advertisement

When I went on naim forum šŸ˜‚

Iā€™ve just been on the naim site, and just been reading about not using cables under a certain length because the kit doesnā€™t like it. People suggested lengths of 5m and over etcā€¦is this a real thing????

Iā€™ve just been on the naim site, and just been reading about not using cables under a certain length because the kit doesnā€™t like it. People suggested lengths of 5m and over etcā€¦is this a real thing????

Naim used to recommend a minimum length of 3.5m with NACA5 cable as this gives the correct minimum inductance load for the output stage, but that was back in olive days... no idea about the more modern kit.

I love reading the naim forum absolute comedy! Some obsessive characters over there with switches, cable dressing, power supplies etc, then you see the system pictures thread and so many of the systems are compromised in set up itā€™s unbelievable! No amount of cable twiddling will account for a poor room and speaker positioning.

The thing I find the most amusing, is that Richard Dane goes by the title of ā€œLeaderā€. It makes it sound like they are on an expedition.
I saw that too and wondered about the thought behind, "You know, what title should I give myself?"

I then wondered, whimsically whether members should have the title of disciples... :)

I grew out of Naim and the Naim forum a long, long time ago.
Which reminds me, still have a 32.5 / Hicap/110 second set which hasn't been switched on for 5 years. Must flog sometime.

I love reading the naim forum absolute comedy! Some absolute obsessive characters over there with switches, cable dressing, power supplies etc, then you see the system pictures thread and so many of the systems are compromised in set up itā€™s unbelievable! No amount of cable twiddling will account for a poor room and speaker positioning.
That could be addressed to any Hi-Fi forum.

Why are so many people desperate to save Naim/Linn fans from themselves. Itā€™s a hobby, let people enjoy it.

Iā€™ve heard the new 200 Classic Series, Iā€™d be delighted if someone gave me a set, I certainly wouldnā€™t be looking to sell it.

Cheers BB

Could there be more of a first world problem than 5 pages on a forum complaining and mickey taking another forum in something as niche as hifi. Thatā€™s a statement not a question by the way. Better still, most of the complainants are still members of said forum even when some have openly said theyā€™re not. Itā€™s not hard to check so I did. Many are active and one person on this thread, you guessed, is on there and can be seen to have been complaining aboutā€¦ here. A little self-awareness required perhaps. Again, a statement not a question.

Every forum has a different purpose and ethos but, speaking as an ex moderator of two forums, itā€™s a thankless task. When people are reduced to querying what a volunteer forum moderator calls themselves thatā€™s desperately sad stuff. If you like the products or own them then you or may not use or need their forum. The tone and moderation will not suit all. The membership has its quirks as does all human life. Have you read this forum?

I grew out of Naim and the Naim forum a long, long time ago.
Which reminds me, still have a 32.5 / Hicap/110 second set which hasn't been switched on for 5 years. Must flog sometime.
Nice set up that, if itā€™s in good nick youā€™ll get really good money for it. I would get it sold if youā€™re not going to use it.

That could be addressed to any Hi-Fi forum.

Why are so many people desperate to save Naim/Linn fans from themselves. Itā€™s a hobby, let people enjoy it.

Iā€™ve heard the new 200 Classic Series, Iā€™d be delighted if someone gave me a set, I certainly wouldnā€™t be looking to sell it.

Cheers BB
The old saying ā€˜people in glass housesā€™, on here the obsession is not limited to just naim but the essential traits are the same. We are no better in our own way.

When I had naim (briefly) I really enjoyed it, but got frustrated with the naim forumites answering every question with "upgrade"/"add power supply".
Reading that reminded me instantly of another current thread on this forum.

If a streamer/server/dac/amp/etc. power supply is upgradable, then it is quite likely to make an improvement, so those Naimites were probably right (or at least most of the time IMO). Others on this forum have modified their higher end gear to enable a better external power supplies (Chord Dave mods for example). I have added power supplies to Antipodes and previous Naim's with notable gains.

Non-Naim power supplies for Naim are more likely to be talked about on PFM though, as that is the one topic not able to be discussed on their site.

I used to enjoy the Naim forum back in the day although it was a constant source of pressure to upgrade (and I was easily led back in those days). After ending up with an active Naim system with 8 different bits of hardware plus Naim speakers (with only the Credo speakers having surprised from my initial 92/90/Credo setup) I eventually rebelled against that and replaced the lot with a Krell integrated amp and some Wilson Benesch standmounters.

I used to enjoy the Naim forum back in the day although it was a constant source of pressure to upgrade (and I was easily led back in those days). After ending up with an active Naim system with 8 different bits of hardware plus Naim speakers (with only the Credo speakers having surprised from my initial 92/90/Credo setup) I eventually rebelled against that and replaced the lot with a Krell integrated amp and some Wilson Benesch standmounters.
Krell is in different league. Wonderful gas guzzling amps.

And this as I often say is the whole point of the Naim forum. If people don't like it they're free to leave. I left a few years back although I do sometimes have a sneaky look. Seems like a nice forum to me and dare I say it without the politics any more a nicer place than this?

Runs away and hides.............

And this as I often say is the whole point of the Naim forum. If people don't like it they're free to leave. I left a few years back although I do sometimes have a sneaky look. Seems like a nice forum to me and dare I say it without the politics any more a nicer place than this?

Runs away and hides.............
This forum has its quirks and jerks like any other but its moderation is generally light handed and fair.

I might go back and have another look although I already know that the answer to my pre-amp question there will be 52...

His is not an easy job and heā€™ll probably be very amused by your comment. He is also an avid contributor of this very forum.šŸ˜Ž

Never realised that he posted here.

Iā€™m pretty sure there are times heā€™d like to use some of the language allowed here dealing with some of the ā€œhow dare Naimā€ types over there. Mind you Iā€™ve fallen foul a few times too, usually caused by my posts being flagged by some of the aforementioned cohort with a sense of entitlement.

There are a surprising number of regular posters who donā€™t own Naim products. I think for many it is their safe space on the internet and there is currently a very supportive thread on depression etc. which opened my eyes a bit.

The thing is all the criticism is correct as well as all positive said about it being correct. Itā€™s full of damn humans with all their strengths and flaws.

.sjb

I used to own a decent Naim set up and enjoyed it at the time but I do think that the vfm just isnā€™t there anymore. I also think the older kit was better.
Havenā€™t heard any of the newest kit. I had a full black box set up with an olive nap250. I also had a black 250 at home for a good while, thought it was a great amp, a bit more rounded.

The new kit pricing is about on a par with equivalent Linn DSM. VFM is always in the eye of the beholder. I think naim are entitled to charge a premium for their products. No one has to buy them.

advertisement

Back