advertisement

What's The Last Bit Of Audio Equipment You Have Bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tannoy Ellipse 8:- 3 way active studio monitors.

The Ellipse 8 & 10's are just about the final dual concentric professional studio speakers that Tannoy produced I believe (plus the DSP version that followed a year or two later).

Two months into my ownership and I'm feeling like these could be my best purchase of the last few years :)

I recently acquired a nearly new Yamaha CD-S2100 (thanks Simon) and apart from a software/transport hitch (fixed by Yamaha) it has been fantastic. It has the ability to play SACD's as well as having a balanced out sockets both of which were high on my wants/needs list. Its the first 'proper' CD player I have ever owned and it is a lovely thing with the smoothest CD drawer I have ever seen. Its heavy and big so you feel you are getting value for money on that front. As others have reported, the build quality of these expensive Yamaha's is superb and its a reminder of how these big corporations can really do the business if they want to (or if they think there is a demand for such things).

Its probably worth adding that as good as the Yamaha is, it also shows me how capable those very 2nd hand DVD/universal disc players I have been using for years are. Yes the Yam is better and closer to my experience of LP playback but bang for buck its hard to beat something like a Denon DVD3910.

NVA Phono 2 with extra ps and from member here [droom] a Project RS LPS for use with my Project RS cdt. Both have moved the sound quality another rung or two up the ladder.

V rarely buy hifi but on a whim , probably after a couple of cold drinks , I bought BK monolith plus to work with my atc 100s. I was more than half expecting it not really to work and having to send it back. In fact it underpins what the ATC's do really well, with out any dsp. So much so that I'm thinking of getting another one

Up tone rensen

V nice cheap (£80) s/h upgrade for my mbp. Works well with the s/h audioquest jitterbug (£20)in a second port.

M

a Naim Stageline -- perhaps the third time's a charm. i sold the other two i had over the years because i found them dark-sounding and boring. however, of late i've been running a Zu Audio DL-103 and A23 step-up transformer, which i thought had too much "sizzle" when paired with my DV P75 phono or the cheap Yaqin MM tube stage i also have on hand.

it seems to be working well, so far. i'm feeding the Stageline with a Hicap 2 that i wasn't really using for anything else, and the clean, dark, rhythmic quality of the Stageline seems to be complementing the exuberant 103/A23 combo pretty well.

The latest version of Moode player for raspberry Pi 3.8. $10
It used to be free but there is so much good work going into it there is a nominal fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back