advertisement

Whats your most valuable LP ?

Not that obscure - a key record in the development of metal I'd say.

I picked up the first Warzone 7" and a demo tape by Nihilist (later Entombed) on my one teenage visit to Shades. They're now worth about £80 each. I should have spent more money there :)

Agree, with the benefit of some historical perspective, Bathory are godfathers of the Scandi metal scene, but at the time the first album came across as second rate Venom copy.

I was a regular visitor to Shades - in the context of this thread, I regret passing on Guns & Roses Live Like a Suicide - i simply didn't rate it despite them playing it to death.:(

Condition is virtually mint. But who in their right mind would spend £600 on two pieces of plastic inside a cardboard box?

Same applies to old musty books or rare model trains etc. It's worth what somebody will pay (or in an auction what two or more people are prepared to pay).

A while ago, my wife asked me which albums were worth any money (she's said that most of them would be 50p or less if sold to a dealer but pick out the Porcupine Tree ones, they seem to be worth a fair bit. I've not found values for all of them but I'm already into 4 figures.

One of my friends asked me the same question a while ago. I gave him the same answer. But he said that he had only ever played the LPs once to record them then he put them away. So he could have a few near mint ones from the 70s.

Kinnell, just spotted the first two PJ Harvey albums go for good money now.
If I keep finding them at this rate, that's the new bathroom sorted.

Have the laquers from the Analogue Productions issue of Sarah McLachlan’s Mirrorball album.

Haven’t a clue what they are worth though.

My better half has Polly Harvey's Dry 'Demo' double album version, signed by all the band. Must be worth a few pennies I guess (I love the demo disc).

We've got a lot of vinyl between us and no doubt a few desirable items, but I bought most of mine from 2nd hand shops etc so some mine aren't in the best condition, but that never stopped me from enjoying them :D

It's worth what somebody will pay (or in an auction what two or more people are prepared to pay).

A friend of mine was given the task of improving the turnover in a failing bookshop in the east end of London. He found that, by putting paperback books into plastic bags, he could sell them for five times what they were worth. Always, it would be an American who came in, saying “I just adore these books you have here. I’ll take the whole shelf.” If they weren’t in plastic bags, the same books never sold.

Similarly I assume, Discogs sells this plastic tat to the Americans.

not very rare bowie 6 pack 7" picture disk singles collection again unplayed saw one go for £250 recently.
Hendrix 6 pack 7" £150
looking at my collection i have quite a few rare items
quite a few out of print

Noooooo! I lent 2 of the discs from mine to someone 30 odd years ago, and never got them back! I'll have to see if I can track her down somewhere!

Finding some anomalies in my collection.
Things I assumed were next to worthless due to pp sq e.g. The Smiths Rhino Complete box listed for £130-£140.
1st edition Beck and Bjork shm cds around £100 each.

I'll have to see if I can track her down somewhere!

Here's a lead: she may be operating a very lucrative 2nd hand record shop.

According to Discogs the top 3 in my collection are:

Stasis / Nuron - Likemind 01 (Likemind - LM-01) 12" 1993 £42.06 min, £78.14 median, £108.24 max

Vainqueur - Lyot (Maurizio - M-2) 12", Ora 1992 £30.52 min, £75.77 median £135.57 max

Brother From Another Planet / DB-X* - Planet Earth / Trance Missions (7th City - SC-001) 12", TP, W/Lbl, Gre 1992 £47.11min, £71.05 median, £142.11 max

Most valuable CD: DeepChord - Deepchord 01-06 (DeepChord - deepchord 01-06) CD, Album 2000 £31.61 min, £53.83 median, £66.07 max

So nothing really valuable.

And 4 days to go.

An old friend had a huge collection of mint 7" singles, all collected from the beginning of Punk. Knowing him he probably still has them all.

Bloss

Picked up a lot of psych Lps in the late 80’s that are worth a fair bit , not that I can see me ever selling them .......really should check out the current values, think I paid about £40 each for these few
Pussy -Pussy Plays
13th floor elevators - Easter everywhere
Savage resurrection - ST

A rare CD that I have that totally surprised me when I looked it up is Simple Minds - The Early Years. Averages about £80. I've no idea where I got it from. Seems it was withdrawn soon after release for unspecified reasons.

And 4 days to go.

An old friend had a huge collection of mint 7" singles, all collected from the beginning of Punk. Knowing him he probably still has them all.

Bloss

There was a Sex Pistols demo single sold on popsike (sp) about two years ago for about £20k, apparently the seller's mother worked in some record shop when the single was released and no one bought it or hardly anyone bought a copy so the owner told the guy's mother to skip what was left so she kept 10 of them and gave them away to her mates and kept two for herself and one of them was the one sold above.

Think that's more or less the story.

Can't find the record at the moment but here's a list of the most valuable sold recently.

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?top25=all

They changed labels three times in about as many weeks when Anarchy In The UK was released so it exists in small numbers on A&M, EMI and fnally properly released on Virgin in descending order of value.

Ahh I see.

See, this is what would probably do me out of a load of money, the amount of knowledge you need is vast!

They changed labels three times in about as many weeks when Anarchy In The UK was released so it exists in small numbers on A&M, EMI and fnally properly released on Virgin in descending order of value.

IIRC Anarchy was only on EMI but GSTQ was on A&M extremely briefly, then Virgin.

advertisement

Back