advertisement

Which amplifier for Dynaudio C1

Killersteve

pfm Member
Hi guys,

sorry to come back with near the same topic, but the situation is following:

Have a pair of Dynaudio C1 and like them very much. I also like my Teddy PR1/MB100
combination, but they have a lack in power. I am trying to find an Amplifier with enough
power to drive my C1. Now I got a Copland CTA-405 and a CTA 408 for a Homedemo from a
friendly Dealer. The problem is, they are very good (the 408 betters the 405), but
the Teddy‘s are better in details and have a dry bass. The Coplands have benefits in voices. They are really sweet. And they have a wider soundstage. If I would like to have a combination of both, means clear details, a dry bass and sweet voices, which way should I go for?

Could get a Copland CTA-506 Amplifier as a replacement for my MB100 but not sure if this will make any sense. Would stay with the Teddy Pre and buy a Copland Valve Power Amp to drive the C1. Most Hybrid type amplifier have a Valve Pre and a Transistor Poweramp.

I am not sure if I could reach my preferences with this combination. Unfortunately I couldn‘t get a Homedemo for only the Power Amp.

Any recommendations are really welcome.

You won't get both, it is that easy. There is no amplifier on the market which has every advantage of a valve amplifier (benefits in voices, they are really sweet and they have a wider soundstage) without its disadvantage (less details and less dryer bass) and it is the same with solid states.

Everyone including me is looking for it and will never get it. Everyone who is telling you that you can get the best of valves and solid state is cheating himself in my eyes or telling BS. Even if it is pure class A solid state or hybrid stuff.

Every amp, speaker, source, etc. is a compromise.

Have you had such a combination (Trans. Pre and Valve Power Amp) and could you tell what‘s the result of such a Hybrid is? Maybe details of a Transistor and Bass of a Valve Amp?

I have had different hybrids from Croft and Pathos. Always valve pre with solid state amp (section) I can only speak for myself but I always hear the solid state grain and the loss of the valve magic.

If I would combine it I never would go for ss pre and valve power you get the disadvantage of both concepts.

For my money, an Octave integrated. Mostly tubes but from memory has a solid state gain stage in the pre.
In full disclosure I have an old V70 and it does the best of both enough for me.
So I am pretty sure that Dynaudio are the distributor for Octave in the states and pair their amps with their speaker range.

I use a hybrid pre and a hybrid power: Unison Research Unico Pre and DM. The DM is 150W mosfet with a valve input stage and I think it would drive your C1s nicely. Saying that, I'm surprised the Teddy amps don't, and they are one of the nicest pair of SS amps I've heard at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
I spoke to Yair from Teddy. The MB100 delivers 150W on 4Ohms. I am not unlucky but the bass could be tighter and darker. With the speakers before it was. Mostly on 8Ohms. The bass of the Copland CTA 408 is really well but not dry. And I loose too many details I like.

Last edited:
For my money, an Octave integrated. Mostly tubes but from memory has a solid state gain stage in the pre.
In full disclosure I have an old V70 and it does the best of both enough for me.
So I am pretty sure that Dynaudio are the distributor for Octave in the states and pair their amps with their speaker range.

Fought about a used Octave in the past but was not sure if I should try. I called my Hifi-Dealer for some SS Monoblocks to close the GAP in power and he offered me the Homedemo of the Copelands. It was the very first time I listened to Valve Amps. Really well built and the MC Phono Pre in the 408 is really good. But I loose too many likes if I go with it. Thought about the Copland CSA100 now. It‘s Hybrid with Valve Pre and SS Amp, integrated DAC and MM Phono Pre.

Last edited:
Yes it's a class d icepower dual mono amp. Extremely good . Played rodrigo y gabballa and the sense of presence was very palpable. I am pretty sure the c1 would love it. I have had 2 sets of dynaudio speakers

I am right now listening to 2 ice power asx 50 monoblocks which control my tannoys and vear on the warm side

Bel canto stuff lasts for many years , they are very well built and switches etc just feel well made . You can leave these on 24/7 If you want

I bought some Bel Canto 600 Monos recently and have been really impressed with them driving my Logans. Been to a fair few demos and shows over the years and one of the systems I remember being taken with was Logans paired with Copland. Another similar amp to the Bel Canto is Nord Acoustics.

