advertisement

Whats your most valuable LP ?

Wow! Some high-rollers on here!

According to Discogs the highest value LPs I have are...

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (original press £140)
The Tuss - Rushup Edge (an Aphex Twin alias - £140)
Straight Ahead - Breakaway (NY Hardcore from 1987 - £120)

Someone also paid £125 for the Charles Mingus - Spain '77 bootleg on Discogs earlier this year which seems a bit rich.

Will never sell them but. Some of mine: Television Marquee Moon, 1st press on Elektra; The Meters, 1st press on Josie; The Replacements, Let It Be, 1st press on Twin/Tone; Guided by Voices, Box (set on Scat). Also treasure original Ramones Leave Home with "Carbona Not Glue" which was pulled from sale and reissued with "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" after a legal claim from the carbona manufacturer.

Discogs prices are based on $. This is quite comforting when the £ falls as it has this morning. My records are now worth more than when I went to bed!

Few rare knocking about on the racks :

Beatles - Please Please Me - Stereo black/gold 1st press
Beatles - Please Please Me - Mono black/gold 1st press
Led Zep - 1st LP - Turquosie lettering 1st press
Bowie - Man Who Sold The World - dress cover 1st press
Nick Drake - 1st three LPs 1st press
Pink Floyd - DSOTM - solid blue triangle 1st press
Nimbus Supercut - All 22 titles x 2 copies

All above are in mint cond :)

As another member mentioned these are my rainy day fund - i hope it never rains !

For me this thread has produced unexpected happiness, as it turns out there's lots of desirable cheap but fine condition vinyl on Discogs.

A couple of Smiths records -

1st album, German multi-coloured limited edition - signed by Morrissey
Italian William 12", with mispressed different version of how soon is now

Speakers Corner re-master of Supertramp's Crime of the Century , about £150

Saw this, and wondered, not really being au fait with record pressings etc. I have 2 copies of this 1974 record. The first, I've had for years and it's very good s.q. The second, bought recently, has stunning s.q.; blinding dynamics, comparably.

Why are these 2 records so different? The first is marked A8/B12 and the recent acquisition A10/B10, so that doesn't give me a clue. Otherwise they seen identical.

Anyone? Haven't come across this phenomenon, despite any copies of other records ('Rumours', e.g.)

The second, bought recently, has stunning s.q.; blinding dynamics, comparably.

Why are these 2 records so different? The first is marked A8/B12 and the recent acquisition A10/B10, so that doesn't give me a clue. Otherwise they seen identical.
Is the second record a 180gram

unplayed copy of bowie man who sold the world dress cover original pressing have no idea of value but very rare

not very rare bowie 6 pack 7" picture disk singles collection again unplayed saw one go for £250 recently.
Hendrix 6 pack 7" £150
looking at my collection i have quite a few rare items
quite a few out of print

My all time record- obscure cult 80's metal

https://www.discogs.com/Bathory-Bathory/release/989083

Prices look even madder right now - sold mine 5/6 years ago for approx £400
Not bad for an impulse buy at the legendary 'Shades' music store in St Annes court

Not that obscure - a key record in the development of metal I'd say.

I picked up the first Warzone 7" and a demo tape by Nihilist (later Entombed) on my one teenage visit to Shades. They're now worth about £80 each. I should have spent more money there :)

I've just had a go at cataloguing my classical collection on Discogs. This seems to be much easier than with rock music etc., because it's usually simple to identify precisely which version you have. And classical isn't (wasn't) worth much anyway, so it just makes it easier for me to see exactly what I've got on those shelves, without having to get down on my knees and crane my neck.

Oh yeah, there's a Rossini section at the end of one shelf, who I don't much like because his music is generally too romantic for me. But it turns out I have number 23 on this list:

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Most-...-Discogs-Marketplace-for-November-2014/222017.

Condition is virtually mint. But who in their right mind would spend £600 on two pieces of plastic inside a cardboard box?

advertisement

Back