advertisement

What's The Last Bit Of Audio Equipment You Have Bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got the bug... I've not actually bought anything for ages but I'm considering buying a second DS for my second system at some point. I'll be fitting an Apheta 2 to the turntable first though!
It’s worse than you think, I’m now saving for a 4200 and some mono cards. All started after you suggested a LK140 would be a good match for some Royd standmounts (which, incidentally, I found to be good, but massively overrated). I still have the LK140 for now. Merry Xmas!

It’s worse than you think, I’m now saving for a 4200 and some mono cards. All started after you suggested a LK140 would be a good match for some Royd standmounts (which, incidentally, I found to be good, but massively overrated). I still have the LK140 for now. Merry Xmas!
The 4200 will really get the best from your AK and Katans, it will sound stunning! Merry Christmas to you too!

Isoblue rack in Oa, replacing a DIY flexirack. I just need a couple of 65mm extensions now.

Pair of Goodmans Mezzo speakers - not the 1970s model, but the 1990s re—issue that was basically a larger version of the Maxim 3.

They’re a bit of a performance bargain IMHO...

What did they replace ? First impressions ?

Replaced a tired pair of Rogers LS7T. First impression? Mostly the same, but better integrated. The Rogers had a slightly "exposed" tweeter. The Harbeth is like the Rogers but with a bit more extension at the bottom, and a bit more "informative", better able to cope with dense arrangements, more scale when things need to get big. But the balance is so similar that you wouldn't notice the difference from the next room. On FM radio they're indistinguishable.

Which leaves me believing that the Rogers were a lot better than I gave them credit for. Still, mine needed to be retired, I had a woofer going out and replacements haven't been available for 30+ years. It was starting to make a noise on sustained low notes.

I didn't want to spring for the Harbeths at their current price, and was ready to "settle" for the Stirling LS3/6, but a pair of used SHL5+ turned up on eBay for Stirling money, including stands, so I jumped. They look like new. They're even in my preferred finish, Cherry.

Headphones...Shure SRH1540...good bargain on ebay, and using limited offer 0% finance from pay pal = £20 a month.
Heard these last year and wanted a pair, but needed to wait for a price reduction. Sound? I'll tell all on Jan 5th!

Replaced a tired pair of Rogers LS7T. First impression? Mostly the same, but better integrated. The Rogers had a slightly "exposed" tweeter. The Harbeth is like the Rogers but with a bit more extension at the bottom, and a bit more "informative", better able to cope with dense arrangements, more scale when things need to get big. But the balance is so similar that you wouldn't notice the difference from the next room. On FM radio they're indistinguishable.

Which leaves me believing that the Rogers were a lot better than I gave them credit for. Still, mine needed to be retired, I had a woofer going out and replacements haven't been available for 30+ years. It was starting to make a noise on sustained low notes.

I didn't want to spring for the Harbeths at their current price, and was ready to "settle" for the Stirling LS3/6, but a pair of used SHL5+ turned up on eBay for Stirling money, including stands, so I jumped. They look like new. They're even in my preferred finish, Cherry.

Thank you. Your first impressions come over as rather cool and calm for a speaker many rate so highly. Not much progress for 30 years then... apart from price.

Thank you. Your first impressions come over as rather cool and calm for a speaker many rate so highly. Not much progress for 30 years then... apart from price.

I had considered for a while going with the Harbeth Compact 7, but now think that would have been a sideways move from the Rogers (apart from tweeter balance).

I'm not disappointed by the SHL5+, and to be honest I haven't done just a whole lot of critical listening since they arrived. They surely have some surprises and delights left for me to discover. I'm also certain that my amplifier, an old Hafler, is presently holding things back. It is the next thing to be changed. I would have changed it before the speakers if the Rogers' woofers had been in better health. Also keep in mind that I live hundreds of miles from the nearest dealer that can demonstrate 2-channel audio for music playback, and took a punt on these speakers sight unseen.

I had considered for a while going with the Harbeth Compact 7, but now think that would have been a sideways move from the Rogers (apart from tweeter balance).

I'm not disappointed by the SHL5+, and to be honest I haven't done just a whole lot of critical listening since they arrived. They surely have some surprises and delights left for me to discover. I'm also certain that my amplifier, an old Hafler, is presently holding things back. It is the next thing to be changed. I would have changed it before the speakers if the Rogers' woofers had been in better health. Also keep in mind that I live hundreds of miles from the nearest dealer that can demonstrate 2-channel audio for music playback, and took a punt on these speakers sight unseen.
I think we forget how vast the states are, there has to be seven or eight within a fifteen mile radius of me, some more centred on AV than others but all offering two channel audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back