advertisement

What's The Last Bit Of Audio Equipment You Have Bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought four 58x90" tab top black voile panels for my listening room south facing patio doors a few days ago.
They came today.
Absolutely fabulous.
It means i can have my wooden blinds open more and not be hit by scorching sun this summer.:cool:
Basically they are just plain black 100% polyester net curtains.
But they work look nice and for a fiver each with tiebacks I am happy.:)

12 year old Highland Park single malt ��
I have a gift box with a bottle of Highland Park and a engraved glass from the Linn 40th anniversary bash weekend in 2013.
I also have a bottle of bitter from Oban a friend brought back for me along with a Billy Idol LP in 2010.

I recently put myself on the (very very long) waiting list for the Geek Out V2 USB DAC & headphone amp. Aside from that we're nearly in May & I haven't bought anything in 2015, must be a first in the last 10yrs!

...well aside from a pair of Sony MDR-V6 for office listening. Surprisingly good sound especially after they were run in on a proper headphone amp, and in-line with its studio credentials is the most durable headphone I've ever owned. :)

A pair of tatty Urei 809's off the bay. For those unfamiliar with the Urei line of classic 1980's monitors these are the babies, with a 12" JBL dual concentric. This dual uses the same drivers as the classic JBL 4425 studio monitor. And the famous Urei time aligned crossover.

Refoamed drivers, exchanged one damaged cab for one I had stashed away, deoxited the pots, soldered all internal connections, removed foam from the ports. Huge clean and dynamic sound like monitor golds on steroids, with excellent portrayal of depth due to the trick crossover. Including petrol (pickup only), foams and the spare cab I accquired earlier these came in at under £200...

Nothing. I had a very strange experience trying to buy some speakers on eBay; 'won' the speakers; paid for them via PayPal, only for the money to be refunded the next day and the sale cancelled with no explanation. Just as well really; I've got more than enough stuff as it is.

In a bid to eliminate the need for cables (which make massive differences, tell the world) I have bought an IQaudio PI-DAC+ to plug straight into my rPI 2 by I2s.

Of course it isn't as amazing as xyz turntable, arm and cartridge but if it yields more of the music than my Maplins USB DAC does from the rPi (using RuneAudio) then I have a great experience and massive savings (<£100)

Since starting to use the rPi/RuneAudio combo I smile every time one of our 'it's only vinyl for me' fans posts their opinion.
Looking forward to next weeks delivery.

Just bought some Partington Broadside stands for my Triagle Magellan Duetto's

Made a huge change for the better!

This is my latest piece of kit.

It uses some clever technology to decode a frequency modulated, very high frequency, analogue signal “streamed” wirelessly over the æther by the BBC, so you don’t need a broadband connection. It also has a battery so you don’t even need “mains” electricity, meaning it can be used almost anywhere. It’s got a lovely “tone”, weighs just 6lbs and I quite like the styling, but I’m just wondering if the technology will catch on, or whether I’m going to be left witha bit of a white elephant.

SAM_1575_zpsi0z8fggd.jpg
[/URL]

I've posted on another thread but mine was an urge to scratch a minor itch out of sheer curiosity: a used Amptastic mini-1 for £70. I'm amazed and what such a twee box does. It's in my boys room fed by iPhone dock thing into old Denon (Mission) speakers. Compared to the old NAD integrated it brings the music out of the boxes and images nicely. Very listenable. I daren't bring it downstairs on my kit. Yet....

A pair of elderly JMLab Electra 905s: absolutely gorgeous, articulate, effortless sound, for me anyway.

Worryingly, coupled with an equally cheap but excellent old tuner (and assisted by a small sub) the sound is sweeter than the 'proper' system downstairs: so something about the digital set-up still ain't quite right.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back