We looked at your speakers years ago, ended up buying Kef Ref but they were a close 2nd, Kef had killer matching Centre and 206DS surrounds which swung it. Purely nostalgia the amps that we liked best with the C1 were Rega Exon 3.

I ended up buying an LSA Hybrid Integrated Amplifier to solve the challenge of driving my Dynaudio Confidence C2’s.

I got the standard version for a shade under a grand and then had it upgraded to statement spec. I love it and haven’t wondered if anything else would do a better job since, which always bothered me with other amps before it. I think it’s a great compromise for valve sound and solid state bass control / speed / authority.

I recommend it and more so the signature and statement versions if they’re available. If I were to go to another amp it’d be a significant financial jump so I’m probably done for as long as I’m trying to drive these speakers properly.

It’s a big amp that weighs a lot so not convenient to send, move, store in a hifi rack etc

Yes it's a class d icepower dual mono amp. Extremely good . Played rodrigo y gabballa and the sense of presence was very palpable. I am pretty sure the c1 would love it. I have had 2 sets of dynaudio speakers

I am right now listening to 2 ice power asx 50 monoblocks which control my tannoys and vear on the warm side

Bel canto stuff lasts for many years , they are very well built and switches etc just feel well made . You can leave these on 24/7 If you want

Sorry to say, but I was too late. The amp is sold.
There is a 2nd one in Black finish in the Bay. But the seller is sending to GB only. I am located in Germany. Have also no experiences with Class D. Is there any difference in sound compared with Class A/B?

I'm not personally a fan of any Class D I've heard, but I'm not sure I've heard enough to make any sweeping statements. I'd just urge a little caution and suggest listening first.

I really would second my recommendation of the Unison Research hybrids. When I was looking round for replacement speakers after parting with my ESL63s, Alain at Choice Hifi suggested C1s as speakers that might give me some of the 63's mid-range transparency and be a good match with the Unico Pre/DM. I've heard many other amps beside them and it's not easy to find the grip and scale along with good natural tonality. I've had better, such as the VTL ST150 power amp, but at a very high price.

Yeah, my concern would be how well class D coped with the low impedance swings typical of the C1’s.

Also would agree with Elephantears that the Unison research hybrids would be good, especially if he’s heard them first hand and can recommend on that basis.

C1’s are so wonderful when they’re amped well, but will torment you when under driven.

Yeah, my concern would be how well class D coped with the low impedance swings typical of the C1’s.
Which ones?
"As can be seen from fig.1, however, its impedance is relatively kind to the amplifier, though a dip to 4.3 ohms in the upper bass and a combination of 5.9 ohms magnitude and a –38° electrical phase angle suggest that tube amplifiers would work best with this speaker when used from their 4 ohm transformer taps."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dynaudio-confidence-c1-loudspeaker-measurements

I could have sworn they went under 4. Maybe I’m remembering and confusing them with my Contour s1.4’s.

Having gone through a bunch of amps to land on something decent I wouldn’t want to take a chance and would prefer a recommendation from someone who kept C1’s. Maybe Class D is much better than I realise, my only experience is in car audio, but knowing how fussy these speakers are and their potential I wouldn’t want to roll the dice on class D unless someone had heard them and could make a comparison I’d be able to understand.

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve got the TP amps like you and thinking of a change but not really knowing where to start. There was a review of the Parasound A21+ a couple of years ago on Positive Feedback that said that it had all the positives of the MB100s but with more power. It’s a big beast and for that reason it’s not for me and I’ve never heard it but wonder if it’s worth investigating.
Good luck, I'll be really interested to hear what you end up with.

advertisement

Back