advertisement

Where would you move to, cheap safe and sunny?

I´ve been living on Tenerife since 1972 and would love to move back to Derby tomorrow. Just shows.......

I'm off to Cape Town in September for the fourth time. I adore the place. If I end up single while still mobile and healthy, I'd happily spend six or eight months there.

I´ve been living on Tenerife since 1972 and would love to move back to Derby tomorrow. Just shows.......
Derby? DERBY? Jesus. I've done work in Derby, worked in Hull, Oldham, Grimsby, lived in some proper bloody dumps but anyone pining for Derby needs his bumps felt. Derbyshire, fair enough, but the town itself?

Cape Town out, wonderful as it is. Too many distractions... out of budget I fear.

Have been invited to tour Cape Town in March 2014 to play cricket (scorpions cc, stellenbosch; claremont cc, Constantia; Elgin CC; Groot Drakonstein, Franschoek) which sounds like I'd get a feel of the mountains and the wine. And the cricket.
So maybe a place from which I could spend 10 days holiday in Cape Town would work!

Madagsacar?
Like the sound of Tenerife...

Jomtien, Thailand. Tie in visa runs with breaks in Vietnam/Cambodia/etc and it's got everything incuding b&b with wifi, gym and sea view for well within budget.

Haha I lived there for 5 years. House got turned over twice.

Not humid? Well avoid May to November and maybe.

Cape Town out, wonderful as it is. Too many distractions... out of budget I fear.

Have been invited to tour Cape Town in March 2014 to play cricket (scorpions cc, stellenbosch; claremont cc, Constantia; Elgin CC; Groot Drakonstein, Franschoek) which sounds like I'd get a feel of the mountains and the wine. And the cricket.
So maybe a place from which I could spend 10 days holiday in Cape Town would work!

Madagsacar?
Like the sound of Tenerife...
Cape Town is great. You can live cheaply on the basis that some things are priced with ZAR value in mind but then other things (eg. nice accommodation) are essentially priced with a US Dollah value in mind.

Cape Town is great. You can live cheaply on the basis that some things are priced with ZAR value in mind but then other things (eg. nice accommodation) are essentially priced with a US Dollah value in mind.

Seem to remember a big property rush a few years back. It was possible to buy properties to rent out to tourists/business quite cheaply. Maybe it made the prices rise though - How are prices there now (vs. UK etc.)?

Derby? DERBY? Jesus. I've done work in Derby, worked in Hull, Oldham, Grimsby, lived in some proper bloody dumps but anyone pining for Derby needs his bumps felt. Derbyshire, fair enough, but the town itself?

ISTR a pub in Derby circa 1970/71 called The Irongates. They sold cheap food and Schnapps. I loved it.

Mull

I suspect I'd be looking at the less expensive bits of southern France. Mrs Mull is pretty good on the French and I still have my 1965 O Level Franglais.

We wouldn't starve.

Mull

I suspect I'd be looking at the less expensive bits of southern France. Mrs Mull is pretty good on the French and I still have my 1965 O Level Franglais.

We wouldn't starve.

Mull

Yeah seen what would pass as castles there for the same price as my one bed house here in UK :eek:

I may go there too when I retire :)

We wouldn't starve.

Mull

But you will be sneered at every time you attempt the language... It's like wiping your arse with silk.

South Goa, cheap to live, good weather at that time of year, easy 6 month visa, cheap internal flights to have a mooch about. Wouldn't worry too much over concerns regarding point 8, think of it as India lite.

I spend most winters there.

Colin

But you will be sneered at every time you attempt the language... It's like wiping your arse with silk.

That's not been my experience in northern France/Brittany. They usually seem to appreciate the effort.

Darn Sarf, around Nice etc., they seem to listen intently and patiently to your efforts and then reply in perfect English.
Mull

Yeah I was joking I just wanted to use the Matrix quote

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back