advertisement

Whats the longest you've had a bit of Kit thats still in your system???

If I'm to be completely accurate, it would actually be the LP12, but that's more like habit I couldn't shake off; still got one though, albeit in the office system upstairs.

Reactions: MVJ
Yes, 1986 for a Xerxes, that’s when I bought mine and it was one of the first, just after the HiFi Review rave review. Only available in black with an opaque black lid at that time!

Thinking about it the oldest audio things I have that have actually been in continuous use since I bought them will be my Audio Technica 637 vibrating stylus cleaner and Hunt EDA carbon fibre brush. I’ve owned both since the days of my first Lenco, so late-70s-early-80s. I found a nice similar period NOS replacement for the Hunt EDA brush a year or so ago (current Chinese ones aren’t as good!) as mine had got a bit clumpy, but I still have my original upstairs in the pfm record shop.

Creek CAS4040 bought new in 1984 and still in use, now in my home office system.

In my main system I've had my Michell Orbe SE & SME 309 / Cyrus Phono X & PSX-R since 2004.

My LP12, that I've had for 30 years.
It's had a few upgrades (arm, power supply, bearing) - still going strong.

Probably my LP12 from 1988 but not much of the deck is the same these days!

Since the mid 80s I've bought replacement bits from a previous era (eg I had AR18 speakers in 79, they perished and for nostalgia reasons I bought another pair 10 years ago)

I had a Texhnics SL1200 in around 1985 and I swapped it for a black 1210 version so that won't count.

My current rig has been the same for over 10 years, apart from changing the DV cart.

The reason is simple. I took up learning to play the piano, and actually didn’t use the hifi much at all until I retired from the police three years ago.

I’ve slowly and surely started listening to the music thru the rig again.

Hadcock 228 - constant use (apart from two weeks away with J7 for a rewire) since 1979 - 39 years
Mordaunt Arundel speakers - intermittent use since 1978
Decca Gold Garrott Brothers - owned since 1980 - occasionally used now

I've had the same QUAD 33/303/FM3 complete with boxes and manuals since 1976, so 42 years. It's much travelled and has outlasted a couple of wives!

It's been back to QUAD for servicing three times and is currently my office system driving a pair of Rogers LS3/5As, purchased in 1986.

I rather foolishly sold the matching afromosia wooden sleeve many years ago for reasons I cannot now remember, and I'd rather like another one!

The oldest item is my 15 year old Castle Classic sub-woofer which started life on AV duties but now also does hi-fi. The oldest electronics I have are Quad 99 full system of tuner, CDP2, pre-amp, & pair of power amps about 10 years old except tuner which is a few years older but I sold it & later re-purchased it.
Not strictly in my system but I gave a Quad 44 pre-amp & 606 power amp to local school some years ago along with a pair of Spendor SP1 speakers. They are still in use by the school & I bought them in 1987 - so 31 years old now.

I've had a Naim CD5 since 2003 -- it sounds good and I figure there's no reason to buy another CD player. (Naim replaced the mech in 2010 or so and it's seen light use since then.) That said, if a CDX2 came down the pike at the right price and I'm in a good mood and have had a few beers... I can't be held responsible for what my itchy PayPal finger might do.

Cambridge P50 amplifier, bought for me as a 21st birthday present; 43 years old, but still in working order (thanks to a service from a PFM member) in my vintage set-up, but only very occasionally used, in 'a la recherche' moments.

NAT03, bought for me as 40th birthday present, in continual use in the main system.

A shame that I have no more significant birthdays to come.

My LP12 bought in 1975 from a shop in Prince's Street Edinburgh. I remember taking it home to Elgin on the train. Still in use in my study.

advertisement

Back