advertisement

Where do you stand on nuclear power (fission)?

Uranium 233 is a by product of thorium reactors and its possible to make fission bombs from it.
Possible, but not very easy or practical. Plutonium is easy to separate chemically and forms the bizarre compressible alloy with gallium, which allows very compact bomb cores

Some interesting data on the UKs use of nuclear power here:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...file/789655/Nuclear_electricity_in_the_UK.pdf

Would be interesting to see what the forecasted requirement for electricity is, especially if/when there's a major shift to electric vehicles.

47993423713_c33cb63788_c.jpg

The decommissioning of Trawsfynned is expected to take 100 years...
It may do. The decommissioning of a local malt kiln took 30 years. On that basis 100 years for a nuclear reactor isn't that much of a deal. How long is it going to take to put a new roof on Notre Dame? I'm 52, I'm prepared to bet that there will be scaffolding up there after I'm dead.

An article I read recently estimated the cost of supplying the world's energy requirement with 100% renewable energy at around 130 trillion. Cost of the same with nuclear is around 15 trillion.

If governments followed logic instead of opinions, a lot more money would be put into fusion research - it's been chronically underfunded for years. World energy requirements could then be supplied for a fraction of the cost of renewables.

Possible, but not very easy or practical. Plutonium is easy to separate chemically and forms the bizarre compressible alloy with gallium, which allows very compact bomb cores

It’s technically difficult whatever method is used, uranium is very difficult to separate, easy to make a device, plutonium is easy to separate very difficult to make a device. Plutonium is alloyed with gallium because it’s unstable and becomes friable in its pure form after a few months, the compressibility doesn’t change much.

For the UK, I think tidal energy is the way to go, but yep, I’d take nuclear over coal or gas.
Tidal is promising, but expensive, and the corrosive seawater tends to destroy the plant after not very many years. Lagoons are probably less ecologically harmful than barrages, but barrages have more generating potential. So not without its challenges.

For the UK, I think tidal energy is the way to go, but yep, I’d take nuclear over coal or gas.

In addition to the tech and corrosive seawater issues, you need quite a large tidal range to make a go of it, so you have enough throughput at enough force for long enough to create decent power. And the few places this is possible (mostly west coast) all seem to be areas of outstanding natural beauty. Except Liverpool. So they might go for a lagoon or a barrage.

I'm currently working in Boston UK, the tidal range of The Wash is large. 3-4 m, easy. They already have a barrier, but it keeps the water off the reclaimed land so they can't just open the taps. The other snag is that there's no population here to use the power.

Impressive. Boston today was 5.3m. High tide was half an hour ago. I'm going for a look. Gets me out, I'll take the bike out too.

Highest ever tidal range in Boston is just over 4m. (max-min) = range on any given day.

There are some guys who want to build a lagoon on the Humber to create a permanent high water for riverside property in Hull, increase the size of ships that visit Hull port, re-route the A63/A1033 along the side of the lagoon and away from the city to improve road access to the port. Even they said that power generation couldn't be justified as part of the project.

advertisement

Back