advertisement

Whats your most valuable LP ?

AudioAl

pfm Member
As above , intrested to know what members most valuble LP is

I have a copy of Black Cat bones , Barbed wire sandwich , on discogs they are at £340 , I obtained my copy from a neighbour in a job lot of LP that had been in the botom of her wardobe for 3 decades :D

Daft Punk Tron Soundtrack and David Bowie Blackstar Clear are mine although in both cases was lucky to order before their prices when sky high. Currently around £65 and £250.

Another one is Goldfrapp Black Cherry also around £70.

Nothing really special though sadly.

Blackstar on clear vinyl with the lithographs. Arrived the day he died, not selling.

Possibly Tractor on John Peels Dandelion label,although I have many 1st day releases from the 70's.

I Dunno. A white label promo copy of Neil Young’s On the Beach with press sheet? Blue Liberty Mono copy of Captain Beefheart’s Strictly Personal?

Picked up a few wide band Decca SXLs and Columbia SAXs from Charity Shops.
Funny as I was doing a bit of checking on Ebay completed sales last night and think it was Pictures at an Exhibition Karajan Philharmonia on Coloumbia SAX original silver/light blue label.
Mancuso's Loft comps were doing well last time I checked but I have no intention to sell.
My biggest mistake was chafing at £15 for Five Leaves Left at King Bee Records in the early nineties.

No idea, but a few contenders are the Nimbus Supercut of Floyd’s Wish You Were Here, fully signed first Smiths album, fully signed Modern Jazz Quartet Pyramid, Klemperer’s Bach St Matthew Passion Columbia SAX 1st issue, Tureck Bach Goldbergs HMV ALP mono. Those are all worth proper cash.

PS Audiophiles who bought fancy Nimbus, DCC, MoFi, Alto, Classic Records etc vinyl in the past may well be sitting on a lot more than they think. Some of this stuff really is worth a lot now, and thankfully I bought a good amount new!

I only buy records to play, so the most valuable is the one I'm listening to.

Very good ! A musically mountainous region of abject poverty and wealth then.:)

Couple of Nimbus Supercuts here; Like Patrick, I've always bought records to play so these 'valuable' ones are not and therefore represent an accidental and awkward investment. I suppose.

Have a few originals from the late 60's and early 70's (Eric Burdon, Harrison, Dylan etc.) which are fantastic.

Anything theoretically valuable in my collection has been played to buggery and the sleeve is probably knackered too. A bit like the Horny-Dublo train set I had when a nipper (apart from the sleeve that is); some parts of it would be worth a fortune if mint/boxed.

I’ve always been obsessive about record condition right from my early teens and I was lucky enough to land a proper hi-fi system at 15 so records I’ve owned since then (1978) are still in great condition. I was always very careful with sleeves so stuff from then has no spine creases etc, but it wasn’t until the early ‘90s I invested in poly outers for everything so some more fragile matt ones do have some shelf-wear or discolouration. Being a record dealer obviously helps a huge amount as I’ll always upgrade my own copy of something I like if the opportunity arises. It also means I have no records I don’t like/bought in error/third albums from bands who made two good albums etc. I’m actually pretty ruthless about pruning, I’ve got to really like something for it to have a space on the shelf!

IIt also means I have no records I don’t like/bought in error/third albums from bands who made two good albums etc. I’m actually pretty ruthless about pruning, I’ve got to really want something for it to have a space on the shelf!

I rarely get rid of records; the less-played ones are in a fairly inaccessible cupboard, so they're a bit out of sight, out of mind. Pre-Spotify et al, it was all too easy to buy an album on the strength of previous glories, or one good track heard on the radio, and I have a fair few examples that I know I'll never play again. Maybe time to do some mining and get the dross down to the charity shop. (I've never bought any of the stuff that usually clogs up the racks at charity shops; ie no Paul Young, Phil Collins or Thompson Twins, so at least they'll have something more original to flog).

Valuable usually equates with rare but not always with quality. My original issue Nick Drake albums are valuable because they didn't sell many at the time. My copy of Jan Dukes De Grey - Mice and Rats in the Loft is more valuable because its rare and fragile but its nowhere near as good or important to me as Bryter Layter.

Most of my LP's pre approx 75 when I purchased a proper TT are pretty much screwed,I have managed to replace many over the years.
I keep thinking it's about time I had a cull as I could easily make enough to get a better cartridge,but can't ever seem to get round to it as it would be like losing old friends,even though I doubt I will ever play many of them.

A few Tom Waits: Night On Earth, Bone Machine, and The Black Rider that are apparently worth a few bob.
An original vinyl pressing of Bark Psychosis' Hex (though I imagine that's dropped after the recent, rather lovely reissue).
U2 3EP (sadly not the very first press though)

Until recently, for me it would have been an unplayed copy of Mahler 2, Bernstein on DG. Sold on Ebay for £300. I was never going to play it anyway. It funded a stack of Brahms chamber music and Beethoven piano music on LP in exchange. The Bernstein Mahler LPs reach some high prices. I don't know why.

Most valuable are probably the original Blue Notes, Prestiges, Bethlehems, etc in my collection. I have mint deep groove first pressings of Volume 1 & 2 of Blakey's A Night at Birdland, for example. In the rock genre, I'd say Tool's Aenima is close to the top (and no, it's not a bootleg copy).

advertisement

Back