danish loudspeakers probably go well with Danish amplifiers. A pair of loudspeakers I built (Ergo E-V) kept triggering the protection circuit of a pair of Naim NAP135s (even though rated for 135W into four ohms) whenever I played earth-shaking bass with a bit of volume. I replaced the Naim with a pair of Densen B-350s, each rated for 125W into 8-ohms and 250W into 4-ohms.

They worked really well, and sounded better than the Naim to boot. The OP might be able to find a used mono pair or a single stereo B-330.

Sorry to say, but I was too late. The amp is sold.
There is a 2nd one in Black finish in the Bay. But the seller is sending to GB only. I am located in Germany. Have also no experiences with Class D. Is there any difference in sound compared with Class A/B?

yes thats overpriced . class d has evolved hugely . high end speakers such as martin logan , Kii three , dutch and dutch are class D . amps can range from many thousands to a few hundred . many folks swear by them . using them with my tannoys has been just as enjoyable as class AB or class A . all of which have been here including high end stuff from msb, thtax , sugden etc

Class D historically gets a bad name - the reality is current Class D amps can be and in many cases are just as good as Class A/B. A Luxman Class A arrived last week and I've taken out the Bel Canto Monos - would it be a disaster to swap back - nope, just a bit of a different emphasis on the sound character, both play a decent tune. Not selling the Bel Canto anyway am holding out for a decent priced Pre/VBS and will put them into the Office system for a change in there.

I ended up buying an LSA Hybrid Integrated Amplifier to solve the challenge of driving my Dynaudio Confidence C2’s.

I got the standard version for a shade under a grand and then had it upgraded to statement spec. I love it and haven’t wondered if anything else would do a better job since, which always bothered me with other amps before it. I think it’s a great compromise for valve sound and solid state bass control / speed / authority.

I recommend it and more so the signature and statement versions if they’re available. If I were to go to another amp it’d be a significant financial jump so I’m probably done for as long as I’m trying to drive these speakers properly.

It’s a big amp that weighs a lot so not convenient to send, move, store in a hifi rack etc

I am actually not sure if a valve or hybrid amplifier will satisfy me. Switched back from Copland 408 to Teddy Pre/Amp
and I am happy again. All emotions I lost the last day´s came back. Really like to hear the well known details in every song.
Maybe a SS poweramp is a better choice.

Hi, I’ve got the TP amps like you and thinking of a change but not really knowing where to start. There was a review of the Parasound A21+ a couple of years ago on Positive Feedback that said that it had all the positives of the MB100s but with more power. It’s a big beast and for that reason it’s not for me and I’ve never heard it but wonder if it’s worth investigating.
Good luck, I'll be really interested to hear what you end up with.

Actually I am a little bit frustrated. I really like the Teddy House Sound. My wish are some monos with more power but not willing to loose anything from my likes. Had a E-Mail with Yair from Teddy Pardo. He told me that they are thinking about a comeback of amplifiers but in Class D. Interesting, if the well known sound can be transferred to Class D technology.

I'd recommend Temple Audio Monoblocks with their Supercharger PSUs. 100W/ channel. Something crazy like 600 odd hours to burn in the supercapacitor PSUs, but I'd be confident they would oust your MB100s. They are extremely similar in sound to a Krell KSA-200, with what I suspect is a more accurate / 3D soundstage, the absolute lowest bass from them doesn't have quite the same timbre as the Krell, but it's so close that you would really struggle to tell them apart.

I am not sure how the MB100s qualify however.. is the OP sure that the amps are the weakest link? How about the room, is this threated or not? How about speaker positioning?

As C1s take some beating, when listening at higher than normal listening level the room is much more excited.. And changing amps imho would only risk to be a side step and real problems not properly addressed..
Not an expert here, only a Dynaudio fan.. Just my 5c to try to broaden the overview.

Yes, it´s not the room. Have tested different speaker positions. Also other speakers haven´t had the problem. With the CTA408 I had no bass problem, but with all other things :oops:.
I think, the MB100 are not as powerful as other poweramps on 4Ohm :(.

