advertisement

Where do I start with Mogwai?

Marmite

tea jenny
Mogwai are one of those bands that I've always heard mentioned (sometimes in reverent tones) but I can't ever recall hearing anything by them. A shocking admission I know.

So where do I begin? Any pointers guys?

cheers kev.

I got to like them fairly recently, Happy Songs for Happy People is my favourite so far. It has to be said that a lot of their tracks follow the same pattern, slow build up to climactic grinding crisis then fade away... but a lot of arresting melancholy on the way.
I'm worried if I listen too often it won't be so good.

"I'm worried if I listen too often it won't be so good."

Impossible.

I'd start with the Government Sessions, then if you like that and your windows/foundations survive go to the beginning and get them in order of release.

I'd agree that Happy Songs.. is a good place to start. That said, this years Government CommissionsBBC sessions 96-2003, is blindingly good. If you don't like this, you're unlikely to 'get' the rest.

edit - beaten to the punch by alex..

Young Team is the place to start, as it has their best track, "Mogwai Fear Satan". The rest is similar, but not as good.

-- Ian

Marmite said:
Mogwai are one of those bands that I've always heard mentioned (sometimes in reverent tones) but I can't ever recall hearing anything by them. A shocking admission I know.

More shocking admission; who?

Irreverent Tones

Thanks guys, as usual I want to buy all of them now! However -

alanbeeb said:
...climactic grinding crisis... ...arresting melancholy...

sounds like the soundtrack to my life, so gets my vote & is on order from Blahdvd.com.. more to follow if it hits the spot. Cheers again.

if you haven't already, check out some Low and Songs:Ohia (jason molina). You may well like them if you're into the moody side of things. (The Lioness by songs ohia is particularly good imho)

Rock Action was the first one I actually got round to buying, so I really like that one, and CODY is probably also my fave.

Just buy them all, is my reasoned response.

Oh, and I agree with the "buy Spiderland" movement that's going round. Makes sense.

Tweez is better than Spiderland, so ner ner ner. And the 2 track EP is better than either, so double ner ner ner. But it's all really good, so I retract one ner ner ner.

-- Ian

So, my scorecard reads: SSB - one ner ner ner solidly in the general direction of the Slint underpriveleged.

Rebuttal, gentlemen?

Rock Action is the only Mogwai album I've got and I haven't bothered buying anymore. Not an awful record, just really ordinary.

Of course you should get Slint, but y'know, there are other things out there. How about Die Donnergötter by Rhys Chatham? The side long title track is a written piece for 6 guitars, bass and drums. RC conducts... It really, really rocks.

kasperhauser said:
So, my scorecard reads: SSB - one ner ner ner solidly in the general direction of the Slint underpriveleged.

Rebuttal, gentlemen?

SSB doesn't really prefer Tweez, he just says it to be different.

sideshowbob said:
Tweez is better than Spiderland, so ner ner ner. And the 2 track EP is better than either, so double ner ner ner. But it's all really good, so I retract one ner ner ner.

-- Ian

I disagree on both counts so :p but they're all blinding. The EP certainly has the best cover but spiderland has the best story surrounding its writing and recording.

advertisement

Back