advertisement

Where would you move to, cheap safe and sunny?

Thanks for the tip, I notice that things have moved on a bit from Dragon Naturally Speaking as has the Google translation services. I have now started using Google Translate for those sites that sometime hold articles and information in a language I have a bit of trouble mastering.

Thanks again.

Quite scary how good things have got recently but that's exponential progress for you. Cant see professional translators lasting much longer.

Quite scary how good things have got recently but that's exponential progress for you. Cant see professional translators lasting much longer.

A chat between authors and translators entitled The art and craft of translating fiction
Novelist Naomi Alderman reports on the art of translating fiction, with writers Ian McEwan, A S Byatt, Ali Smith and David Baddiel.

Every novelist dreams of being translated into dozens of foreign languages, but the relationship between author and translator can be fraught. If it goes right, it can lead to close friendship - but what happens when it goes wrong? And is a translation ultimately closer to being an original work than we might think?

Naomi also joins three professionals for a translation slam. Adriana Hunter, Daniel Hahn and Frank Wynne discuss their different English versions of paragraphs from the French novel Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037v4gb

Chaps

A friend of mine bought a villa in Greece early last year and he says the market is picking up fast. Might be worth diving in if you fancy Greek dancing and smashing plates etc.

Spain is still slowly dropping, so hold back.

Mick

Chaps

A friend of mine bought a villa in Greece early last year and he says the market is picking up fast. Might be worth diving in if you fancy Greek dancing and smashing plates etc.

Spain is still slowly dropping, so hold back.

Mick

Well he would wouldn't he? Hmmm now where have I heard that before?

Personally I wouldn't trust any Southern Europe government not to screw tax and other ways of stealing money from none locals. Remember Spain taking land from foreign owners and then making them pay to have it developed into housing for locals? And now Greece turning an 'emergency' additional housing tax into something more permanent and collecting it on the electricity bill....... Greece has its arm twisted financially up its back and I bet none locals will get screwed.

Renting is a lot safer. However if you are young, have the cash, can afford to wait a few decades it might be worth a gamble.

I'm putting my pad in St Ives up for sale as we now only use it once a year since the kids have grown up. Hopefully we can rent it back from time to time. The money can work harder and also get less hassle from the IR.

Cheers,

DV

The money can work harder and also get less hassle from the IR.

Cheers,

DV

Given the economic policy prevailing at the moment , you may find that your money is invested in a BTL scheme that includes your current property. You may be better cutting out the middleman, YMMV.

advertisement

Back