advertisement

Where would you move to, cheap safe and sunny?

Porto Santo - an island near Madiera (regular ferries/planes), temperate climate, terrific beach, excellent golf course (designed by Seve Ballesteros), free wi-fi in public areas, English widely spoken.

I kept that back for requirement 7! Anywho its all on the website that I linked.

Cheers,

DV

Over the years I have been to the Canaries/Fuerteventura/Landofgrotty, the Balearics/Majorca/Menorca many of the major Greek islands and Portugal/Lisbon oh and throw in Gibralta and would recommend Madeira over all of them especially for a long stay. There are few tourists compared to the population so you see the island as it is.

However do research on the web to see if its your cup of tea.

Cheers,

DV

Over the years I have been to the Canaries/Fuerteventura/Landofgrotty, the Balearics/Majorca/Menorca many of the major Greek islands and Portugal/Lisbon oh and throw in Gibralta and would recommend Madeira over all of them especially for a long stay. There are few tourists compared to the population so you see the island as it is.

However do research on the web to see if its your cup of tea.

Cheers,

DV

Didn't I mention Gibraltar :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure about Portugal either. IME not many Portuguese people speak English, at least not outside major tourist areas. Be better off in Spain for English speakers?

I think you'll find more locals speaking English in the Algarve than any of the Spanish costas. And this includes outside the tourist areas,

Canary Islands temperate climate, no VAT, nice people, nice.

I think you'll find the Spanish equivalent of VAT (called IVA) is levied at 5% in the Canary Islands. It's sometimes called IGIC, but it amounts to the same thing.

Thanks for all this.
The islands are winning out.

Canaries: am surprised it is possible to have a low cost stay in a place like Tenerife though?? (There's someone I wouldn't mind dropping in on unexpectedly in Playa Blanca).

There was not much wrong with UK if you could appreciate the benefits (variety is the spice of life ;) of the changing seasons). It seems to be the wrong approach to move because you don't like it here - why not try to make this country more acceptable? All this depends on being able to accept the seasonal variations of course - winter does get increasingly less pleasant as you get older, speaking personally :( .
Dave.

For Oct-Mar I would recommend Cape Town. You can extend the initial 3 month visa once provided you do it 30 days before expiry of first visa (pls check yourself !). I would find a small island a bit claustrophobic I think. Sensible security precautions apply....

There's a full-time project that will take me 6 months or so, Oct - March.

I'm looking for somewhere:
1/ I can live comfortably on £700-900 a month including rent and food
2/ sunny, not humid
3/ Electricity for a laptop / twice weekly internet access
4/ Safe - laptop unlikely to be stolen...
5/ not isolated - ie easy to get talking to people. (Last time I did this was on a Hebridean island and 3 months in I was talking to seals...). I speak no languages so will need to rely on English.
6/ easy exercise (sea, pool, beach?).
7/ Good places to visit within a few day's travel if I want a break.
8/ unlikely to come back to UK needing to visit Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

Ideas gratefully received!

Hmmm... Oct to Mar and sunny... Southern Hemisphere has summer in that period as opposed to winter in the Northern Hemisphere...

Time to join the birds on their journey Southward?

Cape Town?

1) Might be a bit tight on the budget, but there are places...
2) Sunny season (Cape Town is a winter rainfall area)
3) Electrical supply is no problem
4) Security fine
5) People to talk to? No problem - plenty available of many backgrounds
6) Exercise? Plenty! Beaches, mountains to climb, etc.
7) Places to visit - plenty within 1 hour drive plus wine route, garden route, etc
8) Medical expertise abounds (Groote Schuur Hospital, etc)

Here's an appetizer:

cape-town-city.jpg

:)

Hmmm... Oct to Mar and sunny... Southern Hemisphere has summer in that period as opposed to winter in the Northern Hemisphere...

Time to join the birds on their journey Southward?

Cape Town?

1) Might be a bit tight on the budget, but there are places...
2) Sunny season (Cape Town is a winter rainfall area)
3) Electrical supply is no problem
4) Security fine
5) People to talk to? No problem - plenty available of many backgrounds
6) Exercise? Plenty! Beaches, mountains to climb, etc.
7) Places to visit - plenty within 1 hour drive plus wine route, garden route, etc
8) Medical expertise abounds (Groote Schuur Hospital, etc)

Here's an appetizer:

cape-town-city.jpg

:)

Job done :)

Don't they do some nice wines too? (Appetizer - see how I did that?) :D

Fails requirement 3. I got to the airport paid the taxi driver got a receipt stepped outside and he immediately drove off with all my belongings. Also its a 10 hour flight so you won't be nipping across to the UK for a weekend.

Cheers,

DV

Fails requirement 3. I got to the airport paid the taxi driver got a receipt stepped outside and he immediately drove off with all my belongings. Also its a 10 hour flight so you won't be nipping across to the UK for a weekend.

Cheers,

DV

How does that relate to electricity supply (requirement 3)? :p
Maybe you meant requirement 4 - not getting yer laptop nicked ?;)

Now we gotta start all over again :rolleyes:

Cheers,

DV

Anyone who pays a taxi driver before getting his luggage out of the boot probably deserves to lose it... At any airport, anywhere... :)

As for popping back to the UK in winter - who would want to, when there are beaches like this where bathers get dressed up in style:

Best_beaches_in_Cape_Town.jpg

:and wine estates:

Boschendal-1.jpg

etc...

advertisement

Back