Class D historically gets a bad name - the reality is current Class D amps can be and in many cases are just as good as Class A/B. A Luxman Class A arrived last week and I've taken out the Bel Canto Monos - would it be a disaster to swap back - nope, just a bit of a different emphasis on the sound character, both play a decent tune. Not selling the Bel Canto anyway am holding out for a decent priced Pre/VBS and will put them into the Office system for a change in there.

gosh thats pain, there was a lovely one at elite on ebay at 650 recently but its gone . they really are pretty superb pre amps for the money

and i notice the coherant ref 1000 are back up, crazy prices for these , they were about 1100 on hifi for sale a few months back , then about 1400 on the wam now the guy wants 1650 for them !!!!

Actually I am a little bit frustrated. I really like the Teddy House Sound. My wish are some monos with more power but not willing to loose anything from my likes. Had a E-Mail with Yair from Teddy Pardo. He told me that they are thinking about a comeback of amplifiers but in Class D. Interesting, if the well known sound can be transferred to Class D technology.

I would get on the waiting list for some KJF audio sa-01 monoblocks. looks lovely quality and very good vfm

https://www.kjfaudio.com/stereo-and-mono-ncore-amplifiers/

gosh thats pain, there was a lovely one at elite on ebay at 650 recently but its gone . they really are pretty superb pre amps for the money

and i notice the coherant ref 1000 are back up, crazy prices for these , they were about 1100 on hifi for sale a few months back , then about 1400 on the wam now the guy wants 1650 for them !!!!
Not in a rush, if one pops up at the right time/price with the newer black front I’ll bite, not exactly slumming it with a bunch of Cyrus in the office :)

Interesting to here that TP is thinking of selling amps again. Ideally I’d like to reduce box count if I changed the amps and thinking about auditioning the highly praised Lyngdorf all in ones but wouldn’t want to lose the depth / layering of sound that the TP amps give. Don’t want to hijack KillerSteve’s conversation but I think we’re both seeking alternative amplifiers or systems to TP without losing the characteristics that we like. Would be good to hear what systems any new Lyngdorf owners have moved on from.

Interesting to here that TP is thinking of selling amps again. Ideally I’d like to reduce box count if I changed the amps and thinking about auditioning the highly praised Lyngdorf all in ones but wouldn’t want to lose the depth / layering of sound that the TP amps give. Don’t want to hijack KillerSteve’s conversation but I think we’re both seeking alternative amplifiers or systems to TP without losing the characteristics that we like. Would be good to hear what systems any new Lyngdorf owners have moved on from.

No Problem! Is interesting to know for me too! Don‘t know when Teddy will bring them to Life.

Stefan is the chap behind frugalhorn etc. They bought out a ma_ 01 with fans . I am on waiting list to try a demo sa_01 with no fans . It's a hypex unit , I like icepower and get superb results from icepower

So be interested to see how hypex compares .I like amps that are warm and the asx 50 bel canto combo is on the warm side so can listen all night if you want with no fatiguing effects

Stefan is the chap behind frugalhorn etc. They bought out a ma_ 01 with fans . I am on waiting list to try a demo sa_01 with no fans . It's a hypex unit , I like icepower and get superb results from icepower

So be interested to see how hypex compares .I like amps that are warm and the asx 50 bel canto combo is on the warm side so can listen all night if you want with no fatiguing effects

Have a chat with Stefan actually. Saw some photos from inside of the multichannel amp. Looks really well built. Will get some of the stereo amp later.

Yes , class d amps vary in quality. My current Ghent audio are diy and ok but xlr sockets are not the best quality , the locking thingie is a bit thin and weedy compared to bel canto or other stuff

Ps audio stuff looks ok but it's not cheap
Bel canto new is expensive too
There are a few more kids on the block like march audio which Keith sells and of course Nord which so many love

advertisement

Back