advertisement

When I went on naim forum šŸ˜‚

The original site was a genius piece of marketing.
The 80's adverts were genius and a lovely example of the great business Julian and his staff created.
Sharp contrast to nowadays greedy profit company managed by French Focal šŸ‘ŗšŸ¤‘

a74782f551058b8050f5f1a9a6da1b78969ec7d6.jpeg

I owned Olive for a while. It had a particular sound. I wondered whether the marketing of PRAT was used to elevate a sound that was somewhat flawed?
ie It wasnā€™t a presentation that suited classical really and was more effective with single instrument, chamber and some jazz. For some, it was great with rock and hard rock.

Thanks Tiggers - quite the change. Surprised you swapped the LP12 out for the Michell.

Yeah, it was was not quite as simple as that. I moved the LP12 on as i was no longer really listening to vinyl. Then a couple of years later I realised I missed my vinyl replay and decided to buy the Gyro as a stopgap... thing is I liked it so much that I have just kept it. While it's technically not as good as the LP12 was (partly as the arm/cartridge is a not as good as the Ekos/Arkiv) it just (yes I know it's a trite expression) plays music the way I like it. It is exceedingly good value for money and looks rather lovely too. Thing is... I don't feel the need to upgrade it which is intertesting.

hmm, I trust this is British humor, šŸ˜‚ I can't find any fresh air over there, just high moderation and sheepish talk in generel.
There's a few objective souls but they haven't got a chance.
So many things aren't allowed to be discussed, its crazy in a free world.
JV had an entirely different approach to discussion, Focal killed Naim.
Yep... killed them to the point where they are more profitable than ever :rolleyes:

I was never able to afford active naim but enjoyed my top ish end system when I had it. ATC is more rounded, perhaps not as ā€˜fastā€™ as SBLs but does everything very well. Mid band is stunning, voices incredible & has more presence.

The latest range would be a great match for active speakers & I think itā€™s a positive direction for them to take.

Iā€™ve recently gone back after a 10 year hiatus. Has been quite useful reading the threads on the new classic series. last month I swapped my Devialet 250 for a NSC222 and NC NAP250. Very very pleased with them. A big step up bass soundstage and separation from the Devialet. Plan on adding the NPx300 and that will be fine for me for another decade.

I've no Naim gear, or Linn ('cept for a couple of the 'cheap' arms and a K18 bodied AT95, with Black Diamond nude elliptical, and 'lovin' it). What am I missing? Just less than the square root of damn-all!

That only tells us they're more profitable, that could be for many of reasons and speaks nothing of anything else.
Increased turnover, higher R&D spend, more profit... what else are you after? From a business perspective they are doing very well. They also have a product range that appeals to what younger discerning and fairly wealthy people want these days i.e. all in one systems and integrated A/V while keeping a nod to the old separates philosophy... best of luck to them.

I was never able to afford active naim but enjoyed my top ish end system when I had it. ATC is more rounded, perhaps not as ā€˜fastā€™ as SBLs but does everything very well. Mid band is stunning, voices incredible & has more presence.

The latest range would be a great match for active speakers & I think itā€™s a positive direction for them to take.

NSC 222 with active ATC makes a very attractive system really

Yeah, it was was not quite as simple as that. I moved the LP12 on as i was no longer really listening to vinyl. Then a couple of years later I realised I missed my vinyl replay and decided to buy the Gyro as a stopgap... thing is I liked it so much that I have just kept it. While it's technically not as good as the LP12 was (partly as the arm/cartridge is a not as good as the Ekos/Arkiv) it just (yes I know it's a trite expression) plays music the way I like it. It is exceedingly good value for money and looks rather lovely too. Thing is... I don't feel the need to upgrade it which is intertesting.
Totally agree. I have a Gyro with SME IV. It's one of those things you buy and want to keep. They're built to last forever.

However, if you want a bit of mild amusement, I can recommend a read of the thread over there entitled ā€œNew Naim Audio Websiteā€.

Iā€™m amazed this thread has not been pulled yet considering it clearly breaches the aup.

It seems friendly and good natured to me on the whole. As you know from the number of times you have been given leeway after consistently hurling abuse on the various football threads (and others) moderation is fairly fluid and goes both ways. It is unwise to throw bricks in glass houses!

I pop back in there now and then. The oddest question I saw asked recently was what was the best DAC to buy to burn in the USB socket on his new music server (USB socket would be unused in normal use but he just wanted to burn everything in). The advise was clear ā€¦ to make thorough job of it, the most expensive one he could afford!

advertisement

Back