advertisement

What's The Last Bit Of Audio Equipment You Have Bought II?

Whaleblue

Southbound
One of these:

39467132165_88660609f4_z.jpg

A nice case that’s HiFi rack friendly, with latest Gen 8 Core i7 processor, 4K graphics card, and 7.1 DAC card (based on TI Bur-Brown PCM1792A). It’s all SSD with 256gb M.2 for OS and other software, plus 1TB SSD for music (and perhaps films).

Runs Roon extremely well, as you might imagine, and does all the other computermajig stuff, connected to a 55” 4K TV, that dedicated HiFi components obviously don’t.

It’s the future.

Plays beautifully through my ‘70s amp and speakers. :)

A nice case that’s HiFi rack friendly, with latest Gen 8 Core i7 processor, 4K graphics card, and 7.1 DAC card (based on TI Bur-Brown PCM1792A). It’s all SSD with 256gb M.2 for OS and other software, plus 1TB SSD for music (and perhaps films).

Excellent choice Whaleblue. Far more powerful and a darn site more flexible than an 'audiophile' streamer!

You do realise of course a good linear PSU will take it to whole new level ;)

What DAC card are you using AAMOI?

What DAC card are you using AAMOI?

https://www.asus.com/uk/Sound-Cards/Essence_STX_II_71/

I’ll only be using it as a 4.0 for the foreseeable, and indeed so far only in 2.0 mode as I need to rig up the rear speakers. It cost £225, but that’s just the two cards, no additional fancy case to pay for (just, of course, the main PC case).

It has a fancy surround headphone mode too (and proper 6.5mm jack connector), which I must try out.

It cost £225, but that’s just the two cards, no additional fancy case to pay for (just, of course, the main PC case).

It has a fancy surround headphone mode too (and proper 6.5mm jack connector), which I must try out.

Wow, £225 for a 124db SNR 7.1 channel DAC! Thats serious VFM. I can envisage using something like this with the likes of Audirvana handling DSP, crossovers etc. Defo the future. Congrats and enjoy!

I've just received a Yamamoto HS-3 boxwood headshell from Japan. I'll have a play with my AT33PTG/II and DL301-II to see which suits it best.

Stax 007mk1s. Rather nice they are too, though I will need to change my amp to get the best from them (the 006T struggles a bit)...

Just replaced my trusty Nac72 and Nap140 with a Hegel H360 amplifier.
I can't stop listening to music! Love it

A second-hand Line Magnetic 502CA Dac that has both transistor and tube output stages.Mine is not gold but aluminium-coloured. Sounds fabulous with Mullards and Tungsol valves. One Burson v5 opamp was already in it.

Q97bAYzh.jpg

Last edited:
Since buying a Tisbuy pre to replace the Icon that went - temporarily - missing when I moved house 4 years ago. Nothing. I am totally happy. All upgradeitis has been transferred to my bass rig. My Tannoys are benched until the kids are old enough to not punch holes in the cones but ESL 63s keep me more than happy and the 301 is going nowhere. My Trichord Dino is playing up but hopefully that can just be repaired.

A vintage Tektronix 2245 oscilloscope - bought specifically to help with checking tape head azimuth - more accurate than my twin PPM meters which have a mono sum function and azimuth gauge. I could also check the set up of my TT cartridges, but that can wait.

I'll be using the scope every time I duplicate a newly purchased production copy or "safety copy" - if the replay azimuth isn't the same as the record head azimuth on the machine used to make the original, you end up losing a lot of high frequencies and the copy sounds dull.

Two for today. Second was a Silver DIN to RCA interconnect from custom hifi cables. Exceptional build quality and completeLy smoked my HiLine.

Rob

10 meters of QED XT400 speaker cable so that it may reach to where I have placed the left Quad ESL 57.
om93K6Vl.jpg

cRy9I2wl.jpg

om93K6V

Last edited:
Oppo HA2 SE portable headphone amp & DAC.

Very versatile piece of kit, not only with usb A & micro usb digital inputs for computers, tablets & smart phones, but also with both variable volume headphone output & fixed volume line-out for connection to your main system amplifier. However its real point of difference is that at the flick of a switch the line out becomes an analogue line in to connect to the record out of your main system amp thereby providing a headphone output from your main hi-fi system enabling you to listen to any source which is connected to your main system amplifier including FM tuner, turntable, etc.

P.S. Discovered today that the SE version of the Oppo HA2 does not work with the (old) Apple iPod Classic - whereas he original version of the HA2 does - but SE version is fine with (current) iPod Touch.

Last edited:
Sold my LINN LP12SE yesterday after 15 years ownership. Bought a Well Tempered Versalex and a Trilogy 906 Phono Stage.

20180309_153722-jpg.26025
20180309_153733-jpg.26026
20180309_153759-jpg.26027
20180309_153806-jpg.26028

Nothing in position yet plus I need to pick up some interconnects today. I wasn't expecting to pick it up yesterday. So I can't actually listen to it yet.

Cheers
Rob

advertisement

Back