advertisement

Where do I start with Mogwai?

space cadet said:
SSB doesn't really prefer Tweez, he just says it to be different.

Oh yes I do. It was the first Slint I heard, and I still think it's the best of the 2 LPs. So a double ner ner ner to you.

-- Ian

Right Jim, so that's a double ner ner ner to Anex. Quite a display - clearly SSB is escalating his strategy. I'm sensing yet another blinding victory in the offing for this young master.

Anex seems to be arguing with the ref now and... yes... there's the red card. Doubtless we'll see this one on review.

space cadet said:
Rock Action is the only Mogwai album I've got and I haven't bothered buying anymore. Not an awful record, just really ordinary.

I got Rock Action last week.... have to say it doesn't impress me nearly as much as Happy Songs For Happy People and it might have put me off if it had been the first of their albums I had heard.

What's this Spiderland thing then? Is that a band or an album?

Nah Tweez is genius, has one of my fav guitar solos ever but it never made me cry, washer (a track on Spiderland)ndoes it for me everytime, probably my fav use of distortion ever :) And I've got Albini on my side so put that in your pipe :D

alanbeeb said:
Is that a band or an album?

"Spiderland" is probably Slint's most "popular" album, but everything they put out is very good. Like ssb, I prefer the s/t EP, especially track #2 which totally *rocks*.

Anex said:
washer (a track on Spiderland)ndoes it for me everytime
I like "Good Morning, Captain" lots and lots.

Yikes!, Three pages!

This is the most poular Mogwai have ever been.

For what its worth, my favourite is 'Stanley Kubrick'. Nicely understated. You really gotta se 'em live though.

sideshowbob said:
Oh yes I do. It was the first Slint I heard, and I still think it's the best of the 2 LPs. So a double ner ner ner to you.

-- Ian

DOUBLE NER NER NERs!!!

This can only be retaliated by a huge, unbeatable
THHHBBHHBTTHHHBTH!!!!

So there!

(You're right about the ep though)

So, should I flog Rock Action and buy another one then?

space cadet said:
So, should I flog Rock Action and buy another one then?

Yes, the correct answer is to buy Young Team. I've had 'em all and it's the only one I kept. And I only listen to one track on it, "Mogwai Fear Satan". It's a long track though.

-- Ian

AlexG said:
And get some Mono too.

I've got "Walking Cloud & Deep red...etc", it was that and The Red Sparowes "At the Soundless Dawn" which kind of led me to wanting to explore Mogwai. Although I suspect the Red Sparowes are up their own arses a bit.

I never got into Slint at the time, but the time might be now - I'm familiar with Spiderland though, and Codeine/Idaho. I think it's more the droning/churning/climatic guitars end of the scale that I'm after rather than the introspective stuff.

I've been playing Electrelane's first record a lot recently too, plus Peng!-era Stereolab, & Band of Susans, so perhaps this is the start of the Krautrock vortex sucking me in... expect more stupid questions and cries for help from me in the future.

cheers kev.

Marmite said:
I think it's more the droning/churning/climatic guitars end of the scale that I'm after rather than the introspective stuff.

I say again Die Donnergötter!

Taken aboard Ian, although I fear that starship Mogwai has left this space cadet for good. There's just so much more interesting stuff out there.

space cadet said:
There's just so much more interesting stuff out there.

This is almost certainly true. Check out some of the CDs here (follow the shop link), I've got a couple of them and they're both really excellent, I think some of this'll be up your street.

Edit: Have you got any Glenn Branca? If not, definitely worth trying since you like Chatham.

-- Ian

space cadet said:

That sounds like it might be just the thing. Found this here and discovered that Robert Poss (Band of Susans) was involved in it. I'm going to seek it out.

This thread might be veering off the Mogwai topic now, but keep suggesting good stuff. My "reward" for giving up smoking at the start of the year is a funding increase for music, so knowing that there's so many records I would like increases my willpower. Y'all are saving my health, if not my ears.

Band of Susans were pretty good, must dig em out now.

Marmite, Glenn Branca should work for you too. There's a sample available at Epitonic to give you an idea (it's a pretty early piece, his later guitar symphonies feature very big bands and huge walls of sound).

-- Ian

advertisement

Back