advertisement

Whats the longest you've had a bit of Kit thats still in your system???

Not posted for a long time but this piqued my interest -- stuff I've had the longest
Sinclair system 4000 amp and tuner -- 1971 -- last in captivity? Still in office system
Sansui SR222 -- 1977 -- in sitting room
Wharfedale dentons -- 19xx -- hand me downs through family -- sitting room
Linn LP 12 -- 1980? -- black with black lid plus Ittok -- main system
NAC 42.5 -- 1980? -- main system
Don't live in a museum
Steve

I love the idea of having one of those Sansui turntables from new

Whilst my oldest item is an LP12 that probably only has the Cirkus left from the original, I'm finding that as I get older I buy older gear (latest purchase a 1980 Pioneer R2R)!

My carbon brush (circa 30 years) and my Nakamichi RX202E (about 14/15 years) which I bought for a song from Ebay and had serviced by Bowers & Wilkins in Worthing where lived at the time.

If we are talking about hifi related bits I still use a small cassette case dating from around 1977 and store my 7" singles in DJ cases bought around '78.

The Sinclair was bought mail order I think -- possibly Comet when they were Comet Records based in Leeds -- sometimes dodgy on one channel but a poke at the filter switch usually sorts it -- originally used with a Garrad Sp25 Mk2 and some DIY speakers. It replaced a amp by RSC who used to have a chain of shops ala Maplin selling components and kits.
The Sansui soldiers on with a Denon DL103 and heavy counter weight from a dutch spares guy on e-Bay -- the plastic speed change thingy is broken so its like teh Linn only does 33 1/3rpm.
Steve

so what are we to conclude from all this? that many members here are tight fisted so-and-sos who dont like to spend their dosh and hang onto their old gear until their dieing day? ;)

so what are we to conclude from all this? that many members here are tight fisted so-and-sos who dont like to spend their dosh and hang onto their old gear until their dieing day? ;)

I’m very far from convinced by the voicing of a lot of modern audio kit (digital replay aside) and probably spend at least what I would on new kit restoring vintage classics. A more rewarding journey from my perspective, green too!

With the original ear muffs? Mine disintegrated after about ten years.
Yes, muffs still going! I bought an NOS set once from Germany that I was warned had 'sticky gummypolsters'! aka, the decaying muffs.
I have spare set-just got them out today - that I intend to put Chamois on to replace the pleather.
They are great phones, but you DO need to run from speaker outlets as they need watts!

My Monitor Audio GX100s will soon be relagated to AV duties as a pair of Monitor Audio PL100 II is on the way.

That leaves the 5 year old Fanless SSD netbook as the oldest.

Last edited:
Marantz PM66SE-KI - 20 years.

Also had a 1993 Marantz CD52mkii SE until I gave it (back) to my brother when I switched to a streamer/CD ripper.

The belt and cog in the CD drawer went a couple of times, as has the phono stage on the amp. The left channel struggled a bit for a while recently as well, but seems to have righted itself.

Pro-Ject Debut III - 13 years.

Itching to upgrade the lot!

advertisement

Back