advertisement

When I went on naim forum 😂

I've not been on the Naim forum for years but the last time I was there it wasn't the friendliest of places. I've been toying with making a return visit as I have been thinking about digging my Naim kit out but replacing the pre-amp (and ancient NAC32.5) with something more modern and with a remote (I'm getting old and lazy!) so wanted advice on what the options were. I'll most likely just ask on here instead!

There’s a good number of us Naimies over here. We’re taking notes………..

:D :D

OTOH, inserting photos in posts is much easier.

And we’ve also got a Lego thread.

And politics is not allowed, so the off-topic section is far less rabid.

Also lots of kitty & doggie photos (with the occasion bunny and chickens)

That guy is always trying to make out he is a supper hero naim guru.
The things he can hear the difference doing is remarkable, especially being a old gentleman, that probably can't hear much above 10 kHz these days.
I feel he just likes to say he can to try and sound clever and important. But he makes me laugh with it all, silly old bugger

And where’s the harm? He’s never rude and always try’s to be helpful when asked.

.sjb

I think the ridicule that sometimes comes to brands like Naim etc. stems from areas like the Naim forum. It’s a shames as the kit is decent.

I was staggered to see the prices of the new kit. I haven't looked in that direction for well over 10 years, more like 15. Their base integrated is something like 2K€, I believe.
There's a thread about their prices here:

Naim Prices

Only posted to stop the inevitable re-treading of the whole subject yet again!!

On the subject of the Naim forum I haven't been there for years as I've moved on but even when I was immersed in Naim kit I found it useful in some respects, but you still needed the likes of pfm or the Wam to give some balance to the whole subject. I still look back fondly on my Naim gear though... I had a quarter of a century of very happy music listening partly down to them and I am very glad they are still around and doing so well even if they have left me behind somewhat.

On the subject of the Naim forum I haven't been there for years as I've moved on but even when I was immersed in Naim kit I found it useful in some respects, but you still needed the likes of pfm or the Wam to give some balance to the whole subject. I still look back fondly on my Naim gear though... I had a quarter of a century of very happy music listening partly down to them and I am very glad they are still around and doing so well even if they have left me behind somewhat.
What system do you have now Tiggers?

What system do you have now Tiggers?
Michell Gyro/RB330/Ania
Rega Isis
Schitt Freya Plus
ATC SCM40As

Used to have (all Naim other than the TT):
Linn LP12/Ekos/Arkiv/Lingo 2
CDS3
XPS DR
52/Supercap
SNAXO2-4/Supercap
135s x 4
SL2 speakers

I would say the current system is not necessarily better than the previous, but more that it's different.. the mids in the ATCs are stunning... the Naim system probably had a bit more punch to it. The Isis is an amazing CD player - if you're still a CD man... as I am. No streamer in the system although I totally get streaming and why it's so good, but I still like the physicality of CDs and vinyl.

What I have done though is significantly reduce the box count which was my primary reason for the change. I am trying a Primare Pre in the system in place of the Freya, but other than that don't feel the need to fiddle with it.

In the old days it was a good forum. Before I left I took part in a wonderful thread about switch on thump. Managed to get the conversation on to the different types of thump depending on the Naim amp concerned, with members describing the sound of different thumps. Finally I moved into a conversation about the worrying lack of thump on my 52/250 and about whether this meant that I needed to get it serviced.

The Isis is an amazing CD player - if you're still a CD man... as I am. No streamer in the system although I totally get streaming and why it's so good, but I still like the physicality of CDs and vinyl.
Reflects my situation too, plus the tuner of course (major source !!!!!!) Maybe your Isis is s/s and I understand that the valved equivalent is a notch (and ££££s) above. Being a valved CDP man, I can understand if that's true,

Current Naim is all about streaming though, there’s an amazing synergy between native streamers and amps. Also Naim/ATC is quite popular pairing.

Michell Gyro/RB330/Ania
Rega Isis
Schitt Freya Plus
ATC SCM40As

Used to have (all Naim other than the TT):
Linn LP12/Ekos/Arkiv/Lingo 2
CDS3
XPS DR
52/Supercap
SNAXO2-4/Supercap
135s x 4
SL2 speakers

I would say the current system is not necessarily better than the previous, but more that it's different.. the mids in the ATCs are stunning... the Naim system probably had a bit more punch to it. The Isis is an amazing CD player - if you're still a CD man... as I am. No streamer in the system although I totally get streaming and why it's so good, but I still like the physicality of CDs and vinyl.

What I have done though is significantly reduce the box count which was my primary reason for the change. I am trying a Primare Pre in the system in place of the Freya, but other than that don't feel the need to fiddle with it.
Thanks Tiggers - quite the change. Surprised you swapped the LP12 out for the Michell.

Reflects my situation too, plus the tuner of course (major source !!!!!!) Maybe your Isis is s/s and I understand that the valved equivalent is a notch (and ££££s) above. Being a valved CDP man, I can understand if that's true,
Yeah bought mine as pre-owned and was holding out for the valve version but one never came up.

I have to say, that site can be a breath of fresh air though
hmm, I trust this is British humor, 😂 I can't find any fresh air over there, just high moderation and sheepish talk in generel.
There's a few objective souls but they haven't got a chance.
So many things aren't allowed to be discussed, its crazy in a free world.
JV had an entirely different approach to discussion, Focal killed Naim.

advertisement

Back