advertisement

Where do I start with Mogwai?

Marmite-

Check out The For Carnation. I have their s/t album, recommended by Eric L, and it's great. Here's how Amazon describes them:

"The For Carnation's membership is entwined--overtly or by influence--with probably every postrock band in the U.S. Hailing from Chicago and Louisville, Kentucky--two improbably creative bastions for the slow-mo postrock sound tweakers--the quintet plays deliberately glacial songs that at their most assertive press forward via drummer Scott Goodfriend's big thwacking drive."

As far as Mogwai go, try Ten Rapid, which is a bit perkier.

Another vote for Spiderland which really is the dogs bollocks. In fact it's almost on a par with Big Black.

Set me on Fire

Well Happy Songs dropped onto the mat the other day, and I must say it confounded my preconceptions. Far more in the mould of Mono, (which i like anyway) than I thought it would be. Not sure what I was expecting, in my head i had them pictured as a kind of Kyuss type band... which is plain wrong isn't it.

It's piqued my interest anyway, I'm going to do the sensible thing and go for Government Commissions and Young Team next...

BTW, Blahdvd.com are donating 10p to Oxfam for every CD purchased. Doesn't sound a lot, but it all adds up. Always found them to be good on prices and delivery.

Cheers for all the suggestions
kev.

Band of Susans were pretty good, must dig em out now.

Marmite, Glenn Branca should work for you too. There's a sample available at Epitonic to give you an idea (it's a pretty early piece, his later guitar symphonies feature very big bands and huge walls of sound).

If anyone is going to check Branca out I suggest they start with Symphony #6 (Devil Choirs At The Gates Of Heaven) on Blast First/Mute. I'm not sure but I think you can buy direct from them.

Interesting fact about Branca (which may be a myth or I might have made it up myself, got no idea) is that in his earlier days he used to invite the audience to bring their guitars along to join in, but he stopped that when talentless plebs who couldn't play turned up instead.
If anyone knows about this please tell.

Just had an e mail forom 101cd to say that there's a sale on of the Mogwai back catalogue - I can't think of many better ways of spending £50.

Glenda

First time back on this forum for, ohh, I haven't a clue (a year or two, maybe) and the first thread I read is about Mogwai.

One of the best gigs (up there with the Pixies in Manchester last year) I have been to was to see Mogwai play - supported by the For Carnation - in the upstairs room at the Riverside Club in Newcastle in '98 or '99. Tiny venue, mono PA and the most envelpoing sound that could be produced by a band a couple of feet away.

Some of the recommendations (Mono, etc) look good too.

It's nice to be back.

dan - Just go, you know it makes sense. You can always get some ear plugs ;-)

Tom - If you've been gone that long, what have you been listening to? Always good to have some more recommendations.

Dan - not sure I'd ever countenance risking tinnitus....

Rod - good question. A lot of pop music (I guess Arctic Monkeys would be the most recent example). Work (and tinnitus (see above) - it seems to have worsenend in the last 12 months) has restricted time for music listening somewhat. This is something I am doing my best to redress - hence the reappearence here.

Recent interesting purchases have been The Dirtbombs "Ultrglide in Black", Delia Gonzales & Gavin Russom "The Days of Mars" and Gravenhurst "Fires in Distant Buildings". All different; all good.

Someone has just recommended Chris Bowak, the signer from Codeine.

...but your ears will be ok. You never mentioned that you were after saving your organs. Are you going to donate them?

dan m said:
Will that cut it? I imagined them to be internal-organ-liquifying-loud.

pretty much, its no fun if your not pinned to the back wall with every bass note. :)

Save the ticket price and just hang out outside the venue during the show. The sound will be best there. Still uncomfortably loud, but survivable.

No, you need to get a ticket and a large bucket to carry your soon-to-be-liquefied internals home in...

(they are VERY good live, although a touch on the loud side)

I saw em last month at the ICA in London playing Mr Beast. You couldn't find a bigger bunch of shoegazers if you tried, they haven't got a grain of charisma between them but it doesn't matter because the music does so much.
Volume wise they played one notch below unbearable.

I thought Stuart is a pretty nice guy when I met him in some toilets (a chance meeting, we didn't plan to meet there:) ). He was alright on stage too.

advertisement

Back