advertisement

When I went on naim forum šŸ˜‚

Increased turnover, higher R&D spend, more profit... what else are you after? From a business perspective they are doing very well. They also have a product range that appeals to what younger discerning and fairly wealthy people want these days i.e. all in one systems and integrated A/V while keeping a nod to the old separates philosophy... best of luck to them.

I'm not after anything and yes from a capitalist business perspective increased profitability is regarded as successful, but it just means increased profitability, it doesn't speak anything of sustainability, ethics, quality or longevity.

I've no dog in this fight and I'm merely playing devils advocate.

I'm not after anything and yes from a capitalist business perspective increased profitability is regarded as successful, but it just means increased profitability, it doesn't speak anything of sustainability, ethics, quality or longevity.

I've no dog in this fight and I'm merely playing devils advocate.
Well, they're still here, countless others aren't. Their products are very well made and most can still be serviced, as such they exhibit arguably the most robust second-hand prices on the market. They still have the majority of their workforce in Salisbury and keep much of their manufacturing local. Devil's advocate maybe, but I still ask what else do you want? Most at this juncture go all misty-eyed and say they want it to go back to the days when Julian ran it... trouble is if that were the case they'd be out of business by now as times have changed... and many of the companies that did not move with the times who were competitors of or complimenters to Naim have gone.

Devil's advocate maybe, but I still ask what else do you want? Most at this juncture go all misty-eyed and say they want it to go back to the days when Julian ran it...

Like I said , nothing , I've never liked Naim Audio equipment, I got put off it by a really bad demo in the early 90's, it sounded more like nails on a chalk board rather than music, once bitten .....

To be totally fair and honest I did buy a second hand Nait for Ā£40 in the Spring of '98 to play records in a second system as my first born was just getting on their feet and I didn't want to risk a broken needle or scratched record.
I did like it but sold it in the September when we moved to a bigger house with a dedicated music room.

Like I said , nothing , I've never liked Naim Audio equipment, I got put off it by a really bad demo in the early 90's, it sounded more like nails on a chalk board rather than music, once bitten .....

To be totally fair and honest I did buy a second hand Nait for Ā£40 in the Spring of '98 to play records in a second system as my first born was just getting on their feet and I didn't want to risk a broken needle or scratched record.
I did like it but sold it in the September when we moved to a bigger house with a dedicated music room.
No worries, and good job we don't all like the same thing.

It's funny...it was the jokes thread that finally pushed me away from.my years with the naim forum
The ridiculous heavy handed "moderation" that resulted in members being banned and posts being removed
When I spoke up about it I was instantly banned too...so I went straight back on there with a new user name and kicked up hell. Supported by fellow members I was reinstalled...but the damage was done, I couldn't stay
Thank god for PFM !!

You have to hand it to the Naim marketing department whatever you think of their gear - I remember Noel Keyword writing positively in HFW about pairing a Naim power amp with a valve pre, but I don't think I've ever seen such a combination in real life - there's always a accompanying stack of Salisbury's finest (stopping short of the speakers if the owner has any decency šŸ˜‰)

The only other brand I can think of which inspires similar cultish devotion is AN, but I've often seen their kit mixed with other brands - to excellent effect in my own system as it happens šŸ˜Ž

The thing I find the most amusing, is that Richard Dane goes by the title of ā€œLeaderā€. It makes it sound like they are on an expedition.
I still own a couple of Naits, one from ā€˜86, and the other from ā€˜89. Excellent little ampsā€¦

When I went on naim forum šŸ˜‚

I am soooo disappointed, I opened this thread expecting a ā€œWhen I went to Bandcampā€ read.

The thing I find the most amusing, is that Richard Dane goes by the title of ā€œLeaderā€. It makes it sound like they are on an expedition.
I still own a couple of Naits, one from ā€˜86, and the other from ā€˜89. Excellent little ampsā€¦
His is not an easy job and heā€™ll probably be very amused by your comment. He is also an avid contributor of this very forum.šŸ˜Ž

I also asked questions about upgrading cables (including mains), and was told in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that only only mugs upgrade cables, and that the standard Naim cables could not be improved on. Within weeks Naim released their own cables, including mains, and everyone on there was swooning over them. It's a sign of intelligence to change one's mind in light of new evidence, but it's a sign of the opposite to be so sure of yourself that refuse to consider conflicting views.

advertisement

Back