advertisement

Where do you stand on nuclear power (fission)?

Back when Tony had his "Nuclear Power? No Thanks" sticker I was carrying out inspection on new nuclear installations

I thought I recognised that name didn't you sign off an inspection report for Windscale in 57 with a comment of "slightly warm to the touch but nothing to worry about"

My understanding is that green energy sources have made progress at an unexpected speed in the last years. Not 5 years ago I read green energy would only EVER supply a small fraction of UK electricity needs, but it's already approaching half today. That's been a shock.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal/electricity-generation-mix-quarter-and-fuel-source-gb

The storage problem will need to be addressed for much more progress to be made, but I feel more positive about things now than I have for a while.

Nobody I've talked to wants a nuclear reactor or its waste storage near their home. I think there's no need to explain why.

You've all gone nuts (well, apart from Bob McC & a couple of others)... & I know the arguments for & against.

Germany didn't make the decision to withdraw from nuclear lightly.

Just watching 'Chernobyl', Episode 4 on Atlantic.

Truly, truly grim and yet I think it's the only viable option as things stand.

The important thing is to go with the most up-to-date options when constructing new power stations rather than accepting older technology 'buy two get one free' done through shady behind scene deals to further trade relationships.

You've all gone nuts (well, apart from Bob McC & a couple of others)... & I know the arguments for & against.

Indeed, and Germany has a significant Green Party presence, which goes to my post on the other thread -ie, I am very supportive of Green Party policies, except for their stance on nuclear power.

My understanding is that green energy sources have made progress at an unexpected speed in the last years. Not 5 years ago I read green energy would only EVER supply a small fraction of UK electricity needs, but it's already approaching half today. That's been a shock.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal/electricity-generation-mix-quarter-and-fuel-source-gb

The storage problem will need to be addressed for much more progress to be made, but I feel more positive about things now than I have for a while.

Nobody I've talked to wants a nuclear reactor or its waste storage near their home. I think there's no need to explain why.

Cav wants one.

The fact that green technology has accelerated so fast and new ideas are constantly brewing makes me think against new nuclear technology. Couple that with a constant stream of selfish, incompetent government in my life only makes me think the authorities will take their foot off the green journey accelerator if we knock up a couple of nuclear plants in the meantime.

How much is a nuclear plant anyway

Alternatively, new nuclear (Thorium or SMR) tech could put U.K. back in the forefront of nuclear technology development. We’re going to need some new stuff to bring to market, post-Brexit.

Sometimes it is both not sunny and not windy. Look at the yearly graphs...

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

(If you are unable to read graphs, please feel free to dismiss me as an "expert")

Also in the winter strong daylight is quite sort in duration. So we need storage and we haven't got it. Lagoons store. Batteries store. Hydro stores. Energy conversion can store (use peaks of electricity to make hydrogen for example). But the technology to store isn't good enough for today, and we will need to generate a lot more energy cleanly to replace all that petroleum we are burning. A lot more. So we will need a shedload of storage.

So do you want to bet on technology solving the problem(s) of storage of peaks, and actually hope that we can generate enough renewables - or should we maybe invest in some new nuclear?

Indeed. Baseload demand is an issue for renewables, and if we are to move to electric cars (as I think we should) then baseload generation, especially overnight, is going to be crucial.

One possibility which I quite like is your house stores. Your TV, cooker, computer, lights, hi-fi all store - like your laptop and phone does now, and you have a house battery and if you have a car that can be connected up as well. And an intelligent distribution program will connect and storage energy in these place when there is a surplus based on a hierarchy of demand (babies incubators, fire engines.. ..fairground rides, vibrators - exact order can be crowdsourced later) and by considering that John Smith leaves for work at 0600 and Peter Brown at 0900.

We still need better tech, batteries, more rare earth find or different tech etc.

I'm generally in favour of nuclear.

One thing to watch when the 'green' generation stats are thrown around though...

When they state say 30% of the UK's energy was green generated on a particular day, the 30% of traditional carbon based energy sources haven't just been turned off like a light switch.

Because green energy supply varies so quickly they just throttle back the carbon based generation. That means it isn't always operating in its most efficient zone. But they don't report that part.

I've heard that there isn't sufficient uranium to scale nuclear power to the point where it would make a meaningful contribution to displacing fossil fuels, so it's a dead end: better to put the money elsewhere, in something that is scaleable. I had this explained to me by someone who generally knows what she's talking about on energy matters and I just took her word for it, to be honest. But Google backs her up and I'm surprised no-one's at least mentioned it here.

Is that the Germany that burns lignite?

The waste does not need to be near to anyone's home.

Cav wants one.

The fact that green technology has accelerated so fast and new ideas are constantly brewing makes me think against new nuclear technology. Couple that with a constant stream of selfish, incompetent government in my life only makes me think the authorities will take their foot off the green journey accelerator if we knock up a couple of nuclear plants in the meantime.

How much is a nuclear plant anyway
Every nuclear - powered sub has one so they can't be very expensive.

I've heard that there isn't sufficient uranium to scale nuclear power to the point where it would make a meaningful contribution to displacing fossil fuels, so it's a dead end: better to put the money elsewhere, in something that is scaleable. I had this explained to me by someone who generally knows what she's talking about on energy matters and I just took her word for it, to be honest. But Google backs her up and I'm surprised no-one's at least mentioned it here.
Scientific American say 200 years worth still commercially viable and with enrichment and breeder technology that could be extended by at least 30%.

I think there are adequate reserves, but would advocate development of (more plentiful and less problematic) Thorium in any event. But also, there are viable technologies to exploit existing high level waste as fuel, which would surely be a win-win.

Scientific American say 200 years worth still commercially viable and with enrichment and breeder technology that could be extended by at least 30%.
I think there are adequate reserves, but would advocate development of (more plentiful and less problematic) Thorium in any event. But also, there are viable technologies to exploit existing high level waste as fuel, which would surely be a win-win.

I don't know...Sounds unicorny!

advertisement

Back