advertisement

What's The Last Bit Of Audio Equipment You Have Bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
some iso pucks which made a big difference to imaging on some b&w standmounts and under some proac 125 made the treble sweeter and even more balanced sound . so a very cheap upgrade indeed [200 rrp for 8]

Quad esl's,2805.I will never look back to anything else then esl speakers. Fundamental change.Thinkin' about change amps valve way,maybe Quad forty's or stay with naim.

Possibly, provided the seller accepts my enquiry, an EAR 869 ...

Yep. Just paid for an EAR 869 (actually from another seller) and even better: they took my Amcron (Crown) D150 Seres II in px. Fantastic. Will receive it after Christmas.

After using Mana 4-tier rack & spiked speakers (still have the Mana rack, it looks cool), I have now decoupled everything (some bits I had, but I bought the Bright Star stuff in):

4x Large Bright Star IsoNodes under each speaker stand
4x Black Ravioli under the amp (bottom shelf)
4x Large Bright Star Isonodes under the DAC
8x Small IsoNodes under preamp box / preamp power supply box
CD transport is on the top, on an SRM/Tech acrylic / sorbothane platform

Benefits are very clear an obvious in my old suspended wooden floor terrace:

* No more bass 'boom' (floors singing) around the house
* No more bass boom next door unless very loud
* More focus and cleaner top end
* Cleaner at higher volumes

It's been a surprising adventure, and what I would term a 'significant' upgrade for less than £150 new.

Chromecast Audio. Cheap as chips and together with spotify premium at €9.99, I have access to so much. The Vinyl/CD options have taken a back seat for now.
This thing is connected to my Primare pre with a crap little phono lead. Right now listening to some Hendrix and really impressed with the quality of the stream.
With Hendrix, it's going to be loud and the sounstage of my system is holding up really well.
Delighted!

Took care of a Tom Evans Microgroove from a lovely fellow on here (Synapse) and it's a massive upgrade over my cheap Project Phono MM, really really impressed with it so far!

Original Wharfedale Active Diamonds (late 80s) in broken white, near mint. Connect to Behringer UCA202 and tata! - perfect background speakers for office near-field listening.

Spendor S3/5Rs s/h. Wondered why I had sold them in the first place. Magnificent pin point stereo imaging and soundstaging with great reproduction of timbre.

Bought a brand new baby Exposure 1010 integrated amp a couple of weeks ago along with a Chord Chordette HD DAC and a Chord Shawline interconnect. All have burned in quiet nicely now. The Exposure is preforming well above expectations.

SOtM SMS-200 network media player. Quite superb usability and rock solid so far. Also sounds significantly nicer than my previous Mac mini which was customised (all solid state, passive cooling etc).

sMS-200_Front_L.jpg

Teddy Pardo XPS mk 3 power supply for my Naim CDX2. Very quick service from Israel. It needs running in but so far there is more detail and images are more stable. There does seem to be just a small amount of slam loss, to be honest it is less than I thought there would be. I'm impressed.

Myryad Z40 headphone/pre-amp from Peter Tyson (see Classified's Ebay watch thread). I need to service my Linx Stratos pre-amp at some point soon so this will be doing temporary pre-amp duties (and then going on to power my high impedance Beyer DT770 Pros). Was going to put in a wanted ad for a used pre, when I saw this linked. Reviews seem good.

Bit of a splurge recently, Linn Akurate Kontrol D, hi fi Berry digi + pro and a pair of Linn Katans, all in the last week or so.
You got the bug... I've not actually bought anything for ages but I'm considering buying a second DS for my second system at some point. I'll be fitting an Apheta 2 to the turntable first though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back